Weatherman

Help: Lego Boost Move Hub Whining Sound

I am new to this forum, so if I am not posting this in the right place, I apologize.

I was hoping someone here could help me. We got a Lego Boost for our daughter for Christmas and she recently started digging in to the different designs. She just built the guitar, and once she attached the "strumming" mechanism and the "whammy bar," anytime she uses one of those items, the Move Hub makes a loud whine. We can't get the whammy bar function to work at all, it just makes the Move Hub whine when we move it. The strumming tool works, but it also makes a high-pitched whine when we move it up or down. I am dumbfounded, as I know all the actual sounds are supposed to come from the iPad. These high-pitched whines, however, are coming from the Move Hub most definitely. It makes the guitar model almost unusable because it overpowers the sound of the guitar coming from the iPad.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? I am torn between returning the whole set and trying to figure it out. I don't want to wait too long and miss my return policy deadline, but my daughter loves the set and I would love for it to work for her. I have actually heard the high-pitched whine in a number of YouTube videos of people using the guitar, so I'm hesitant to think that I just got a bum unit. Lego has been nice enough to offer to change out the Move Hub, but I am worried that one will be the same, and by then I won't be able to return the set. Ugh. Sorry for the long post. I'm just really frustrated by this sound coming from the Move Hub, which I cannot get rid of. Any help would be SOOOO appreciated!

A high pitch noise is likely a motor or multiple motors that want to do something but just don't have enough power. Maybe the batteries are low? I think the best way is to contact LEGO about it, they will probably be able to give you the best advice on it.  

Thank you so much for your advice. I honestly have no idea. The batteries are brand new, so I'm not sure if it could be that, but that doesn't mean it isn't still the motor. I wish I could insert a video here to let people know what it sounds like exactly. Ugh. It is so frustrating. It's like a high-pitched tone that rings just when I try to use some of the features on the Lego Boost. I contacted Lego, and they offered to send me out a new Move Hub, but I'm worried it's not going to fix the issue. I can actually hear the same sound in some other videos online, so I'm not an isolated incident. Although I don't know why not many other people are complaining (although some are).

I wish I had more expertise in this area to answer that. Basically, when it does certain functions, it makes a loud noise. I imagine it could be doing that sound whenever the motor is in use. For example, in the guitar mode, the sounds along the neck are made by an optical sensor that is plugged into the Move Hub. It does not make any high-pitched sound when it is reading the optical sensor and sending the info to the iPad to create guitar sounds. Once I use the strumming mechanism or the whammy bar, which seem to be motor-related. I get the high-pitched tone.

I was able to find this YouTube video that shows what I am dealing with. Any thoughts?

Hey, Admiral1. I never got a clear explanation. The closest info I got was that the motor is pushing the HUB to send a signal, and this is what causes the noise.I contacted Lego, and they said that the Lego Boost in their office makes the same noise, and that it is not uncommon. Seems strange to have allowed a toy that makes such a noise to pass quality control. It was disappointing. 

Edited by Weatherman

Hi Weatherman.  Thanks for getting back.  Seems strange to me as well, esp for a huge company that must employ ??# of engineers.  "Its not uncommon" is not a very useful answer.  I emailed them with my issue.  Ill let you know what they say

Hi, Admiral1. I completely agree with you. It seems so strange that a large company like Lego would let a toy with this kind of issue pass muster and hit the market. Customer service was very nice and did all they could, but wow, why would Lego not get its engineers to fix such a noise, especially when it is in association with a musical toy. Unbelievable. I am actually glad you voiced your concern as well, because I thought I was the only one and was feeling a bit nuts. Let me know if you ever come up with any fixes.