CorvusA

LDD 4.3.12 update could be possible??

It is un known for sure. LEGO stated that LDD was no longer in development about 2 years ago. They have since dropped 2 updates so who actually knows. 

If you havent seen it, you should definitely check out BrickLink's Studio software. it is a much better program and you can check the existence of parts right in the program. 

I use Stud.io and Mecabricks as well, but LDD is much faster and efficient in some things. I dont know why LEGO has abandoned LDD, it brings more money to the company... Kinda absurd, no??

20 minutes ago, CorvusA said:

it brings more money to the company... Kinda absurd, no??

How do you know it doesn’t cost more than it brigs in?

Well, the interface of the software is from 2000's, have not render neither other functions. Its simply for building. Think in all the people doing models with it and ordering the pieces..... $$$$$$$$$$ Do you really think that this program is not profitable???...

For example I do a lot of commissions, my customers buy around 5k pieces per design ( 600-700€ ), apart I dont buy official sets, only pieces for my own creations. And that thanks to LDD, so the company should be intelligent and improve its software, even I would pay 30-40€ for a polished version!!

Edited by CorvusA

41 minutes ago, CorvusA said:

Think in all the people doing models with it and ordering the pieces..... $$$$$$$$$$ 

Yes, think about them.  How many are they?  Actually very few, especially if you compare with how much TLG makes with regular sets and what they could make with LDD.

And do you have an idea how much it costs to actually maintain LDD (not just throwing a few new parts once a year)?  All the people you need to write, test, code, maintain, support (in multiple languages) the program?

You also seem blinded by your own experience as a professional.  How many people do you know who are like you?  What percentage of the people you know does that make?  Or even what percentage of the people you know and who buy LEGO does that make?

LDD for professionals is a very little niche, even for AFOLs it’s a little niche.  And it’s now in competition with other, free, programs, like Studio which is directly linked to the biggest parts marketplace.

Clearly, if LDD were a golden goose, TLG wouldn’t have abandoned it.

All the people you need to write, test, code, maintain, support (in multiple languages) the program?

I understand what you say but Lego just could design a new interface and keep it simple with all the pieces like until now plus extra functions available to purchasing them. 

The problem is that the rest of programs are slower in the construction, much slower and less friendly, and many times the progress turns frustrating.  But well...is just my opinion....

Edited by CorvusA

Have you worked with Stud.io?

Yeah, I always import the LDD files in Stud.io to taking the wanted list and adding some new parts to the design. But is reeeaaaaaaly slow to work in Stud.io, looks like a digital art program, or 3D editor

Same here, while Studio is second best, it still doesn't have the speed of the LDD. Simply because the commands that you do the most (by far, like moving around your model & quickly tweaking parts) aren't as fast. Until then, it's still best to do the most in the LDD & then import in Studio.

Well, I believe The LEGO Group only supports the current version of LDD, and their Tech Team could release a new update for the program whenever they can.

If LDD 4.3.12 happens, LEGO would have to abandon support for 4.3.11 and move onto the next LDD Version.

(by far, like moving around your model & quickly tweaking parts) aren't as fast

Exactly...the camera and controls are maddening. The technology is really nice but the "gameplay"...uffff needs much work.

If LDD 4.3.12 happens, LEGO would have to abandon support for 4.3.11 and move onto the next LDD Version.

I wish happen that, dude... I wish
we do not need support for previous versions, only the new pieces

Edited by CorvusA

Stud.io is the first drawing program I really used - just fooled around with others.

I share some of the frustrations of you with Stud.io. But as I progress with my first large documentation effort (model is already built) I find it easier and easier. Configuring some hot keys for menu selections really helps. I found out it enforces some good building practices which I had not been following.

I'd suggest anybody starting out use Stud.io rather than combining tools and having to learn two. Lack of complete manual hurts them. Starting with instruction maker was confusing, but not bad when you figure out the interactions and relationship to build drawings.

50 minutes ago, Jason C. Hand said:

Hi all. Hope everyone has been doing well on here. So...I saw the below earlier today:

48457278707_660deb9aab.jpg

What to make of it???

Followed the link, downloaded it, and installed.  Unfortunately it seems at least that specific file only changed the preferences.ini file, so no new parts or any reaul update.

Weird non-update:

1. no automatic update,
  2. it can’t connect to the internet once installed (so I rolled back to 4.3.11 for now),
  3. seems to be a regression, I looked into the .lif files (but I didn’t have time to check if these changes impacted the live program):
  • in db.lif, the brick version is “777” instead of 4.3.11’s “2670”,
  • there are references to the button to upload a model (I didn’t see it in the UI but I didn’t look long either),
  • there are tiny insignificant modifications to some parts (lines reordered, last digit different for some coordinates),
  • some changes that could be (relatively) significant on categories or part names,
  • some files for parts that weren’t there or had been removed (e.g. 23065 which had disapeared in 4.3.10): 23065, 30321, 46103, 59489, 71956, 73914, 94148, 95109, 95232.

These changes are what I found in the files, they don’t seem to be reflected on the user’s side when 4.3.12 is launched (user’s files weren’t changed).

Curious.

36 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Weird non-update:

1. no automatic update,
  2. it can’t connect to the internet once installed (so I rolled back to 4.3.11 for now),
  3. seems to be a regression, I looked into the .lif files (but I didn’t have time to check if these changes impacted the live program):
  • in db.lif, the brick version is “777” instead of 4.3.11’s “2670”,
  • there are references to the button to upload a model (I didn’t see it in the UI but I didn’t look long either),
  • there are tiny insignificant modifications to some parts (lines reordered, last digit different for some coordinates),
  • some changes that could be (relatively) significant on categories or part names,
  • some files for parts that weren’t there or had been removed (e.g. 23065 which had disapeared in 4.3.10): 23065, 30321, 46103, 59489, 71956, 73914, 94148, 95109, 95232.

These changes are what I found in the files, they don’t seem to be reflected on the user’s side when 4.3.12 is launched (user’s files weren’t changed).

Curious.

Wow, I’d better wait until they released an improved update.

Oh, I just noticed: no more install_flash_player_active_x.exe in the installer, so 4.3.12 undoubtedly is just an attempt to make LDD installable on Windows 10.

22 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Oh, I just noticed: no more install_flash_player_active_x.exe in the installer, so 4.3.12 undoubtedly is just an attempt to make LDD installable on Windows 10.

I already use Windows 10, and LDD 4.3.11 worked just fine on my computer.

5 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

I already use Windows 10, and LDD 4.3.11 worked just fine on my computer.

Some people have had problems with Flash and some version of Windows 10.

For instance:

4 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Some people have had problems with Flash and some version of Windows 10.

For instance:

Do you think I should uninstall LDD and reinstall it?

11 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Do you think I should uninstall LDD and reinstall it?

No.  If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

I'm curious, is there any way to tell if the Windows 4.3.12 exe is now 64 bit, or is it still a 32 bit application?

(If it has become 64 bit, then I can hop onto some hope for a new MacOs version)