CorvusA

LDD 4.3.12 update could be possible??

If the need for updates is keeping you from being able to use it, you can find alternative programs created in this link. These pieces of software aren't run by us, so for any technical issue you would need to contact the manufacturer of the program.

If only this given link was not a big pile of crap... SR3D builder, given as the top choice, has not been updated since 2014 and will not be in the future since is author passed away, BlockCad has not been updated either for 10 years. MLCad is not much better in that regard, LDraw is not a model building program but a library of parts, Brickutils or LEGO EV3 software have nothing to do with virtual model creation. And two of the most meaningful alternative programs (LDCad and Studio) are missing from the list. Fortunately, Mecabricks and LeoCAD are part of it!

:wall::damn::cry3:

29 minutes ago, NathanR said:

I wonder if this can also be interpreted as meaning that there will be not further brick updates

Well, considering the last one was 1 year and 9 months ago, that’s almost certain :hmpf_bad:

given that the link doesn’t provide too many useful alternatives (SR3D from 2014 will most certainly also not run on Catalina) I hope it was just an uninformed ‘support drone’ to answer. 

I wish they'd passed the rights or ownership of LDD to an entity that would continually maintain it, as I've been using it for years, and while it has its quirks, it's very user friendly, esp for a non-CAD familiar sort such as myself. While I still use it to flush out ideas, the lack of an updated palette is frustrating, forcing me to give Studio a try. Apples and oranges- steep learning curve, and not user friendly at all. I build mecha, with lots of moving parts, and after expending an hour or so trying to figure out how to get a small group of parts to move 90 degrees on an old venerable hinge (3937), and failing to get it to rotate back (I just went to edit and undid everything b/c I couldn't get it to hinge back. The hinge rotated beyond its physical limits, disconnected from the main model- it was an experience mired in frustration, which completely eroded the joy out of using it. Why didn't they copy the basic interface from LDD? At least you could make some progress within 10 minutes or so. I've definitely been spoiled by LDD's ease of use.

@M'Kyuun I must confess I have been put off most CAD editors due to the lack of part snapping, automatic rotation of groups of bricks, or doing anything with 3D rotation (it's always a nightmare once bricks go "off-grid").  I've had loads of ideas for building my own editor, but I keep getting put off by the complexity and low-level manipulation required for loading bricks from the LDraw library.    Might I suggest you give the Mecabricks website a try? It's got the best and most user-friendly interface I've come across.

11 minutes ago, NathanR said:

I must confess I have been put off most CAD editors due to the lack of part snapping, automatic rotation of groups of bricks, or doing anything with 3D rotation (it's always a nightmare once bricks go "off-grid")

Have you tried LDCad?

52 minutes ago, Philo said:

Have you tried LDCad?

It does look and sound like it would be stunning.  Unfortunately, there's no MacOS version available so I can't use it.

I find it really weird that Lego haven't updated or continued support for LDD. Especially as I've heard that Lego still use an in-house version of the software with updated features and consistently updated parts list for their designing. I really hope that it doesn't get left in the dust as it's probably my most useful tool when designing stuff. Have there been any fan-made patches for LDD? It crossed my mind earlier and I wondered if someone did it.

29 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I really hope that it doesn't get left in the dust

Honestly? I believe it remains in the dust for many years. And when your reference for the TLG in-house usage is solid - then I honestly think, this is the worst kind of behavior. I sure hope it is not like that.

And if not - then it is just as it is with many software products: Folks use it until - it dies. As in: It does not make any sense anymore to use it. So many software products have come and gone - in the public domain, as well as in the money making market. The latter maybe more susceptible to ... making money.

There is nothing better than an actively striving open source community. LDraw is such a community. Studio or not - I use MLCad. It works. As long as Michael is willing to tweak it for new things to come up. Plus there are a number of other publicly available, powerful programs as well. The core thing is LDraw though. They can do, endorse, support, decline, whatever - do what they want over at TLG: There will be alternatives to their very own product. It always works like that. In the past, today, tomorrow, in fiction: The public domain makes the difference.

LDD is a very shiny example: Another one bites the dust.

All the best,
Thorsten 

2020 and still no news from TLG about LDD, thanks LEGO for you rsupport of the community xD. Now I spend the double of time using Stud.io to make the same design (a lot of useful tools and professional, but horrible mechanics and "gameplay")

56 minutes ago, CorvusA said:

2020 and still no news from TLG about LDD, thanks LEGO for you rsupport of the community xD. Now I spend the double of time using Stud.io to make the same design (a lot of useful tools and professional, but horrible mechanics and "gameplay")

It'll take a while getting used to.

With the recent acquisition of Bricklink by TLG and a combined project already using AFOL designs on Stud.io and produced by TLG, I think it is clear that TLG are endorsing Stud.io as the way forward.

I find it interesting that so many people still cling to LDD with the hope that it will be resurrected, when IMO this will never happen.   BL has done a major part of the development for TLG and a lot of people I have talked to who were once LDD users are now all moved across to Stud.io.  Is it perfect ? Hell No!  Is it an improvement ? IMO most definately !  Is it being updated? Constantly!  I can also do all my renders and instructions in one place.

Agree wholeheartedly @MatthewRC that the mechanics can be quite frustrating at times but you slowly get used to it!

I salute those of you who have your convictions for LDD but hoping that it will be restored to a market leader I think is a total dream (Unless TLD blend the best features of both in the near future!)

43 minutes ago, BennyT19 said:

With the recent acquisition of Bricklink by TLG and a combined project already using AFOL designs on Stud.io and produced by TLG, I think it is clear that TLG are endorsing Stud.io as the way forward.

I find it interesting that so many people still cling to LDD with the hope that it will be resurrected, when IMO this will never happen.   BL has done a major part of the development for TLG and a lot of people I have talked to who were once LDD users are now all moved across to Stud.io.  Is it perfect ? Hell No!  Is it an improvement ? IMO most definately !  Is it being updated? Constantly!  I can also do all my renders and instructions in one place.

Agree wholeheartedly @MatthewRC that the mechanics can be quite frustrating at times but you slowly get used to it!

I salute those of you who have your convictions for LDD but hoping that it will be restored to a market leader I think is a total dream (Unless TLD blend the best features of both in the near future!)

Don’t forget applying custom printed decals to LEGO parts on Part Designer, too!

On 1/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, BennyT19 said:

Unless TLD blend the best features of both in the near future!

Features of Stud.io with the mechanics and gameplay of LDD. That would be the perfect software. Its funny because Stud.io fails in the most important point, just building with bricks as the basic concept.

Edited by CorvusA

Ran across this in the TLG/BL acquisition faq on BrickLink.

How will Studio continue under the LEGO Group? And what are the plans for Studio vs. LDD going forward?

The future looks great for digital building and we want to do more! Our vision is to make Studio the ultimate building tool for both professional designers and all entry-level builders. We are planning new features and upgrades to the Studio Desktop App to bring in an influx of new or existing MOCs that can be more easily fulfilled by BrickLink market. In this regard, The LEGO Group is planning to support and evolve Studio and will review opportunities for both services (Stud.io and LDD) as part of developing the business plan. Please stay tuned in the months to come!

What I take from this is TLG is officially supporting Studio going forward, and no more updates to LDD unless there is a marketable opportunity for it.

@CorvusA THANK YOU! FINALLY someone has admitted the Studio SUCKS because its near impossible just to build anything. Its great thats its got all these new parts and prints (although it doesnt have the ones from LDD which is just dumb youd think they would start from that) but its impossible to use. Studio reminds me of Trump, impossible to work with but seemingly worshipped by everyone. :(

Now, I have a question for everyone sorry if this has been answered before. I am using LDD 4.3.11? (maybe its 10) but whatever the latest one was. I have got a new computer as the one with LDD on it is getting old. When I downloaded LDD from both the offical Lego link it said LDD 4.3 (although I believe mine does that sometimes too but its fine).

First it wouldnt connect to the internet, I have used offline mode before and had no problems but this time when I opened a file I had on USB from the other computer, the parts section (sorry I dont know the proper name for the column on the side with all the squares you click on to get Bricks, Plates, Minifig accessories etc.) was much smaller, about three 'squares' had question marks on them and many parts were missing as well as all the parts were just ordered weird with some minifig accessories for example included as minfig body parts, the 'misc' tab (it normally has a picture of one of those old Fabuland round signs) was just messed up and instead of all those great minfig prints there was like 20, all really old crappy ones too.

I uninstalled that and tried a link from a third party website, same issues. Where can I find LDD 4.3.11 or 12 or whatever the latest version is and successfully download it?

Some of the latest parts I can recall are

Tile 2x3 flat tile,

2x3 with angle,

1x1 tiles 1/2 circle and 1/4 circle 

plate 2x2 27 degrees (left and right)

plate 2x2 45 degrees

I believe the latest CMF prints are the CMF series which had the paleontologist, Egyptian warrior, alien trooper, classic king, but was the Queen after classic king? If so then it also has the Queen and associated parts, Jewel thief and the rest of whichever series that was.

I only just discovered 4.3.12 the other day...

Does 4.3.12 have any new pieces? I noticed the categorisation of pieces is all mixed up in 4.3.12.

9 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I only just discovered 4.3.12 the other day...

Does 4.3.12 have any new pieces? I noticed the categorisation of pieces is all mixed up in 4.3.12.

LDD 4.3.12 has many bugs and missing pieces. 

Get 4.3.11 and follow the steps here:

1. Uninstall Lego Digital Designer

2. Delete this folder also (otherwise a reinstall will not work):
    C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer

3. Get LDD 4.3.11 from here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190622153357/https://lc-www-live-s.legocdn.com/downloads/ldd2.0/installer/setupLDD-PC-4_3_11.exe

Edited by M2m

56 minutes ago, M2m said:

LDD 4.3.12 has many bugs and missing pieces. 

Get 4.3.11 and follow the steps here:

1. Uninstall Lego Digital Designer

2. Delete this folder also (otherwise a reinstall will not work):
    C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer

3. Get LDD 4.3.11 from here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190622153357/https://lc-www-live-s.legocdn.com/downloads/ldd2.0/installer/setupLDD-PC-4_3_11.exe

Thank you so much!

There is actually another thread here at Eurobricks in which users are coming up with new parts for LDD for a while now. I think it is worth checking:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/177795-key-topic-ldd-new-parts/