KotZ

24: Mafia - Hour 2: 11am to 12pm

Previously on 24 Mafia...

10am.png

Officer Skinner was having a nice cup o'joe around 10:30am when she was confronted...

10am1.png

"Well that's a nice hammer you have there. I can barely see you against these walls. We really should repaint," she said.

"Oh be quiet. You're in my way," the figure said before bashing Skinner's head in.

10am2.png

Jack heard the noise and rushed upstairs to the scene.

11am.png

By 11am, they had found that Skinner was loyal CTU.

"Chloe, did we get that on the security cam?" Jack shouted.

"The moles have taken down all cameras. We can't see anything." There was a pause. "You know you can just come down here and talk since we're in the same building, no need for an earpiece?"

"Sunnovabich," he muttered. Jack then went and addressed the group. "So as you know, Skinner was one of us. We need to find out who the moles are. WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME! I don't care how it's interpreted from the outside. I just gave you an order and I'd like you to follow it."

NPCs
jackbauer.pngJack Bauer, Head of CTU

chloeobrien.png Chloe O'Brian, Senior Analyst

Players

agentmoore.pngAgent Moore, Secret Service (Kwatchi)

alfreddrew.pngAlfred Drew, Analyst (Zepher)

bandropov.pngBarry Andropov, Analyst (Kristel)

benson.pngBenson, Go-Team (Legomonorailfan)

bob.pngBob, Janitor (Bob)

dianegreene.pngDiane Greene, Senator Greene's wife (fhomess)

drjames.pngDr. James, Nurse (Tariq J)

jasonwhite.pngJason White, Go-Team (Kintobor)

kaster.pngKaster, Inmate (Lady K)

ofclewis.pngOfficer Lewis, Security Guard (jamesn)

rileymarshall.pngRiley Marshall, Analyst (jluck)

senlarrygreene.pngSenator Larry Greene (Khscarymovie4)

wilsongoddard.pngWilson Goddard, Go-Team (Asphalt)

zip.pngZip, Go-Team (mostlytechnic)

Deceased

skinner.pngOfficer Skinner, Head of CTU Security (mediumsnowman), killed Night 1. Alignment: CTU (Town)

The Rules

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the CTU (Town) or the Moles (Scum). To win the game, the Town must kill off all the Scum, while the Scum needs to outnumber the Town. Third-party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.

2. Each day you will be able to vote to lynch a player.  Voting is mandatory. Voting should be done in the following format; Vote: Character (Player). Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; Unvote: Character (Player).  No other format will be accepted. A majority vote is required to lynch a player. Failure to vote will incur a 2-vote penalty the following game day.

3. A game "Hour"/day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. The day will end when a majority vote has been reached after 72 hours. After the "Hour"/day has been concluded, an "Off-hour"/night stage will commence, which will last 48 hours. "Off-hour"/night actions must be sent to the host in the first 20 hours of the "Off-hour"/night stage.

3.5. Players may not target the same player two nights in a row, and may not target themselves.

4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the "Off-hour"/night, will be revealed at the beginning of the next "Hour"/day.

5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to or from you in PM with the game host, or in PM with any other players. This includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage.

6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread or via PM with other players. Private discussion is done at your own risk and should be treated as part of the game.

7. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on.

8. You may not edit your posts.

9. You must post in every day thread. 

10. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM.

11. Violation of any of the above rules will result in a 5 vote penalty for the first offence, and death on your second offence.

12. There are no hints or clues in the day/night images.

13. The Town automatically loses if they have not lynched all Scum/Evil players by the end of the "Day" (essentially 12 game days and 12 game nights).

Scum probably viewed mediumsnowman as a potential PR based on activity. He voted for Khscarymovie4, but the only person he found suspicious behavior from was Bob.

1 minute ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Scum probably viewed mediumsnowman as a potential PR based on activity. He voted for Khscarymovie4, but the only person he found suspicious behavior from was Bob.

This seems like you want someone to come out and say "nope, no power roles got killed last night", getting them to trip themselves up and reveal their own PR to you. Sounds an awful lot like "Did we kill any PRs last night? Asking for a friend."

As it is, I was convinced Officer Skinner was scum so I guess I'm sorry for being brash in PM.

What a shame to see such an up and comerr go. You shall be avanged. 

5 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I mean it's possible that they took him out for that reason but I would not put too much weight on it. Most the time night 1 kills are random experienced players. 

In my personal opinion yesterday was pretty slowish. Lots of people were not active, which I can understand a bit. I just hope we have more participation today. 

On 1/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, fhomess said:

I would encourage you and anyone else who are the sole voter for your candidate to vote for one of the multiple vote getters.  If you don't want a lynch, that's fine as we're still pretty far from lynching anyone, but we've got votes on 10 different people right now and we can learn more about how people feel by narrowing the scope a bit.

Honey I love you, but I don't see any good reason for this. I feel you learn more from people if they actually vote for who they want to and are not pressured into joining a camp. This also leads to people easily joinh bandwagons with no thought, or people never being called out and hiding a lot of the time facing no real danger. 

3 minutes ago, jamesn said:

This seems like you want someone to come out and say "nope, no power roles got killed last night", getting them to trip themselves up and reveal their own PR to you. Sounds an awful lot like "Did we kill any PRs last night? Asking for a friend."

As it is, I was convinced Officer Skinner was scum so I guess I'm sorry for being brash in PM.

You were convinced someone was scum in only 1 hour? I mean I have some suspicions about people  but I would never say I am convinced their scum. Also if that's the case why did you not vote for them? 

6 minutes ago, jamesn said:

I go under the assumption that scum might pick a night one kill based on activity. "Who's semi active but trying not to stick out? Potential PR?"

BTW, Don't scum usually use guns and third party use melee? 

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I go under the assumption that scum might pick a night one kill based on activity. "Who's semi active but trying not to stick out? Potential PR?"

BTW, Don't scum usually use guns and third party use melee? 

I think you’re reading too much into pictures for clues, which is a bad idea and generally unhelpful. There’s 99.99% never any clues in pictures. And to suggest something so ludicrous that scum use guns and third party use melee is completely bizarre. Where did you hear that one? Scum school? I’m on to you. 

2 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

Honey I love you, but I don't see any good reason for this. I feel you learn more from people if they actually vote for who they want to and are not pressured into joining a camp. This also leads to people easily joinh bandwagons with no thought, or people never being called out and hiding a lot of the time facing no real danger. 

I don't think there was any likelihood of people coming together at that point in time in order to lynch someone, but I do find it useful to see voting patterns converge on a few candidates rather than have them be spread all over the place.  When they're spread out, there's nothing to read into.  Forcing the group to condense that down gives you an ability to see preferences among a few candidates.  It didn't happen, so we'll have to work with what we got.

2 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

You were convinced someone was scum in only 1 hour? I mean I have some suspicions about people  but I would never say I am convinced their scum. Also if that's the case why did you not vote for them? 

Yeah, that's pretty odd.  Officer Lewis voted for Riley and Dr. James.  He must've had a really strong scum read really fast.  And now Officer Lewis says he was brash in PM... to Skinner?

Not a good start.

3 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I thought the only other person (other than myself) that called out Bob for his early declaration was Benson?  Where did Officer Skinner say she was suspicious of Bob?

3 hours ago, jamesn said:

*huh* "Convinced" but did not vote for her??  I'm also curious about the PM

35 minutes ago, fhomess said:

I don't think there was any likelihood of people coming together at that point in time in order to lynch someone, but I do find it useful to see voting patterns converge on a few candidates rather than have them be spread all over the place.  When they're spread out, there's nothing to read into.  Forcing the group to condense that down gives you an ability to see preferences among a few candidates.  It didn't happen, so we'll have to work with what we got.

The moles killed a townie with no votes.  They would have had a larger pool to choose from if the votes had been concentrated.  Either way, I'm not convinced we would have learnt much more, at least not in this early stage.

Sad to hear about Office Skinner, 

4 hours ago, jamesn said:

My biggest concern here is why you would have a PM this early in the game, I wouldn’t trust anyone enough to start a PM with them at this point. 

This one guy in the motor pool always wore clown shoes when he was getting a <sputters out coffee in shock> Skinner is dead!?  Dang.

—-/—-/—-

ooc FYI: we had a nasty snowstorm last night, so my work day is already a disaster.  I won’t be on until this evening, and I’ll try to catch up with things then.

7 hours ago, fhomess said:

Officer Lewis voted for Riley and Dr. James.  He must've had a really strong scum read really fast

9 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

You were convinced someone was scum in only 1 hour?

I'm allowed to suspect any and everyone, especially this early on. No apology is owed so I shall offer none. For the record, however, you will note that I voted for Dr. James to goad her into action, and I voted for Riley because she slipped in on the coattails of Alfred's vote, a move that I thought was eminently scummy so I was happy to keep my vote on her rather than change to someone else. As for Officer Skinner, my suspicion arose later in the day around the circumstances of my claim. Let me explain that:

On 1/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, jamesn said:
On 1/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, Bob said:

I am a member of the Town. What about everyone else? 

On 1/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, Kwatchi said:

I'm a TOWN/CTU/GOOD GUY too.

On 1/7/2019 at 3:52 PM, Kristel said:

for the record, I'm loyal CTU.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:20 PM, Khscarymovie4 said:

If it helps I'm not a mole. There now you can trust me.

As for me? I'm Vanilla Town. See? Now we're 33% done with claiming. I recommend everyone else claim to me in the night (coffee break? who knows), or at least slip a $2 bill into my thong.

Note we are all claiming to be town (except for Senator "not-a-mole" Greene). Note also that the details of our claims are different every time: Bob is "Town", Agent Moore is "TOWN/CTU/GOOD GUY" (and, to be honest, I thought he was flailing for the "correct" claim), Barry is "loyal CTU" and, mentioned above, Senator Greene is "not a mole". I thought that by coming in confidently with a fifth claim that differs in the specifics from the previous ones was a way to put myself above reproach, a way to say "bite me".

And Officer Skinner was the only one to bite. She wasn't happy that I claimed. AT ALL. Earlier in the day, I had actually asked what team she was on and she said she was "loyal CTU", exactly what Barry claimed and similar in nature to how she responded to Bob's claim in Hour 1. Namely, she claimed a different thing than I did. So I thought she was lying. But she flipped CTU. So CTU and town as terms are fungible. I was wrong.

Nobody else responded to my claim in the night coffee hour, which I guess isn't really surprising. But it did give me time to pick a wedgie out of my tactical fishnets. You can't see, but the combination of fishnets and these cargo pants is just awful.

Because I was wrong, I'm back to the drawing board as far as suspects, so I need to have a think.

8 hours ago, fhomess said:

I’m still finding you suspect, Diane! It’s strange that you advocate getting people to vote and converge as a means to analyze them, but voted late in the “hour” and for someone who you led the charge on aka NOT converging as you suggested others should. What you’re saying I absolutely agree with, but you failed to act on it...

49 minutes ago, jamesn said:

And Officer Skinner was the only one to bite. She wasn't happy that I claimed. AT ALL. Earlier in the day, I had actually asked what team she was on and she said she was "loyal CTU", exactly what Barry claimed and similar in nature to how she responded to Bob's claim in Hour 1. Namely, she claimed a different thing than I did. So I thought she was lying. But she flipped CTU. So CTU and town as terms are fungible. I was wrong.

I apologize if I’m the only confused by the order of events here. You reached out to her privately early in the hour privately demanding a claim? Why? And then she claimed immediately back... making you suspect her? And then she was unhappy, again privately, that you claimed in thread? And that also made you suspect her? And then you say she “responded to your claim in the night... er, coffee hour.” But you already had a line of communication open? And you expected others to respond to this claim who didn’t? I’m sorry I just don’t understand who said what when and how that caused suspicion.

14 minutes ago, Zepher said:

.I apologize if I’m the only confused by the order of events here.

You're not the only one, but I think what Officer Lewis is trying to say is that when he asked Skinner what his alignment was he said "CTU", which means town. But Office Lewis is saying he didn't realise Town and CTU were the same thing so thought Skinner was lying? At least I think that's what he means :laugh:, regardless I'm confused because no one is going to openly admit their scum when questioned right? 

11 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Why?

Because going on the offensive can yield results.

12 minutes ago, Zepher said:

making you suspect her?

Because I'm definitely "Town", and she claimed "loyal CTU" to me - incidentally, this was two or so hours after Barry claimed the same thing in thread; I expected her to claim to be town, not CTU.

But you already had a line of communication open?

Yeah, she didn't claim to me again, she reamed me out.

And you expected others to respond to this claim who didn’t?

As I explained above, I thought the circumstances of my claim would establish my townie credentials.

Just now, Tariq j said:

no one is going to openly admit their scum when questioned right?

Exactly! So you look for discrepancies. I thought I found one, but I actually hadn't.

1 hour ago, jamesn said:

I'm allowed to suspect any and everyone, especially this early on. No apology is owed so I shall offer none. For the record, however, you will note that I voted for Dr. James to goad her into action, and I voted for Riley because she slipped in on the coattails of Alfred's vote, a move that I thought was eminently scummy so I was happy to keep my vote on her rather than change to someone else. As for Officer Skinner, my suspicion arose later in the day around the circumstances of my claim. Let me explain that:

Note we are all claiming to be town (except for Senator "not-a-mole" Greene). Note also that the details of our claims are different every time: Bob is "Town", Agent Moore is "TOWN/CTU/GOOD GUY" (and, to be honest, I thought he was flailing for the "correct" claim), Barry is "loyal CTU" and, mentioned above, Senator Greene is "not a mole". I thought that by coming in confidently with a fifth claim that differs in the specifics from the previous ones was a way to put myself above reproach, a way to say "bite me".

Nobody else responded to my claim in the night coffee hour, which I guess isn't really surprising. But it did give me time to pick a wedgie out of my tactical fishnets. You can't see, but the combination of fishnets and these cargo pants is just awful.

Because I was wrong, I'm back to the drawing board as far as suspects, so I need to have a think.

This all seems like crazy desperation analysis, or worse, scum trying to look helpful. I thought we had experienced security guards around here. Or does my GO TEAM need to take over? 

10 hours ago, Bob said:

I think you’re reading too much into pictures for clues, which is a bad idea and generally unhelpful. There’s 99.99% never any clues in pictures. And to suggest something so ludicrous that scum use guns and third party use melee is completely bizarre. Where did you hear that one? Scum school? I’m on to you. 

In fact, rule 12 specifically says there are NO CLUES IN IMAGES. DARN IT! I want MORE CLUES not LESS!

Just now, jamesn said:

Because going on the offensive can yield results.

Because I'm definitely "Town", and she claimed "loyal CTU" to me - incidentally, this was two or so hours after Barry claimed the same thing in thread; I expected her to claim to be town, not CTU.

Yeah, she didn't claim to me again, she reamed me out.

So you suspected someone because they answered in character as opposed to answering the generic way you thought they should? Rule 1 clearly says that CTU = Town and Moles = Scum, so I don't understand why you were so suspicious of the answer. 

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

I’m still finding you suspect, Diane! It’s strange that you advocate getting people to vote and converge as a means to analyze them, but voted late in the “hour” and for someone who you led the charge on aka NOT converging as you suggested others should. What you’re saying I absolutely agree with, but you failed to act on it...

I don't think I voted all that late... it was just a little bit after the middle of the voting period... maybe 45 minutes into the hour, if we divide the hour into 20 minute segments with the first 20 not permitting any votes.  You are correct, though.  I could have perhaps led by example and jumped on one of the other candidates with multiple votes.  Had I done that, I would've switched to my husband Larry, but it really would've just been between him and Riley as I was the only other person with multiple votes.  Riley got his votes for too quickly voting for me, and I didn't find that a compelling reason.  Larry has been talking a lot, but I'm not sure he isn't just trying to stir trouble.

10 hours ago, Kristel said:

The moles killed a townie with no votes.  They would have had a larger pool to choose from if the votes had been concentrated.  Either way, I'm not convinced we would have learnt much more, at least not in this early stage.

It's not always about learning stuff immediately.  Sometimes the value of the first vote starts to become more clear as the day progresses through a few more votes.  I used to be very much in favor of lynching the first time through.  I have since swung largely the other direction, but I find the lack of any effort to consolidate on a few good candidates early on to be a side effect of not lynching that I don't agree with.  What you see on votes where a lynch is pushed, barring an early consensus such as the result of an investigation, is that you force people to take sides and then have the ability later on to look at the reasons they chose for taking those sides.

We lost one of our own.  These moles went straight for security, this CANNOT BE TOLERATED.  WHAT is our NEXT MOVE?

There is a whole lot of discussion about claiming and PMing.  This was a serious issue in my last game as well.  I think a lot more than is strickly needed is being taken into the terms being used.  For sake of clarity, if you are claiming town, just claim town.  It seems as if you are trying to trip people up and cause a lot more misdirected conversation by yelling IM LOYAL CTU.  

As far as the PMs go, I know I am ignoring anything I received before the first night was up.  No one could know anything for sure outside of their own allegiance. 

3 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

In fact, rule 12 specifically says there are NO CLUES IN IMAGES. DARN IT! I want MORE CLUES not LESS!

I don’t know about that. I once put most of the scum at one table huddled together in one of my games by accident and it torpedoed the entire game to the point where we had to restart. But yes, Benson talking about scum being gun killers and third party being melee killers is extremely unhelpful and suspect. If that’s the case, what does he suppose the vigilante is? A slayer with harsh words? I voted for Benson yesterday and I have half a mind to do so today as well. 

13 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

There is a whole lot of discussion about claiming and PMing.  This was a serious issue in my last game as well.  I think a lot more than is strickly needed is being taken into the terms being used.  For sake of clarity, if you are claiming town, just claim town.  It seems as if you are trying to trip people up and cause a lot more misdirected conversation by yelling IM LOYAL CTU.  

If I’m reading this right, I think you’re against people saying that they’re loyal CTU rather than them saying that they’re just a member of the town. While we should always encourage full and active role play in these games, I have to agree with you that it would be more helpful to say town rather than “loyal CTU” or any variation of that. 

Also, are you saying that you’re against PMing? In our last game, PMing amongst ourselves is what helped win us the game, no matter how early on it is.

Why do I always find the same people suspicious every game and then some of them usually turn out to be town? I need to get my scumdar checked out at the shop. 

I'm currently going over some discussions from earlier today and yesterday, as there's a couple things that stand out now that I've got a chance to view it all as a play-by-play. Sorry for being slightly less active.

3 hours ago, fhomess said:

It's not always about learning stuff immediately.  Sometimes the value of the first vote starts to become more clear as the day progresses through a few more votes.  I used to be very much in favor of lynching the first time through.  I have since swung largely the other direction, but I find the lack of any effort to consolidate on a few good candidates early on to be a side effect of not lynching that I don't agree with.  What you see on votes where a lynch is pushed, barring an early consensus such as the result of an investigation, is that you force people to take sides and then have the ability later on to look at the reasons they chose for taking those sides.

Barry's lack of conviction towards voting was something I pushed him on yesterday and he didn't answer my question of who he'd vote for, even if he didn't want to vote. Dr. James pushed this on him as well, and he dodged the doctor's question then as well. I find it weird though that he answered Lewis's question regarding his top suspects. 

Hey, Lewis. Mind telling me why you didn't go on the offensive when it came to Barry and why you let him get away with that? 

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Hey, Lewis. Mind telling me why you didn't go on the offensive when it came to Barry and why you let him get away with that?  

Consider the following meta-analysis of Barry's performance I undertook when deciding how i read him:

Lost as town in Aperture Academy. Chatty. Forced voting.
Won as scum in Harriet Slutter. Alts to avoid meta, but…? Very quiet, shifted blame to others. Got defensive, and posted long tirades. Forced voting.
Lost as town in Silver City. Quiet to start with but posted long analyses late in Day One and early in Day Two. Posted with lots of links. Voted Day One.
Lost as scum in CMF. Seemed busy, liked to post with lots of links on Day Two. Voted Day One.
Lost as Town Mafia after Dark. Non-voter Day One.
Lost as Town in Ragnarok Now Redux. Non-voter Day One.
Won as town in CMF 2. In Day One, quoted lots of people to make various points. Non-voter Day One.
Lost as scum in Mafia Sunset. Only posted what, twice, but claimed to have IRL distractions. Voted Day One.

I decided it wasn't suspicious.

10 hours ago, jamesn said:

I'm not forcing you to apologise. I'm just stating that you being confident of a scum find on hour 1 is very odd. 

Honestly this reason doesn't make a lick of sense to me.I thought we were all playing around claiming town or CTU, I mean obviously no one is going to claim something else. I find it quite odd you took this so seriously. 

4 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Not saying I am against pms. I’m saying getting a pm during day one is a bit suspect. 

I would have to agree our young GO team member to an extent. I mean on day 1 you know so little that pm is rarely a priority because you can't trust anybody. The only people who know if they are contacting town are the scum, meaning the fear of accidentally giving out thoughts to a scummo is not there. I just find it a little odd that a town member is that willing to start pm with potential dangers so early on in the game. 

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

I'm currently going over some discussions from earlier today and yesterday, as there's a couple things that stand out now that I've got a chance to view it all as a play-by-play. Sorry for being slightly less active.

Barry's lack of conviction towards voting was something I pushed him on yesterday and he didn't answer my question of who he'd vote for, even if he didn't want to vote. Dr. James pushed this on him as well, and he dodged the doctor's question then as well. I find it weird though that he answered Lewis's question regarding his top suspects. 

I called you out yesterday for not reading posts properly.  I suggest you reread the first hour and you will see I did reveal who was on my list. Or did you not want to quote that post because you were on the list?

@Kintobor, it was @Tariq jI called out for not reading posts.  Sorry for the confusion.  My bad for using stupid new fang-dangled comms devices while on my potty break.  

Still holds though that I did reveal my list, and you were also on it.

7 hours ago, Asphalt said:

For sake of clarity, if you are claiming town, just claim town.  It seems as if you are trying to trip people up and cause a lot more misdirected conversation by yelling IM LOYAL CTU. 

This is a bit harsh for a game don't you think?  The term for "town" changes with the setting of each game, and we are all able to adapt to such a little thing.  Heck, I even had some fun with it.  No one is trying to trip you up with word games.

Frankly, this strikes me as a distraction argument.

Can we vote yet? Looks like it’s almost time. I really want to vote for that Benson guy. Before anyone comes out and says that I’m just voting with no reason, I think I’ve given plenty reason. I voted for him yesterday, partially because he voted for me with absolutely no reasoning and then disappeared. Today he came out with a bonkers suggestion that we should be looking at the way people are killed to see which role killed them. *huh* Of all the crazy things I’ve heard in these games, that’s up there. He’s either being really silly or he’s trying to deflect that the scum killed last night for some reason, which is an even sillier thing to do. 

Plus he’s been back in the thread a couple times and hasn’t said anything. So, hopefully not much longer until voting opens and I can vote for Benson.