CorvusA

LDD 4.3.12 update could be possible??

58 minutes ago, Rustinidiel said:

wait... all the 4.3.12 problems are only for the MAC version? the PC version works and got all the eventually new parts?

No, I was referring to the fact that the version 4.3.12 is only showing up for the PC side on the LDD download page. Meanwhile, the Mac side still has its version 4.3.11 up.

Edited by Jason C. Hand

On 9/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, CorvusA said:

I have to mention something that maybe some of you have missed. In the activities of LEGO Ideas or the contest, in the info appears LDD as a tool to make "legit designs".

I think the Lego Ideas contests keep referring to LDD as a suitable program because it is well known, a lot of fans like to build digitally, and it means Lego doesn't have to explicitly recommend or endorse a third-party tool like Stud.io or Mecabricks.

14 hours ago, Rustinidiel said:

wait... all the 4.3.12 problems are only for the MAC version? the PC version works and got all the eventually new parts?

The 4.3.12 update is Windows-only, Mac only has 4.3.11.  Since it is not necessarily a trivial task to upgrade a program from 32 bit to 64 bit, Lego don't seem to care about LDD anymore (for years, the official position has been that it is not under any development, the updates we have had have simply been a courtesy to the fans), and Lego seem to have a newer internal 3D design software these days, I am frankly not expecting any further updates for the Mac :cry2:

19 minutes ago, NathanR said:

Lego doesn't have to explicitly recommend or endorse a third-party tool like Stud.io or Mecabricks

No, they actually do. They name these software on the contest page rules of the official ideas website.

Just found this on the jurassic park contest page

You may also create digital entries using third-party LEGO CAD software such as Studio or Mecabricks. 

Edited by Scrubs

56 minutes ago, NathanR said:

The 4.3.12 update is Windows-only, Mac only has 4.3.11.  Since it is not necessarily a trivial task to upgrade a program from 32 bit to 64 bit, Lego don't seem to care about LDD anymore (for years, the official position has been that it is not under any development, the updates we have had have simply been a courtesy to the fans), and Lego seem to have a newer internal 3D design software these days, I am frankly not expecting any further updates for the Mac :cry2:

if this new software will replace LDD... for me is ok... just letting us to import the lxf made with LDD...

this new softare has a name?

21 minutes ago, Rustinidiel said:

this new softare has a name?

Don't know, it's just something I've heard vague rumours of. It's basically an internal tool used exclusively by Lego's designers.

Edited by NathanR

12 hours ago, NathanR said:

Don't know, it's just something I've heard vague rumours of. It's basically an internal tool used exclusively by Lego's designers.

LEGO should release a comercial version of that software, I would pay even 50€ for it, even more. I want a modern LDD with all the pieces, just that. Same simplicity, similar interface and "gameplay". 
The rest of the programs are very nice (I use them for the renders) but I would have to spend the double of time to design something with them. Thery are more complex and slow.

5 hours ago, Skyfoogle said:

I'd honestly just suggest moving on to Stud.io. It's constantly updated with new parts and prints. I'd also suggest Mecabricks but it's not as simple to use as Stud.io.

Yeah but as I said, LDD, its much more dinamic and fast. In my case for exmaple I have not 1 week to make a small MOC. And Stud.io/Mecabricks are slow because are more complex editors.

The controls of LDD are more friendly, like a videogame, so everything in the building go like a thunder.

Stud.io and Mecabricks are ideal for illegal techniques and render, but that is the 5% of my total work

Edited by CorvusA

On 9/7/2019 at 12:46 AM, Skyfoogle said:

I'd honestly just suggest moving on to Stud.io. It's constantly updated with new parts and prints. I'd also suggest Mecabricks but it's not as simple to use as Stud.io.

A quick example to illustrate @CorvusA‘s point:

Delete is a locked shortcut. This means that you can’t remap it to “D” as in LDD, so you need to reach across the keyboard to the Delete key to remove bricks or to force-quit Studio from copying bricks if you’re using the copy tool.

Second, you should be able to map right-click to be Set As Origin without bringing up a menu.

Third, the ribbon should be centered over the viewport window with the Select pulldown mappable as separate buttons in the ribbon.

I use LDD with one hand, my left hand hovering over V, D, C, and command-Z or shift-command-Z. You simply cannot use Studio this way because they’ve locked out the key controls and don’t offer ribbon customization.

In short, Bricklink needs to spend a few updates improving the ergonomics of their software.

7 hours ago, RoxYourBlox said:

Delete is a locked shortcut. This means that you can’t remap it to “D” as in LDD, so you need to reach across the keyboard to the Delete key to remove bricks or to force-quit Studio from copying bricks if you’re using the copy tool.

Second, you should be able to map right-click to be Set As Origin without bringing up a menu.

Third, the ribbon should be centered over the viewport window with the Select pulldown mappable as separate buttons in the ribbon.

I use LDD with one hand, my left hand hovering over V, D, C, and command-Z or shift-command-Z. You simply cannot use Studio this way because they’ve locked out the key controls and don’t offer ribbon customization.

In short, Bricklink needs to spend a few updates improving the ergonomics of their software.

i totally agree! Stud.io is a good sowtfare, but too complicated to be enjoyable like LDD... designing with LDD is a super easy thing like in real life

17 hours ago, RoxYourBlox said:

100% Agree, for those reasons I would buy a licensed version

I occasionally use LDD on my laptop and don't have a mouse and have to use my trackpad. That's a pain. I tried downloading Stud.io the other day to see what part list they had and experiment. That was impossible to use. I might just use LDD for all my building and then export that to Stud.io and render from there if possible.

Considering this is starting to become a big discussion point, I figure I should pop in...
I've noted that 4.3.12 for Windows is just 4.3.11, as it states in the "About" section of the application itself and looking in the application's properties. So right now, I'm rather disappointed and am considering making the move to Stud.io as that seems to be the better option for digital building at this stage.
I did end up getting a response which effectively said to allow LDD through the firewall, though that did absolutely nothing to solve the issue of connecting to the internet.

Edited by TheGarageBoy

4 hours ago, TheGarageBoy said:

Considering this is starting to become a big discussion point, I figure I should pop in...
I've noted that 4.3.12 for Windows is just 4.3.11, as it states in the "About" section of the application itself and looking in the application's properties. So right now, I'm rather disappointed and am considering making the move to Stud.io as that seems to be the better option for digital building at this stage.
I did end up getting a response which effectively said to allow LDD through the firewall, though that did absolutely nothing to solve the issue of connecting to the internet.

Also, Stud.io has an additional program for creating decorated parts! It’s called Part Designer.

11 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Woud you look at that:

Nice! I remember the designer of the 75060 UCS Slave 1 set saying that he sketched out the model in LDD before switching to physical bricks for the final testing. Good to see LDD is still a popular program with Lego's own designers!

3 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Also, Stud.io has an additional program for creating decorated parts! It’s called Part Designer.

I'm not so sure I like Part Designer being a widely accessible tool.  It's great to be able to create custom decorations, though it would be better if LDraw bricks simply used UV maps and image files, rather than having the image converted into a mesh of triangles and quads. However, Part Designer also allows users to create custom parts, so I fear we will start seeing digital MOCs with brick shapes that Lego have never produced. Digital MOCs always seem to take a backseat to physical MOCs, due to the perception that digital building is "cheating" or "easy" (you are free of constraints of gravity, you don't have to make sure parts interlock securely, you don't need to worry about whether a brick was ever made in that colour, etc.). If digital builders are now free of the constraint of whether a brick even exists, then I fear digital MOCs will lose all credibility as a means of playing with Lego bricks.

9 hours ago, NathanR said:

though it would be better if LDraw bricks simply used UV maps and image files, rather than having the image converted into a mesh of triangles and quads.

Texture mapping is supported by all modern LDraw tools (granted, "only" planar/cylindrical/spherical projection), see https://www.ldraw.org/documentation/ldraw-org-file-format-standards/language-extension-for-texture-mapping.html

@Philo Fascinating, I hadn't come across this in LDraw before! Off topic, do you think there will ever be a time when LDraw morphs into a form where the bricks are stored as 3d object files (e.g .obj, dae) with saved/precomputed normal data and uv texture coordinates?

17 hours ago, NathanR said:

I'm not so sure I like Part Designer being a widely accessible tool.  It's great to be able to create custom decorations, though it would be better if LDraw bricks simply used UV maps and image files, rather than having the image converted into a mesh of triangles and quads. However, Part Designer also allows users to create custom parts, so I fear we will start seeing digital MOCs with brick shapes that Lego have never produced. Digital MOCs always seem to take a backseat to physical MOCs, due to the perception that digital building is "cheating" or "easy" (you are free of constraints of gravity, you don't have to make sure parts interlock securely, you don't need to worry about whether a brick was ever made in that colour, etc.). If digital builders are now free of the constraint of whether a brick even exists, then I fear digital MOCs will lose all credibility as a means of playing with Lego bricks.

Don’t worry, I never use Part Designer to create new-mold LEGO parts. I just use it to make existing LEGO parts with custom printing patterns.

Hi, I had installed LDD 4.3.12 on a new computer with Windows 10, it has a lot of less parts than the 4.3.11 version that I was in Windows 7, and I have switch sime files to the new computer and its missing parts because they not exist in the new version, can I fix this somehow?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, BrunoSilva13 said:

Hi, I had installed LDD 4.3.12 on a new computer with Windows 10, it has a lot of less parts than the 4.3.11 version that I was in Windows 7, and I have switch sime files to the new computer and its missing parts because they not exist in the new version, can I fix this somehow?

Yes, remove 4.3.12 and install 4.3.11.

Read this thread if you have problems (there also is a link to a 4.3.11 installer if you need one): 

With MacOS Catalina now available, and support for 32 bit apps removed, I asked Lego if LDD would get updated to a 64-bit app so it could keep running on the Mac.  Now, I asked this question at the start of the year, when I was just getting occasional warnings that LDD would not run on later versions of MacOS, and got the standard answer about just updating my graphics card drivers to fix any issues.  This time, however, the response was rather different so I thought I'd share:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having problems with our program LEGO® Digital Designer.

Unfortunately, the program is not going to be updated, since it was discontinued in 2012. It will, however, be maintained so that our fans can keep designing their own sets.

If the need for updates is keeping you from being able to use it, you can find alternative programs created in this link. These pieces of software aren't run by us, so for any technical issue you would need to contact the manufacturer of the program.

I hope you have fun using these programs! Please let us know if you need anything else.

Have a lovely day!

So Lego are now pushing the use of third-party alternatives, and LDD is dead on the Mac :sad:  I wonder if this can also be interpreted as meaning that there will be not further brick updates even for the Windows version, and that LDD will only be provided by Lego until there are no computers left that are capable of running it?