AgentRick

6071 Dark Dragon's Den review

indexed.gif

Here's a review of the second largest set in the Dragon Masters subtheme for castle month, Dark Dragon's Den!

photo_2.jpg

Figs:

photo_4.jpg

The set comes with 3 Dragon knights, two of which have the dragon wings on their helmets(Sad thing is, one of my knights was missing the left wing on the helmet). :cry_sad: There are also the definitive dragon, Wiz the wizard (or Majisto if you prefer)two horses, and a hawk( try to find him in each picture!)

The set:

photo_9.jpg

there's a large spot under the mountain for the dragon to guard the treasure chest. The chest has 2 red and green 1x1 circles in it.

photo_11.jpg

Another gate in the back, along with a door for knights.

photo_12.jpg

The right side of the mountain has a ladder and a removable rock face.

photo_16.jpg

The left side has some stairs leading up to the top.

photo_30.jpg

I love this tree design. simple yet effective.

photo_38.jpg

A shot of the top- Hey, what are you doing?!? NO!!

photo_49.jpg

Throw him in the dungeon!

Overall:

This set when first released in 1993 was priced at $43USD, although that might just be because of the <insert that tiresome argument> pieces (6 BURPs!). It's a fun set that provides excellent playability. If you can find it at a $20-$30 price point, pick it up. Overall grade: 8/10

Edited by KimT

This is around the time that many consider the decline of castle, in which point I somewhat agree, but admittedly it still looks like a very playable set, and the tree is very well done. Thank you for the review!

Thanks every much for the review! I remember having this set, and making really terrible stop-motion movies with it. :laugh: Very playable. This brings back lot's of fond memories! :wink: Thanks!

Majisto ON! :skull:

Ah, the wonderful Dragon Knight (Or was it Dragon Masters?) sets. I personally preferred the Black Knights, but these guys still had some awesome sets!

Thanks for this review, this looks like a neat little set, although those modern stairs look a little out of place. :tongue: That tree design is indeed a neat one, I remember having that in one dark Forestmen set I got. The interior sure is roomy. :sweet:

May I suggest for future review you photograph the set on a cleared table, that way you won't get distracted by the clutter in the background and can focus on the main part of the image, the set.

~Peace

This is probably one of my favourite sets and/or one of the sets which I wish I owned..the 90's was probably my favourite castle era! tobad I was to young to buy this set when it came out :sadnew: Man I wish I had one of those dragons, they were one of the best type I reckon although all the dragon's are good

thanks for the reveiw :thumbup:

Edited by hollisbrick

Yay, go Dragon Masters! I have to agree with iamded, I do like the Black Knights sets better for their design ( :oh3: betrayal! :tongue: ), however, the Dragon Knights are just awesome, 'cause they have dragons! :wub:

This is a nice set, with some awesome minifigs and a nice overall design. I wish I had it... :cry_sad:

Go KyogreDragon2.gif Masters!

Agent Rick: You're definately the Dragon Master around these parts. What a great little set. I really like the classic dragon which reminds me of a similar style used for the Lego crocodiles. And the dungeon is pretty slick too. I like the use of the large gates plus the doors. Plus the set contains the blue wizard. Awesome!

Great review.

Great Classic Dragon Den! :tongue: I love the old green dragons very much! There were my fave. I love these theme very much after the Black Knights era. This is a very very good set! I wished i can have this too. :blush:

A very neat set with charming MFs and a great classic dragon, a good use of BURPs and a really nice tree indeed. :cry_happy:

Thanks for the review, AgentRick57! :thumbup:

this was the last castle set i got before my dark age..

really liked it although the big rock parts looked really bad ( i am kind of used to them now)

unfortunately i lost the little wand..

and i never understood who is "good" and who is "bad"

does the wizard own the dragon?

well they dont seem to be enemies but isnt the dragon supposed to be evil??

the wizard somehow "controls" the dragons i think, like, for example the wizard of the new castle line does with the undead skeletons. but i think it isn't sure that the dragon master's wizard is evil. as it is still unclear which factions of the older castle series are "good" or "bad".

this was the last castle set i got before my dark age..

really liked it although the big rock parts looked really bad ( i am kind of used to them now)

unfortunately i lost the little wand..

and i never understood who is "good" and who is "bad"

does the wizard own the dragon?

well they dont seem to be enemies but isnt the dragon supposed to be evil??

I always liked the BURPs, I don't know why. Maybe because they were dark grey and dark grey pieces seemed a bit hard to come by at the time. I always assumed that the dragon was, sort of, the mascot of the Dragon Masters. The wizard was there to keep him under control so he wouldn't turn on them. I always figured that the wizard was working with the Dragon Master King, and they were fighting against the Royal Knights (the dudes with the lion faces on their torsos), or whatever they were called.

I like this set a lot. I think the castle theme declined after the Dragon Masters and Royal Knights themes were discontinued. The new knights never really took the cake. It's funny, but it seems, to me anyways, that when the Lego Minifigs lost their regular smile/smirk faces (whether they were masked by a beard or not), that's when Lego began to decline...a bit. The Dragon Masters had their vicious faces and all, but they still had that smile/smirk underneath their rough exteriors. The new knights look a little...less confident.

I own this set and I think its a great for a smaller fortress building. There is a good selection of mini figs, the BURPS do detract somewhat from the set, but they do make it feel as if its in a large cave. The cloth flags that are included are really nice and mine have lasted a long time.