Sign in to follow this  
narbilu

Oceans apart [Ch II Cat A]

It is a good thing that  Bran keeps a short leach with his family on the other sde of the ocean. The abundance of food that grow in Hemresa, a large island within the borders of Avalonia, is a good trade good versus the high quality clothing that the Khaor supply.

The Khaor family have a small fleet of trading vessels like the one shown below, that sail to and from Varlyrio and Kashgar almost all seasons of the year.

46684714352_bcc1475a62_c.jpg

Spoiler

The port of Kashgar (WIP 13th Januari 2019)

46684713712_bc2090baf3_c.jpg

Edited by narbilu

This is a good looking build, especially because the angles imply movement and action quite nicely. I wish Kabel was still here to tell me if I am right to think of this as a "sloop" or if it's a "skiff" or what. :P

Nice little boat.  I like the hull and simple design although the top seems a bit open for those boxes LOL.  

Very nice little boat. Looks suitable for fast trips, small valuable cargos, snuggling and the like. Looks a bit risky for the two crew for sea travel but if the weather is fine and the trips are short. It is very credible that a trading family would have a dozen of these smaller ships so as not to put all their eggs in one basket for pirates and bad weather. 

Just one question... how many crates fall overboard on the average journey?

Really lovely ship design, great choice of sail, the colours go nicely. The dark blue base presents it well too.

Good job!

That's a great small ship design!  I like the use of the dark blue for water as well.  I would agree that it looks like some of those boxes are not secure!  If you have a net piece, you can throw it over the boxes like they used to do to secure stuff on deck.  Nice job!

On 1/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, Grover said:

I would agree that it looks like some of those boxes are not secure!

I had a net over the boxes, but photo wise it turned out too sloppy, so I removed it again for the pictures.

I like the small boat, though I do wonder at its efficiency at transporting goods on a lengthy sea voyage. It does not have much cargo room, and if the waves get heavy at all, those boxes are going overboard (there's an Eric Carle kids book that I sometimes read to my kids, in which a box of rubber ducks wash off a boat going across the sea due to a big wave - that's what I think of when I see this). The boat itself is nice, though! I don't really like the base, as it is a bit too bulky for the build, and it causes the boat to look awkwardly crunched inside it, and the water leaking out is not working for me visually. I think no border would have been better, as it would better give the impression that the boat is on the wide sea. 

I like the boat, and the representation of your families shipping.  I too think the brown curved tile adds a lot in the back.  Nice work!