Sign in to follow this  
Roadmonkeytj

[SR-KPA Reaction] For whom the Bell Tolls

The words had all but been long forgotten.  The phase hadn't been uttered since 443 when the great plague swept the nation's.  Now in 619 we are hear the phrase again being shouted through the streets the sickening phrase. 

"BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!"

The body collector's cart rolls through a neighborhood in Mesabi Landing today.   The earthquake was cold and emotionless harshness.   It cared not for age or sex or class.  As the building crumbled sending rubble crashing down it claimed many lives.   Now as the Landings residents try to restore their town they will ever more be haunted by the phrase bring out your dead. 

Body Collector.lxf

OoC so the earthquake inspired a bit of Monty Python to ring through my head and this build resulted. 

Mesabi landing (if approved) is allowed to use it towards its stud total just let me know how / when to licence.

24 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Mesabi landing (if approved) is allowed to use it towards its stud total just let me know how / when to licence.

no need to licence, just declare the built as a free built

Great response!

Just one thing I am not sure about. I see a horse :pir-laugh: I am pretty sure that poor animal will be slaughtered for food very quickly :pir-tongue:

Edited by Maxim I

7 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

I am pretty sure that poor animal will be slaughtered for food very quickly :pir-tongue:

Horse meat butcher's for the next property on ML ! :sweet:

53 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

Horse meat butcher's for the next property on ML ! :sweet:

We did think about a horse meat factory for some time already, but right now a new factory is a bit low on the list of priorities! :pir-grin:

Edited by Drunknok

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and not that of the court. In the spirit of this project, here is some detailed feedback.

First up, this is a very fitting subject for the first build as it shows an immediate reaction - so great job with that.

I somewhat disagree with Drunknoks comments here. While, the scene itself is relatively simple, I think it is a good example of what can be achieved with a limited collection. Also it's not meant to be licensed, so a small and simple structure in the background is fine. For the story you are trying to portray, I think it does the job well and what's more it fits the style of the settlement well in both colour palette and feel. I like the way the road is at the lowest level and is a darker shade of tan than the rest of the dirt although maybe another level or two between the road and the tan landscape may have enhanced the build. The cobblestones sprinkled around look to be about the right density to me. Sometimes that in itself is hard to achieve as too few looks sparse and too many looks to formal, so again good work here. The cart itself is well done and the minifigs are excellently posed - no small feat in LDD! Again I feel you have the right amount of vegetation here and I like how the stalks are clustered in small clumps. I just wish those prickly bushes came in olive! The tan ground is a little too bare for my personal taste but it works ok here and matches the style of the other MOCs in the settlement. I'd maybe try and blend some olive plates into the ground, especially around the plant clumps just to give a little more variety. Also maybe the odd stone? Or as the settlement was also hit by a tsumani, maybe some debris or seaweed or something... just some ideas.

The building is the part I am not completely sold on. The two parallel diagonal cracks seem too uniform for damage and I'm not quite sure about the half stud offset (or are they plates with rails?) on the end. The damage to the brick foundation on the other hand I think is quite well done. I would have liked to have seen the roof tiled as the exposed studs look a bit strange next to the dark orange tiles (that look great btw) on the edges (but you might have been trying to match the exposed stud style of ML?). As mentioned for the landscape, a little more rubble strewn around would have enhanced the building as well IMO, although getting the randomly place rubble to look right in LDD is extremely difficult!

With the irregular base, I think that you need to break up the straight lines a bit, especially at the front (this is feedback I received early on when experimenting with irregular base shapes and something I still struggle with). I find there are two methods to do this, either using more wedge plates for the sloped look all around, or using smaller normal plates to make like a horizontally stepped shape (if that makes sense?). There is a great tutorial here on Brickbuilt. By making the base more 'irregular' I think you could have really enhanced the look. Also is there a random piece stuck under the base causing the gap in the render between the base and floor? Or is that just the program you are using for the render?

Anyway hopefully you find some of this helpful. As Bregir said in the other thread, the court will now convene as we would for a Royal property and make a decision.

19 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

This. This was exactly what I was planning to do!

I'm sure there are more than one "body collector" you should still do it! 

19 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Great response!

Just one thing I am not sure about. I see a horse :pir-laugh: I am pretty sure that poor animal will be slaughtered for food very quickly :pir-tongue:

Haha I remember reading in one of their rail builds that they only eat the horse after they work it to death lol! 

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and not that of the court. In the spirit of this project, here is some detailed feedback.

First up, this is a very fitting subject for the first build as it shows an immediate reaction - so great job with that.

I somewhat disagree with Drunknoks comments here.

<edited for space>

Firstly thank you for the detailed feedback.  I did struggle a little as my understanding of the Landing is very sparse and desert like.   I was also trying to keep the building very simple yet while adding structural detail like the crown detailing.  The cracks in the side of the building did not translate well at this angle.   The two angled slats were supposed to be wall chunks missing.   Again didn't translate from the angle (you can see I've wedged a tile in the one (like you said not easy in LDD).

Over all I had fun building this and again I will take all your suggestions in mind on other builds! 

@Roadmonkeytj thanks for building for Mesabi Landing, and helping out. I like your take on Mesabi Landing, and it's a good representation of what I always intend with my builds.

I'm a bit curious as to what's going on with the horse's head and that claw element though... 

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

@Roadmonkeytj thanks for building for Mesabi Landing, and helping out. I like your take on Mesabi Landing, and it's a good representation of what I always intend with my builds.

I'm a bit curious as to what's going on with the horse's head and that claw element though... 

It's the only way I could replicate the ostrich plumes 

Some good reading 

Great idea (although a bit dark! ;) ), and nice execution.

The court has reviewed your build, and decided that it is well within the spirit of the minichallenge posed for Mesabi Landing. However, in line with this spirit of improvement, we would like to see you revisit the following feedback:

1. The cobblestone for the road track are sitting on top of the ground rather than being embedded on it. We would like to see some more work done on this part of the build. Examples could be some sort of depression of the stones (sunk amongst other bricks) or perhaps even wheelruts.
  2. The settlement has just been hit by a disaster, and we would expect more evidence of this. It could be seaweed lying around, some rubble, or barrels or similar shattered around the build. (preferably without cluttering the build)
  3. The angled slots in the walls isn't as effective as intended, and we would like to see this addressed. Solutions may be reworking the wall damage or show it from a different angle.

To count towards the studcount for the minichallenge, two of these should be addressed, although we of course encourage looking at all three.

4 hours ago, Drunknok said:

@Roadmonkeytj

How is it going with the suggestions from Court to get this one approved? Just asking for the friend of a friend. :pir-grin:

Honestly it kinda got put on a back burner ... As I'm struggling to find time for the builds I've committed to build for the faction and the AMCRA.  I'm working 70 hours a week right now and with taking care of two small children time gets thin.