All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players “As You Like It, Act II, Scene vii)

In my MOC Lego minifigs are the players. I have tried to create the world of many of Shakespeare’s plays in Lego. I was inspired by the beautiful painting “Shakespearean Fantasy” by James Christensen, which is why there is a forest above the buildings. There are 19 plays represented in my MOC. Hope you can recognize most of them, although a few are from some less well known plays. I have included some animation and music to the model as well. The movement of Prospero is adapted from Jason Alemann’s Fisherman Kinetic Sculpture on JKBrickworks. Katherine is being chased by Petruchio while the “Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet” by Nino Rota plays. The movement was adapted from Pixeljunkie’s Swan Lake Ballet creation. The videos can be seen on my flickr page as well as closer images of all of the 19 plays. 

(I used mostly yellow minifigs except in those instances where the characters skin colour was relevant, they were magical creatures or they were dead or dying.)

*Not sure if this is the correct forum but since most of the plays are set in the late1500s or earlier I placed it here.

46015195674_b15aa4a704_h.jpgShakespearean Fantasy 2 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

31798452597_4fe947c108_c.jpgShakepearean Fantasy 1 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

32864676218_bc05541245_c.jpgShakepearean Fantasy 3 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

32864685278_ea13a16d17_c.jpgShakepearean Fantasy 4 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46740095011_907587a781_b.jpgShakepearean Fantasy 5 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

31798726467_0b371859eb_c.jpgShakespearean Fantasy 6 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46733022511_9dc3ae84d9_c.jpgThe Tempest/Macbeth by Karen Metz, on Flickr

I'm ashamed that I was only able to pick up a couple Shakespear plays out of the 19 (I'm obviously not a literature guy), but this set does scream Shakespear to me regardless. Lovely work. The scenes blend together really well despite being very different from each other.

Great build.  I really like the architecture, especially the arches, color choices and different scenes.  The landscaping is really good, I like the trees the small ones at the top are neat.  The rockwork is nicely done.  The water feature has some nice piece usage.  The figs are very interesting too.  

19 hours ago, leafan said:

Fantastic!

Thanks!

15 hours ago, locidm said:

I'm ashamed that I was only able to pick up a couple Shakespear plays out of the 19 (I'm obviously not a literature guy), but this set does scream Shakespear to me regardless. Lovely work. The scenes blend together really well despite being very different from each other.

Getting the different time periods to mesh was one of the more challenging parts. Here are the list of all of the plays and some closer photos (sorry for the quality of these pics): 

Love’s Labour’s Lost/ Timon of Athens/ Romeo and Juliet/ Macbeth/ The Tempest/ Hamlet/ Twelfth Night/ King Lear/ Merchant of Venice/ As You Like It/ Midsummer Night’s Dream/ Julius Caesar/ Richard III/ Antony and Cleopatra/ A Winter’s Tale/ Taming of the Shrew/ Merry Wives of Windsor/ Othello/ Measure for Measure and of course the bard, William himself.

46687490652_5c999492c7_m.jpgJulius Caesar/Antony and Cleopatra by Karen Metz, on Flickr

39775322393_1f212fc347_m.jpgLove's Labour's Lost by Karen Metz, on Flickr

39775360813_4e4c30516a_m.jpgRomeo and Juliet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

32865329958_a45077860f_m.jpgRichard III by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46687869022_49883923cf_m.jpgTimon of Athens by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46740700301_b18c824f41_m.jpgMidsummer Night's Dream/As You Like It by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46016026334_e4efef2bfb_m.jpgA Winter's Tale by Karen Metz, on Flickr

45825231115_bf3a109af4_m.jpgMeasure For Measure by Karen Metz, on Flickr

45824682035_9a893c2e69_m.jpgOthello by Karen Metz, on Flickr

31798751027_64c5fe65d4_m.jpgKing Lear/Hamlet/Twelfth Night by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46687465862_52b11ace12_m.jpgMerry Wives of Windsor by Karen Metz, on Flickr

46008366484_82201c1d6b_m.jpgMerchant of Venice by Karen Metz, on Flickr

12 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Great build.  I really like the architecture, especially the arches, color choices and different scenes.  The landscaping is really good, I like the trees the small ones at the top are neat.  The rockwork is nicely done.  The water feature has some nice piece usage.  The figs are very interesting too.  

Thanks for the lovely comments. I ordered a few of the minifig tree trunks and lots of the new leaf pieces to try a new style of tree. Glad you like the water. I tried making the sea look as violent as possible for Prospero commanding it in The Tempest. Fun going through all my minifigs to try and create the characters.

The theme is a brilliant idea, and the execution is wonderful. This is a scenery which is so interesting to explore. If you ever have some spare time, you could consider doing H. C. Andersen fairytales? Keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, pantelis said:

i like al the collors and the details of this creation..superB

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Marghal said:

The theme is a brilliant idea, and the execution is wonderful. This is a scenery which is so interesting to explore. If you ever have some spare time, you could consider doing H. C. Andersen fairytales? Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind comments. An MOC with H.C. Andersen fairytales is a great idea. I love lots of his stories. There are so many to choose from.

Wow, quite a blast. One could turn the model forever and still discover new details in this.

And those cranks and handles are intriguing. What wonders happen if you twist/turn them?

2 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Wow, quite a blast. One could turn the model forever and still discover new details in this.

And those cranks and handles are intriguing. What wonders happen if you twist/turn them?

Thanks! The crank on the water makes the waves and Prospero move and the other crank near the pine trees causes a music box to play the theme song from Romeo and Juliet and two figures from "The Taming of the Shrew" to move around the columns. Here are the links to the videos on may flickr page. Not sure if the videos will play here.

32865402128_864d46a066.jpgTempest (1) by Karen Metz, on Flickr

32865376668_3b5cfdc463.jpgTaming of the Shrew by Karen Metz, on Flickr

The vignette from The Tempest is definitely my favorite, but all the scenes are identifiable (most of them--I don't recognize every play) and fit well together despite being so different. Very well done :thumbup:

On 1/22/2019 at 2:56 PM, rodiziorobs said:

The vignette from The Tempest is definitely my favorite, but all the scenes are identifiable (most of them--I don't recognize every play) and fit well together despite being so different. Very well done :thumbup:

Thanks! The Tempest scene is my favourite as well. Some of the plays are more obscure. I have seen many of them but not all. The plays cover many different locations and time periods so it was interesting trying to get them to go together.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, Stillinamerica said:

So much detail well done

Thanks!