Ilesole%20%28reflection%29.png

"Long ago, far to the southwest of all of Historica...

"There lay, and there lies still, a tall and lonely city, which is called, Ilesole."

P1034404%20the%20second%201.JPG

"Forgive me!  Please!"

"It is not for me to forgive..."

1%20problem%20%20%281%29.JPG

"But if the skies above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath... 

P1034404%20the%20second%203.jpg

"If the sea into which he was cast is washed away with time,

1%20problem%20%20%283%29.JPG

"If the sun dries up that sea so that the water no longer parts us, if he can walk from there to here!

1%20problem%20%20%284%29.JPG

"Oh, then will the child be forgiven; then will he also be pardoned…

1%20problem%20%20%285%29.JPG

"For what he hath done…"

1%20problem%20%20%286%29.JPG

“Water… is merciful…”

P1034404%20the%20second%208.JPG

“Not like fire.”

P1034404%20the%20second%209.JPG

My name is Ásgeir Di Cioto... I come from Ilesole.

Edited by W Navarre

few of these images are not showing up for me, but what is showing up is stunning work. 

2 minutes ago, Judge of the Wastelands said:

few of these images are not showing up for me, but what is showing up is stunning work. 

Thank you, and thanks for letting me know!  Fixed it, check out the new look :wink: ! 

Edited by W Navarre

Really mysterious opening build! Love the cinematic 100% LEGO shots, these are definitely in vogue currently.

Great characters as well, although I'm a little confused to all the names superimposed on the images. Who are all these people and how do they relate? I'm more confused than enlightened currently.

Also, it might be worth explicitly mentioning that this is your character introduction for Varlyrio as it doesn't say that anywhere in the text.

Other than that it's great to have such a talented builder as yourself in Varlyrio, and I wish you an enjoyable time of betrayal and backstabbing! :laugh:

Very great opening! I like it and I think the mysterious feeling is definitely on purpose? Looking forward to see how this unfolds :wink: Great work with the full moon behind the tree, I was just thinking of a similar solution with some LED lighting the other day, but your implementaton is definitely superior to what I thought of. I really like what I am seeing so far; I think what's especially great is that you give the impression of greater scale and content with just very limited fews and angles. I suspect that there are a number of solid builds already waiting to be shown entirely, as can be guessed because of image 4, 5 and 6, but so far, it looks like each of your shots could have been created with a relatively small number of bricks. As I have a limited library, I really like that approach; I love it when builds convey the sense of greater scale than is actually physically there, as it means getting the most out of a limited set of bricks.

Can't wait for more! Also, very inspirational all around. I cannot wait to get back into more cinematic building myself :classic:

Man, that was confusing but oh so good! Incredible scenes, I’m looking forward to seeing what these characters will be up to in the future.

Officially welcome to GoH then!

Nice builds and a great presentation. It is certainly very different from the usual full build photos.

Nice cinematic presentation, very mysterious.  I must say I can hear the dramatic music in the background.  Names are confusing me too though. :laugh:  Some of them seem to be movie style, actor names included, but others don't... for clarity, I would have stuck with one "real name" eg Timothy Miller and one Varlyrian name on each picture (and also I would have made them the person actually represented in the picture).

But now, as regards the MOCs... the water one is kind of plain, as you probably know.  It looks much better with the edit but have a problem with light edges around the minifigure and the horizon is kind of funny looking.  The hanging scene is fantastic, very dramatic.  Also nice way to get a climactic reveal by switching out the black and colored minifigure.  Your clay desert is pretty nice too (pieces look familiar :tongue: ) and a pretty neat minifigure although I don't entirely get the visor over the bars thing (it looks kinda cool but doesn't make much sense).  Very messed up floor on the next two, but I do like that couch and the next shot with Amalia looks really good for some reason, great focus and slight background blur.  The assassin scene is again dramatic, though if it were me so many swords would get in my way. :wink:  And last but not least... bold endeavor with the fiery sky background but... a little flat.  For one thing the wall is really short.  For another thing, if the sun were behind, the front of the houses would be in heavy shadow, and they wouldn't quite look bright pink.  The sides could look pink, but I don't think the camera-facing front would.  Lastly I'm not very convinced by that torso and pant combo, something funny about armor and a dress jacket!

Nicely done man, you finally got around to it! :laugh:  The tree (love that dark blue!), knight and landscape, and your build for Horus and Amelia are my favorites, and the rolling names are a very clever idea, though slightly confusing :grin:  That knight is probably my favorite fig here (Kai's right about the helmet, but it certainly looks sweet, hehe), and the story is intriguing.  Looking forward to more - keep it up! :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Really mysterious opening build! Love the cinematic 100% LEGO shots, these are definitely in vogue currently.

Great characters as well, although I'm a little confused to all the names superimposed on the images. Who are all these people and how do they relate? I'm more confused than enlightened currently.

Also, it might be worth explicitly mentioning that this is your character introduction for Varlyrio as it doesn't say that anywhere in the text.

Other than that it's great to have such a talented builder as yourself in Varlyrio, and I wish you an enjoyable time of betrayal and backstabbing! :laugh:

Thank you!  That's the cast, lol :laugh: . I have fixed it to enlighten you, so now you can tell who each person is (and who their actor is, haha).  Same to you :wink: !

8 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

Very great opening! I like it and I think the mysterious feeling is definitely on purpose? Looking forward to see how this unfolds :wink: Great work with the full moon behind the tree, I was just thinking of a similar solution with some LED lighting the other day, but your implementation is definitely superior to what I thought of. I really like what I am seeing so far; I think what's especially great is that you give the impression of greater scale and content with just very limited fews and angles. I suspect that there are a number of solid builds already waiting to be shown entirely, as can be guessed because of image 4, 5 and 6, but so far, it looks like each of your shots could have been created with a relatively small number of bricks. As I have a limited library, I really like that approach; I love it when builds convey the sense of greater scale than is actually physically there, as it means getting the most out of a limited set of bricks.

Can't wait for more! Also, very inspirational all around. I cannot wait to get back into more cinematic building myself :classic:

Definitely!  Glad it worked so well :classic: !   Yes, there are two or three more complete builds, which you will see again in future segments, but you are right on both counts, I didn't get anything very big done!  Yes!  So much yes, getting the viewer to imagine the rest, to feel like it's real, and to see past the picture you give them is what art is about many times!  It's what I wanted, thank you.  Hope you will do something after that sort indeed! 

7 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Man, that was confusing but oh so good! Incredible scenes, I’m looking forward to seeing what these characters will be up to in the future.

Officially welcome to GoH then!

At last!  Nice to be with you in Varlyrio, are you building something now?  And I hope it's not as confusing any more, if you scroll through again you'll see the names are more organised! 

5 hours ago, Bracari said:

Nice builds and a great presentation. It is certainly very different from the usual full build photos.

Thanks!  I wanted to go all out with this introduction to Varlyrio and take things a new direction! 

4 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Nice cinematic presentation, very mysterious.  I must say I can hear the dramatic music in the background.  Names are confusing me too though. :laugh:  Some of them seem to be movie style, actor names included, but others don't... for clarity, I would have stuck with one "real name" eg Timothy Miller and one Varlyrian name on each picture (and also I would have made them the person actually represented in the picture).

But now, as regards the MOCs... the water one is kind of plain, as you probably know.  It looks much better with the edit but have a problem with light edges around the minifigure and the horizon is kind of funny looking.  The hanging scene is fantastic, very dramatic.  Also nice way to get a climactic reveal by switching out the black and colored minifigure.  Your clay desert is pretty nice too (pieces look familiar :tongue: ) and a pretty neat minifigure although I don't entirely get the visor over the bars thing (it looks kinda cool but doesn't make much sense).  Very messed up floor on the next two, but I do like that couch and the next shot with Amalia looks really good for some reason, great focus and slight background blur.  The assassin scene is again dramatic, though if it were me so many swords would get in my way. :wink:  And last but not least... bold endeavor with the fiery sky background but... a little flat.  For one thing the wall is really short.  For another thing, if the sun were behind, the front of the houses would be in heavy shadow, and they wouldn't quite look bright pink.  The sides could look pink, but I don't think the camera-facing front would.  Lastly I'm not very convinced by that torso and pant combo, something funny about armor and a dress jacket!

I took your suggestions and the builds are fixed!  Thanks! Nice to have some heavy critique, I knew these builds failed a lot of them, and was hoping that having them all together would boost their overall impression, thanks for the hints and ideas! Are you kidding me? Messing up the floor was hard :sweet: . I don't know what to do though, a thicker wall, or different angles... certainly the building should have been brown and white ot something like that, but I wanted to experiment with an idea!  And thanks, the fig has other clothes too, you will see combos you might like better in the future! 

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Nicely done man, you finally got around to it! :laugh:  The tree (love that dark blue!), knight and landscape, and your build for Horus and Amelia are my favorites, and the rolling names are a very clever idea, though slightly confusing :grin:  That knight is probably my favorite fig here (Kai's right about the helmet, but it certainly looks sweet, hehe), and the story is intriguing.  Looking forward to more - keep it up! :thumbup:

Oh yes, and you are no longer safe up there on your pedestal, I warn you, :laugh: ! The knight was the first fig actually.  I started with him about 12 days ago, boy that was a lot of work for twelve days!  Thank you.

Very cool presentation. Don't think I've seen anything quite like it on GoH.

3 hours ago, W Navarre said:

I took your suggestions and the builds are fixed!

:thumbup:  A lot easier to follow now.  Looking forward to the de Cioto family's further adventures!

hahaha awesome stuff here, J.! I checked out the post when you still hadn't fixed the names - much better now :sweet: You've got quite the intro here! Nice cinematic effect, really intriguing, makes me wanna know what's going on right away. Nice set of vignettes and shots too - my fav must be the one you built for Amalia and Horus, the way you've made the floor is a mystery to me :oh: A couple of things I noticed at first sight are in the last pic: is that the wall doesn't look tall enough so I guess simply bigger would've been better, or maybe a more dramatic (and harder to realise) idea would've been to take the pic from lower and closer to the minifig, kind of aiming at it from underneath with the sky/wall/sun behind its head, if you see what I mean. I was also a bit unsure about those houses, because they're pink and because they seem to be too close to be out of focus like the rest of the background. Apart from this, I think I'll leave the critiques to Kai and the others. Most important thing for me though, is that I'm very glad to finally see you around here and with your own saga! I'm sure you'll show us some amazing builds! :excited:

On 1/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, mccoyed said:

Very cool presentation. Don't think I've seen anything quite like it on GoH.

Yes, that's what I wanted!  Thanks for that.  And I look forward to being with you in Varlyrio! 

On 1/11/2019 at 5:43 PM, Kai NRG said:

:thumbup:  A lot easier to follow now.  Looking forward to the de Cioto family's further adventures!

Great, thanks! 

On 1/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, en_zoo said:

hahaha awesome stuff here, J.! I checked out the post when you still hadn't fixed the names - much better now :sweet: You've got quite the intro here! Nice cinematic effect, really intriguing, makes me wanna know what's going on right away. Nice set of vignettes and shots too - my fav must be the one you built for Amalia and Horus, the way you've made the floor is a mystery to me :oh: A couple of things I noticed at first sight are in the last pic: is that the wall doesn't look tall enough so I guess simply bigger would've been better, or maybe a more dramatic (and harder to realise) idea would've been to take the pic from lower and closer to the minifig, kind of aiming at it from underneath with the sky/wall/sun behind its head, if you see what I mean. I was also a bit unsure about those houses, because they're pink and because they seem to be too close to be out of focus like the rest of the background. Apart from this, I think I'll leave the critiques to Kai and the others. Most important thing for me though, is that I'm very glad to finally see you around here and with your own saga! I'm sure you'll show us some amazing builds! :excited:

You are too kind, mate! The floor, haha!  Some people though I over did it :P . It's a lot of different stuff, but mostly snoted headlight bricks with tiles on top!  Oh, you are definitely right, those are good ideas.. but that MOC was one I knew I had to finish to get myself into the game, and I wasn't so inspired and pressed by time too, so it was rushed and small, and that doesn't mean it can't be good, but in this case it did turn out too flat and unengaging... also it was a color experiment that kind of failed :laugh: . But I was happy that at least I got the nice cinematic light behind it!  That's a flashlight shining through transparent orange bricks, btw. 

I hope so, glad to know you have faith!  Great to join ya'll at last :classic: . 

This looks really cool, especially with the opening-credits vibe you have given to the builds. I like the different characters, and I am super glad that you made the names on each picture correspond with the person depicted, since at first I thought that it was the same person several times at different ages, since there is a lot of blond hair. 

Nicely done, and it has been nice to see several of the pictures bigger and in their own posts. I look forward to seeing the full story someday!

On 2/4/2019 at 5:45 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This looks really cool, especially with the opening-credits vibe you have given to the builds. I like the different characters, and I am super glad that you made the names on each picture correspond with the person depicted, since at first I thought that it was the same person several times at different ages, since there is a lot of blond hair. 

Nicely done, and it has been nice to see several of the pictures bigger and in their own posts. I look forward to seeing the full story someday!

Thank you!  I hope it won't take too long!  But life makes the writing and building go slower than we wish, I keep trying though.

Glad that this thread surfaced again! Totally missed this before. I agree with others that those cinematic shots with only lego is so great!! 

The helmet idea is perfect! Have to use that as well!

Very dramatic introduction for your character! Excellent use of the new medium height legs on the last minifigure :thumbup:
And I'm definitely anticipating great things from your story-line :classic:

All the tight shots are great!  I love the mini posing, and the all-lego pics are well done--not just a small build either, but it's obvious by the depth of the background it's a part of a larger build.  The waves on the ocean are great, too.  The only thing I'm not entirely convinced of is the rain, but that's a difficult thing to convey with Lego.  Great work!

On 2/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, de Gothia said:

Glad that this thread surfaced again! Totally missed this before. I agree with others that those cinematic shots with only lego is so great!! 

The helmet idea is perfect! Have to use that as well!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Very dramatic introduction for your character! Excellent use of the new medium height legs on the last minifigure :thumbup:
And I'm definitely anticipating great things from your story-line :classic:

I was wanting something more dramatic than the average one, so big thanks! I do hope the story won't disappoint! 

On 2/16/2019 at 11:49 PM, Grover said:

All the tight shots are great!  I love the mini posing, and the all-lego pics are well done--not just a small build either, but it's obvious by the depth of the background it's a part of a larger build.  The waves on the ocean are great, too.  The only thing I'm not entirely convinced of is the rain, but that's a difficult thing to convey with Lego.  Great work!

Depth of background can be so cool, and minifigs are also enjoyable!  You are 100% correct, that rain is lame, but I wanted rain and that was my best shot :wink: . But I hope to keep the quality level ever getting higher in this saga!