Sign in to follow this  
locidm

MOC - LOTR Helm's Deep

Just got back into Lego building three months ago, and this is my first MOC. I've learned a lot the past few months from all of you so thank you for all of our contribution to this great website.

I was so excited when I first learned of the official Helm's Deep set, and knew I wanted to make it my first MOC. Did some research and found Eurolock's fantastic MOC Helm's Deep, and was inspired to do something similar. Did more research on Helm's Deep and came across Adam Middleton's excellent cross section art work of Helm's Deep (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9gdly). The layout of my MOC for the most part follows Adam's cross section (see the link), while the actual Lego building was very much based on Eurolock's MOC. I had to limit the scope to just the main gate of the great hall due to space constraints, but the build is still plenty big. 

IsrMCbGh.jpg

f8BIKSUh.jpg

Once inside the keep, a ramp to the left takes you to the main archway of the inner keep. On the other side, it leads down to the entrance of the stables, which is what Adam's cross section depict it to be.

u6YYSGDh.jpg

From Adam's cross section, there is a basement underneath the entrance of the great hall, which I think is where the armory is supposed to be (watched the film over and over and no hint on the armory's location). The armory is accessed through an archway just inside the main archway to the inner keep, where there are stairs that leads down to the armory.

e7xbdX2h.jpg

eMfcXsnh.jpg

BUbHsQXh.jpg

Above the entrance of the great hall on the second floor is supposed to be the living quarters. I made the area next to the windows a private dining area.

nw4EYHBh.jpg

Battle:

PbiqhG9h.jpg

gxtwE8th.jpg

hA1AiSZh.jpg

TgOQHjhh.jpg

Critiques and comments welcomed. 

Edited by locidm

Looks fantastic.....but perhaps I am a bit biased! 

You have nice details that I didn’t manage to include...like the steps at the slide of the ramp that winds up to the main keep.

I've always wanted to do this one!  I love how you kept the original and just built it into you MOC.  Great work!

1 hour ago, Eurolock said:

Looks fantastic.....but perhaps I am a bit biased! 

You have nice details that I didn’t manage to include...like the steps at the slide of the ramp that winds up to the main keep.

Thanks! Means a lot to hear it from you, biased or not! :) I remember having a hard time figuring out how you made the front of the great hall as that was the first piece I tackled Even though i managed to create something I’m satisfied with I’m still curious of the technique you used (if I got close). I like how yours had the vertical columns with seemingly no gaps all the way to the top. I wish I have space for the actual interior of the Great hall too but the build is already too big according to my wife. 

1 hour ago, uwjedi said:

I've always wanted to do this one!  I love how you kept the original and just built it into you MOC.  Great work!

Thanks! Credit to Eurolock again for the inspiration! It’s been a few years since then and I’m hoping there will be more LOTR sets in the future (however faint the chances may be). I hope you find time to get started on one too. I had a blast the past few months.  

Very nicely done! I'm a big fan of taking the existing official sets and modifying/expanding them into something grander and I think you did an excellent job of doing exactly that!

4 hours ago, PxChris said:

Very nicely done! I'm a big fan of taking the existing official sets and modifying/expanding them into something grander and I think you did an excellent job of doing exactly that!

Thanks! I enjoyed doing it. It's not often I come across a set that makes me want to expand upon it. Helm's Deep was the perfect project for it.