I'm changing from LPub4/3D to Stud.io for making instructions and need to get my head around this new software as quickly as possible. So far I'm finding it to be much faster and more efficient to use, but there are a few things I haven't yet been able to figure out...

Firstly, page size. I notice there's an option for x2 size, but even keeping this at the x1 setting, producing an A4 page still results in a PDF at double A4 size. Any ideas on what is happening?

Secondly, LPub had a "treat as part" option for sub-models, but I can't find an equivalent function in Stud.io. Specifically, I want to have a sub-model minifigure show up in PLI and BOM as a single part, rather than have its arms and legs etc. all showing separately. Is there a solution for this?

Thirdly, the rendering feature crashes my laptop, even on the lowest settings. It starts processing then the screen goes black and I have to hard-reboot. Ideas? Is the renderer stable for most users? I don't strictly need the renderer for instructions, but it would be nice if I could get it to work.

So I have been doing pro instructions for over a year and I do not recommend studio for instructions of a pro-level for anything bigger than a few hundred parts. The layout process and other features are not as flexible as the features in LPub3D. 

That being said, here are a few tricks I use:

• Instead of setting the page size by inches or centimeters, You will want to set the page by DPI. For nice instructions that will be digital delivery, I use 150 DPI so 8.5"x11" is 1275px x 1650px. For print, I just use the 2x export option to get 300 DPI pages.
  • Once I have all the pages laid out, I export as PNG with a transparent background color. I bring them into Adobe InDesign to put the images on the page as well as add text, covers, page number, etc. 

To answer your other questions, the Minifigs are a work in progress and the updates and info from BrickLink is sparse and scattered. There is not "treat as part" option yet. The renderer may be set to use your GPU, which seems buggy so try it with the CPU. There are also bugs in this part as well. 

Another disadvantage is that you are stuck with the 7 or so page layouts offered, you cannot have a bunch of steps on one page for a small sub-build. There is also no way to have a 2 row callout even tho it is an advertised feature. 

Ultimately, I recommend that the process of putting the parts into steps is done in Studio because the instruction maker step process is very streamlined, but then I export to LDR and bring it into LPub3D for the layout side of things. 

If you want to see the quality of instructions produced in this manner, you can download any of the free instructions in the "trackside accessories" section of Iron Horse Brick Co's website linked below. They are the 150 DPI digital versions that I have described above. 

Also, I know that you have been making instructions for a long time and I would be happy to help you out with any questions. Feel free to PM me if you need more help. 

On rendering in Stud.io, have you tried a very small model? Maybe your PC just needs more time. My old PC used to take almost an hour to render one step with LPUB. I thought it crashed but it just needed more time. It didn't have enough RAM and GPU wasn't fast enough. Blakbird (many years ago) used to have to leave his renders to process overnight. Try a a small model, 10-20 pieces, see how long it takes. I've noticed POV Ray is a little faster than Photo Real.

Adding to 1963maniac's advice - use task manager performance to see what is working while you render. Also which render and it's settings you use makes a huge difference.

Edited by knotian

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the useful help and suggestions.

I'm still not sure what's happening with the page size, but I found an online tool that will resize it back to A4.

For the minifig I've just deleted it temporarily from the file so as to create a BOM without the fig or its component parts.

And the renderer is no longer crashing my system since changing from the GPU setting to CPU.

I think that this would be the best topic to ask this question: How to get Parts list from studio instruction maker to appear on multiple pages?

I haven't seen any options for that and I can't even resize or divide the parts list (you know, the big one with blue background, one with ALL the parts necessary for the model). It always appear on one page, with only some parts that are visible and the rest are somewhere outside the page boundaries.

How can I split that on more pages?

Edited by pagicence

On 4/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, pagicence said:

I think that this would be the best topic to ask this question: How to get Parts list from studio instruction maker to appear on multiple pages?

I haven't seen any options for that and I can't even resize or divide the parts list (you know, the big one with blue background, one with ALL the parts necessary for the model). It always appear on one page, with only some parts that are visible and the rest are somewhere outside the page boundaries.

How can I split that on more pages?

I find that Stud.io splits the BOM across multiple pages automatically. You can change how many pages are used by adjusting the scale of the BOM images.

One problem I'm still having is that the x1 A4 settings for exporting to PDF still produce a PDF at double-A4 size. (Setting to x2 output produces x4-A4 size.) I can only get actual A4 output by setting the page size to half-A4 size, which then results in low resolution. The issue seems to be the lack of any way to adjust resolution (pixels per cm), and that the default setting is incorrect, producing a page size twice what it should be for the number of pixels on the page.

Is anyone else finding the same thing? Am I missing something, or is this a flaw for future updates to fix?

6 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I find that Stud.io splits the BOM across multiple pages automatically. You can change how many pages are used by adjusting the scale of the BOM images.

One problem I'm still having is that the x1 A4 settings for exporting to PDF still produce a PDF at double-A4 size. (Setting to x2 output produces x4-A4 size.) I can only get actual A4 output by setting the page size to half-A4 size, which then results in low resolution. The issue seems to be the lack of any way to adjust resolution (pixels per cm), and that the default setting is incorrect, producing a page size twice what it should be for the number of pixels on the page.

Is anyone else finding the same thing? Am I missing something, or is this a flaw for future updates to fix?

I mentioned earlier that the page resolution is messed up so setting page size by pixels instead of centimeters or inches and then using a layout software such as Adobe InDesign produces much better results. 

Just now, supertruper1988 said:

I mentioned earlier that the page resolution is messed up so setting page size by pixels instead of centimeters or inches and then using a layout software such as Adobe InDesign produces much better results. 

Thank you. I realize it is possible to use third-party software to adjust things afterwards. But final layout and cover etc is done for me by someone else, so I was just looking to confirm that the fixed (and incorrect) resolution in Stud.io is a limitation of the software rather than a setting I am somewhere missing.

The biggest problem I'm having is that Stud.io keeps crashing after each 50 pages or so of a project, but I think that just means I need a new and more powerful laptop.

21 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Thank you. I realize it is possible to use third-party software to adjust things afterwards. But final layout and cover etc is done for me by someone else, so I was just looking to confirm that the fixed (and incorrect) resolution in Stud.io is a limitation of the software rather than a setting I am somewhere missing.

The biggest problem I'm having is that Stud.io keeps crashing after each 50 pages or so of a project, but I think that just means I need a new and more powerful laptop.

I would be happy to take a look at it to confirm. You can PM me directly if you would like to discuss further. 

I wanted to make instructions for my Steelix (800 pieces) in Studio, but I can't figure it out haha.

Are there no tutorials for it? I haven't found anything useful. I'll have to go back to my method of just deleting bricks from a model as I build it :[

No tutorials or instructions. That has been a problem with Stud.io from the beginning. If you want to take the time, just load your model and select instructions. You will see how it does it. If you have questions holler!

Ed

How to adjust the size of the 1:1 size guide of e.g. axles?

Currently, the goal of my new building instruction is to print it on A5. But the only way to get correct size guides is to select a recommended format and A5 is not in the list. Is there a way around this? 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:04 AM, knotian said:

No tutorials or instructions. That has been a problem with Stud.io from the beginning. If you want to take the time, just load your model and select instructions. You will see how it does it. If you have questions holler!

Ed

Someday maybe I'll make a video. Feel free to PM me.

Instructions for Instructions in Studio:

A. Check off "step view" above the parts list (the Step List) on the right. This will hide all pieces in steps below the currently-selected step.

B. Separate your model piece list into steps:

1. Click the "+" in the bottom right to add a step (a new, empty "step 2" - make sure it added the new empty step as Step 2, and not at the very bottom of your steps (once you have lots of steps). If it inserted it elsewhere, move it so that it's Step 2.
  2. Select several pieces in your model that are accessible (not buried). Drag them into the empty Step 2.
  3. Click on a piece in Step 1. All pieces in later steps (all pieces already separated into steps) will disappear. 
  4. Repeat steps B1-B3 until all the pieces in your model are separated into steps. Basically you're deconstructing your model, backwards (the first pieces you remove/move into a step will be the last step).
  5. If you made any submodels, select them from the drop down above the parts list (drop down will say "Main Model" at first) and repeat the process to separate the pieces into steps, if necessary (if it's a submodel with only a few pieces, it may not be necessary). Choose "main model" from the drop down to return to the main model.

C. Click "Instruction" icon. Click "Page Design".

D. See what you've been given, and tweak as necessary - shrinking the parts list when it's too big and covers the model; moving, resizing, or rotating the model. To resize or rotate the model, click on the model but not a specific piece - if you click a specific piece, on the right there will be a blue button that says "Activate buffer exchange" and you don't want that. You want the button that says "change step view". Click that, then you can rotate and resize.

E. If you discover a problem with your steps, click exit and fix. It will remember the work you've done on the instructions up to that point. (assuming you've been saving)

F. Export the instructions to PDF. "2x" will give the same size page (last I tried it) but the images will be more detailed - sharper when you zoom in. If you're not actually printing the instructions on paper, paper size doesn't matter. If you are printing to paper, when you open the PDF in Acrobat, you can tell it to shrink pages to fit the paper size you've selected, so it's never been an issue for me.

Edited by vermontcathy

1 hour ago, vermontcathy said:

A. Check off "step view" above the parts list (the Step List) on the right. This will hide all pieces in steps below the currently-selected step.

1. Click the "+" in the bottom right to add a step (a new, empty "step 2" - make sure it added the new empty step as Step 2, and not at the very bottom of your steps (once you have lots of steps). If it inserted it elsewhere, move it so that it's Step 2.
  2. Select several pieces in your model that are accessible (not buried). Drag them into the empty Step 2.
  3. Click on a piece in Step 1. All pieces in later steps (all pieces already separated into steps) will disappear. 
  4. Repeat steps B1-B3 until all the pieces in your model are separated into steps. Basically you're deconstructing your model, backwards (the first pieces you remove/move into a step will be the last step).
  5. If you made any submodels, select them from the drop down above the parts list (drop down will say "Main Model" at first) and repeat the process to separate the pieces into steps, if necessary (if it's a submodel with only a few pieces, it may not be necessary). Choose "main model" from the drop down to return to the main model.

C. Click "Instruction" icon. Click "Page Design".

D. See what you've been given, and tweak as necessary - shrinking the parts list when it's too big and covers the model; moving, resizing, or rotating the model. To resize or rotate the model, click on the model but not a specific piece - if you click a specific piece, on the left there will be a blue button that says "Activate buffer exchange" and you don't want that. You want the button that says "change step view". Click that, then you can rotate and resize.

E. If you discover a problem with your steps, click exit and fix. It will remember the work you've done on the instructions up to that point. (assuming you've been saving)

F. Export the instructions to PDF. "2x" will give the same size page (last I tried it) but the images will be more detailed - sharper when you zoom in. If you're not actually printing the instructions on paper, paper size doesn't matter. If you are printing to paper, when you open the PDF in Acrobat, you can tell it to shrink pages to fit the paper size you've selected, so it's never been an issue for me.

Knowing how you use Stud.io is very helpful!!

Hey guys,
I also have a stud.io 2.0 n00b question.

So, I've bought these awesome MOC-"instructions" from Rebrickable as my first (non-standard set) project.
The so called instructions turned out to be an .lxf file for the old official LEGO designer.
I've already imported it to stud.io, looked at it, turned it into a parts list but now I'd like to make instructions from it as well.
The problem is, according to stud.io, the model only has one step (finished model).
Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a way for stud.io to break up the model into steps?
At this point, I feel like my only choice would be to take the model apart in studio and then hit "undo" a thousand times  (pretty much building it in stud.io again).

But I figured, maybe there are pros here, who have better ideas.

Thanks for your help!

On 1/17/2020 at 10:12 AM, vermontcathy said:

From my above post...

It's a bummer someone charged money for a model, and didn't have PDF steps, or at least a file broken into steps.

Thanks for your quick reply Cathy! I just realized that you've already answered my question earlier, sorry about that.

No worries, it wasn't expensive at all. But yeah, calling it instructions without steps seems especially cheap.
At least I know what I'll be doing over the next few weekends.

41 minutes ago, Ydeman said:

Hey guys,
I also have a stud.io 2.0 n00b question.

So, I've bought these awesome MOC-"instructions" from Rebrickable as my first (non-standard set) project.
The so called instructions turned out to be an .lxf file for the old official LEGO designer.
I've already imported it to stud.io, looked at it, turned it into a parts list but now I'd like to make instructions from it as well.
The problem is, according to stud.io, the model only has one step (finished model).
Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a way for stud.io to break up the model into steps?
At this point, I feel like my only choice would be to take the model apart in studio and then hit "undo" a thousand times  (pretty much building it in stud.io again).

But I figured, maybe there are pros here, who have better ideas.

Thanks for your help!

The first thing I do with an LXF file is convert it and save in a format/ version I will be using. It's probably unnecessary to even say this at this point. 

There might be instructions in the LXF (generally, LDD-generated instructions are crap, but still).  Studio doesn’t convert the instructions from LXF but lxf2ldr.html can.

In Page Design, you can insert pages everywhere with the “+” icon on top of the page thumbnails.  Then you have the “Insert” button/menu on middle top of the screen.  You can insert text, images, …, and “Bill of Materials” = parts list.

Hello everyone, is there a minifigure blank template available anywhere? Specifically, I'm looking for one I can use in GIMP to then make custom decals in Part Designer?