Unfinished_Projects

[MOC] Powered Boxcar (Power Functions)

I created this boxcar to push my unpowered locomotives.  It has all necessary Power Functions equipment with 2 train motors.  It allows me to create locomotives without having to incorporate power.  The IR receiver is mounted sideways because I run my trains on a wall mounted track about close to the ceiling (see picture).  In the future I hope to add a rechargeable battery and power pickups (for a hybrid 9v/Power Functions system).

Thanks for looking!

Unfinished_Projects

Powered Box FinalPowered BoxcarPowered Box Car_07_04_42_CopyBNSF and Powered Box Car_2

Designed using Stud.io 2.0 and rendered with POV-RAY

Very nice design. I have something similar that I use for my Santa Fe engines.  I'd be interested in giving your model a try.  Are the instructions and parts list available for download?

for your power pickups will you just mod a non working 9v motor or do you plan on creating custom power pickups like i did?

XGBC

2 hours ago, legobanker said:

Very nice design. I have something similar that I use for my Santa Fe engines.  I'd be interested in giving your model a try.  Are the instructions and parts list available for download?

Thanks! I do not have instructions, but here is the ldraw file:   http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03491049086515479738

*Please note that this file is not perfect, and I had to make a couple changes when I built it in real bricks*

2 hours ago, XGBC said:

for your power pickups will you just mod a non working 9v motor or do you plan on creating custom power pickups like i did?

I plan on adding metal wheels to a power functions motor, but have thought of separate pickups.  Do you have any pictures of yours?

Edited by Unfinished_Projects
Forgot to add detail

my power pickups arent that good because they cant pass switches but i will send you a picture of them anyways later. where do you plan on getting metal weels for the pf train motor? will they be with a technic cross axle hole?

how do you send more than one picture i cant do that i have got no flickr account or something like that.

can you help me?

XGBC

8 hours ago, XGBC said:

my power pickups arent that good because they cant pass switches but i will send you a picture of them anyways later. where do you plan on getting metal weels for the pf train motor? will they be with a technic cross axle hole?

Awesome thanks! 

I bought some from NWSL. Same as in this picture by Michael Gale:

Lego Train Bogie Plastic/Metal Wheelsets

15 minutes ago, XGBC said:

how do you send more than one picture i cant do that i have got no flickr account or something like that.

can you help me?

XGBC

I created a free flickr account, it was pretty easy. Then I just copied the share link for each picture and it automatically embedded. You could use any picture hosting site I'm sure. 

Unfinished_Projects

ok thats intresting but thanks anyways i think your metal weels look rly good are the dimentions the same

3 hours ago, XGBC said:

ok thats intresting but thanks anyways i think your metal weels look rly good are the dimentions the same

Yes the dimensions are very close (slightly different flange size)

3 hours ago, Cosmik42 said:

Very nice!

Thanks!

Unfinished_Projects

one thing i could think of that would be an issue is that you dont have enough traction because the lego weels have rubber on them the other ones not. it is however not an issue if you dont plan on powering those.

6 hours ago, XGBC said:

one thing i could think of that would be an issue is that you dont have enough traction because the lego weels have rubber on them the other ones not. 

Yeah I was thinking of that. I plan on only having 2 of the 4 wheels metal, but that might lead to connection issues

Nice boxcar. Have you tried putting the IR receiver behind the ladder? I think that'd make it less obvious, and it shouldn't block the IR signal. 

if you have two boogies you cold do one as the power pickup and the other one for good traction but meke shure that both of them are powered by a motor because you have better power pickup with your metal weels if they are turning too

XGBC

1 hour ago, mostlytechnic said:

Nice boxcar. Have you tried putting the IR receiver behind the ladder?

I have not, but that's a great idea! Thanks! 

39 minutes ago, XGBC said:

if you have two boogies you cold do one as the power pickup and the other one for good traction

That would probably work good

Unfinished_Projects

Nice power car.  It's kind of like those HEP (Head End Power) cars back in the early days of Amtrak and VIA Rail before they got all HEP equiped locomotives.

11 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Nice power car.  It's kind of like those HEP (Head End Power) cars back in the early days of Amtrak and VIA Rail before they got all HEP equiped locomotives.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The technique to reduce the axle section is very interesting! :thumbup:

It is! I haven't tried it yet though.

Unfinished_Projects