Flavius Gratian

[COR - Raising troops] Vernon's Company

In these increasingly uncertain times in the Brick Seas it's better to be safe than sorry. The Crown's forces defending the colonies have now been reinforced by the 41st Regiment of Foot.

Only just arrived on Cocovia, the 2nd Battalion have already recieved orders. The 1st Company, commanded by Major Arthur Vernon, known as "Vernon's Company" are to embark on a Royal Navy squadron in King's Harbour. Though he is happy to be part of some action, Major Vernon is slightly annoyed that he has been informed of neither the purpose nor destination of this mission.

32792927598_66db00fd07.jpg

Here Vernon's Company are seen marching to King's Harbour from their camp in the countryside:

32792927388_f8fe3ae026_z.jpg

45942932584_583eee0904_z.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a small build to raise a company in King's Harbour.

Very nice. Love the bayonets!

The drum/drummer is well done, too. Is that the "drumbeat of war" I hear? :oh: :pir-grin:

53 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Very nice. Love the bayonets!

The drum/drummer is well done, too. Is that the "drumbeat of war" I hear? :oh: :pir-grin:

Thanks! I also think they're very good, bought them years ago and now I don't remember where :hmpf_bad:

It took way longer than it shold have to fastned that string on the drum, so I'm glad you like it! Well, I can't help but notice that Eslandola is raising at least twice the amount of troops this turn :pir-tongue:

36 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Very nice parade indeed

Thanks you!

More troops! That brick for the drum is very smart! I might take inspiration from that :pir-grin:

but 41st regiment? how many corries with guns are there? I almost feel worried. 

26 minutes ago, Bart said:

41st regiment? how many corries with guns are there?

Corlanders like to count consecutively. I'm sure a few regiments were wiped out during the Juniper Wars...

7 hours ago, Bart said:

More troops! That brick for the drum is very smart! I might take inspiration from that :pir-grin:

but 41st regiment? how many corries with guns are there? I almost feel worried. 

Yes, seems everybody is arming these days. Thanks, please be as inspired as you like! 

In game I think we have only named 3 regiments, but they're not close tt being fully raised. In lore, I expect a large Empire like Corrington to have many thousands of troops.

7 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Corlanders like to count consecutively. I'm sure a few regiments were wiped out during the Juniper Wars...

How else would you count? :pir-tongue: That may be true, I don't think we have any lore for that

4 hours ago, Fraunces said:

i love the simple minifig heads :pir-grin:

I always like to imagine my troops as an impersonal wall of soldiers, so I use the standard head. Glad you appreciate it!

9 hours ago, Flavius Gratian said:

How else would you count?

Other countries might go back and replace old regiments with new ones. These guys just keep adding new ones.

Great display of redcoats Flavius. The use of the classic head does look very smart all in a row like that. The drummer, colour sergeant and colour bearer are nicely done. I have often thought about arming my sergeants with pikes but I have never really found on that seems to fit. I really like the historical feel of this company, great work!

Thanks for this historical accurate MOC! Never knew the sergeant was wearing a "Spontoon", so thanks for teaching me something new! :sweet:

Great job! I am not such a big fan of the simple faces, as it looks like a bunch of simple fools marching toward their death. But then again, that is exactly what happened back then. Simple fools standing next to each other, ready to be hit hahaha :laugh:

On 1/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, Ross Fisher said:

Other countries might go back and replace old regiments with new ones. These guys just keep adding new ones.

Who's saying we don't do both? Maybe we have loads more troops than you blucoats expect :devil:

On 1/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, Ayrlego said:

Great display of redcoats Flavius. The use of the classic head does look very smart all in a row like that. The drummer, colour sergeant and colour bearer are nicely done. I have often thought about arming my sergeants with pikes but I have never really found on that seems to fit. I really like the historical feel of this company, great work!

Thank you very much! I really tried to go for an as historical look as possible. I agree that the spear isn't perfect, but I havn't found one that fits better either.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, Bodi said:

That's a bunch of pride redcoats, nice minifigs posing.

Thank you! Every Corlander is proud to serve Her Majesty.

4 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Thanks for this historical accurate MOC! Never knew the sergeant was wearing a "Spontoon", so thanks for teaching me something new! :sweet:

Great job! I am not such a big fan of the simple faces, as it looks like a bunch of simple fools marching toward their death. But then again, that is exactly what happened back then. Simple fools standing next to each other, ready to be hit hahaha :laugh:

Thanks very much! I didn't know that either, up untill a few days ago, so I was really lucky with that timing! :pir_laugh2:

Each to his own I guess! I've always prefered uniformity overvariety, but I don't know about them looking simpleminded, that's just the standard face.

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

I am not such a big fan of the simple faces, as it looks like a bunch of simple fools marching toward their death. But then again, that is exactly what happened back then. Simple fools standing next to each other, ready to be hit hahaha :laugh:

I had a history teacher back in school that I will never forget...  We are discussing the revolutionary war (US vs Britain) specifically the fighting styles and how the US began using "gorilla tactics" as the Red coats out numbered US.   He drew a regiment formation on the board then explained it was common practice for both sides to parade out in front of each other and line up.  Just like they are going to play a game of red rover.  Then both sides ready, aim.   He interjected you were taught not to Actually aim at the person across the field from you as that would be murder but just point in the location of the bodies.  He then said a general or comander would then give the order to fire and red rover red rover send your bullets on over.  Since the reload time was quite long your front line would take a knee while the back shot.  The best part was when the guy in front of you got shot you simply stepped forward for your turn to be shot. 

To this day this odd ball teachers words stay with me lol

1 minute ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I had a history teacher back in school that I will never forget...  We are discussing the revolutionary war (US vs Britain) specifically the fighting styles and how the US began using "gorilla tactics" as the Red coats out numbered US.   He drew a regiment formation on the board then explained it was common practice for both sides to parade out in front of each other and line up.  Just like they are going to play a game of red rover.  Then both sides ready, aim.   He interjected you were taught not to Actually aim at the person across the field from you as that would be murder but just point in the location of the bodies.  He then said a general or comander would then give the order to fire and red rover red rover send your bullets on over.  Since the reload time was quite long your front line would take a knee while the back shot.  The best part was when the guy in front of you got shot you simply stepped forward for your turn to be shot. 

To this day this odd ball teachers words stay with me lol

I advice you to play games like Imperial glory or Empire Total War. Those battle scenes are portraying this exactly :wink:

When those troops are marching to each other until the enemy is within shooting distance, then stand still and shoot, reload, shoot, reload or step forward because the one before died, shoot, etc etc. It always make me think what a crazy age it was. I mean, you as soldier are marching on the front line, next to your buddy John, seeing the enemy marching towards you in the distance. You know there is a huge chance you won't see John again after this battle. There are no battlements to guard you, nor other objects. Your sergeant yells stop, you start aiming and then wait for a few seconds... Waiting till the Sergeant says fire or till the enemies sergeant yells fire and a bullet is coming your way. Those few seconds must be so unnatural...