ProvenceTristram

[MOC] MECH 3-E "Kodiak"

Because when you have a problem, you call in the 'big white bear.'

... to, uh... make things worse. Since that's what bears generally do.

BTVNLAx.gif

Ahem.

This particular unit is equipped for long-term reconnaissance, and features a habitability module "pack" with a small bedroom and additional supplies, as well as thrusters to allow the mech to ford rivers, or leap up cliff faces, etc. However, the pack can be removed and swapped for a number of different alternatives depending on the mission - everything from a flame-throwing nacelle, to a fugitive processing cage and interrogation chamber, to a miniature nuclear missile silo are at a commander's disposal. Yes, with the Kodiak, the world is your oyster... to smash open and devour raw.

Standard armaments include a four-barrel shoulder chain gun, quad anti-air/anti-ground short range missile launcher, and dual 100mm arm cannons. Oh, and a fist with claws. Meow!

xzUnvdR.png

Link to full-size original: https://i.imgur.com/xzUnvdR.png

The model is actually less than 500 pieces, which I would consider to be darned frugal for a robot that stands almost a foot tall.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Completely redesigned the cockpit. I never liked the single B-wing piece, and feel like this is a much better solution (it also allows for a navigator/gunnery officer to have an official seat below and forward of the pilot).

I wish that it was able to angle aggressively outwards about 45 from the top of the bubble, but after an hour of messing with it, I can't see any way to accomplish that while retaining the technique (stolen from the Jedi Starfighters) for the sides of the cockpit itself - the pieces necessary to accomplish any kind of a smooth transition simply don't exist.

RRtmgLS.png

9HpD1Kl.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

I realize nobody is paying attention, but I did manage to overcome the angling issues by completely redesigning the torso of the unit. It's a little more cramped inside the front of the cockpit; substantially roomier in the back. There is still room for 3-4 figs, depending on their positioning.

OtOoLtk.png

EHBY3Ys.png

I like how the first model looks more agile: by the third iteration it seems more heavy-duty and slow, more tank-like. For that reason, the second version is probably my favorite--it adds in some of the chunky aesthetic while still looking nimble. The cockpit is a huge improvement on the second model as well, and the overall shape I think just fits together really well, its very coherent. The color on all three is nice, with the orange pack to contrast the monochrome.

It's not always easy to revisit a model and break it down in order to improve it. Great work, though, thanks for sharing! :thumbup: