Previously...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Raven Fernwood was a bigger man than I had thought. 

I had expected a meeting with one of the heads of the Trading conglomerates, or perhaps their representative. Instead, tucked in an alley in the town of Gromm, the Governor of the Wastelands was staring past me. We were standing outside of a monastery of some kind, or at least I assumed a monastery. 

This was it. This was my chance. 

45749043955_53064afd4d_c.jpg

Refusing to look at me, the Governor cleared his throat. "I understand you know Raven Fernwood."

"Perhaps I do."

He opened his mouth, then closed it. Struggling, he managed, "So you are the survivor of the civil war inside the Marauders we have to deal with."

45749063975_56eb1e7a25_c.jpg

A fire welled up inside me. All forethought left me. I slammed my helmet on the cobblestone street. 

"I'm no Marauder. I am Aarinstahrr of the Black Lodge, Raxus Orsen Waythe, warrior of the wastelands.  You didn't get a new band of Marauders. The Marauders are dead and gone, in the ash heap of history as far as I'm concerned. And I was the one that broke them."

Where disgust had once been, intrigue replaced it. "Why?"

And then my speech came to me. 

"Perhaps you haven't realized, Governor, but a Queen sits on the throne of Historica. For many a year, we have had freedom in our affairs, with no one to rule these lands. And we have flourished. Gromm was once a hut and a well, and now it sits as the crystal in the rocks of the wasteland. But the Queen has acted, taking from one mouth to give to another."

"For the good of those starving," he replied, slowly.

I smiled. A wolfish smile. I could see it unnerved him. "Sure, of course. For the good of the people. And then, Governor, for the good of the people she will move our troops to borders more important to her. And then for the good of the people, she will take our wealth, which we bleed for, and give it to those who can't pull themselves out of a bottle. She will create charters, without which it will be illegal to trade as we have. And we will be powerless to stop her."

"She is a good woman."

"So were many, before they felt the power in their hands. I know not her heart, but I have seen the lust of Kings, and I assure you she is not immune from it. None are." 

"Then we are once again under a..." The Governor looked at me.

"Unless we act now. I am no refined gentleman, but I am not a barbarian. Where the Marauders brought chaos, I can bring order. Order necessary to maintain a free Varlyrio. Order necessary to see our fruits continue to mature. You and I, we will check each other. As long as we stand united, Varlyrio shall bow to no grant Queen. But if I am to be an agent of order, I need a seal."

"What do you need?"

And here came the money part. I was gambling, gambling more than I ever had. What I was asking was not just a risk to myself, but to Varlyrio. But I needed it. "I need to appointed Judge."

"The Wastelands haven't had a Judge since Revolwold," The Governor murmured.

"Nonetheless it is what I require. Think, Governor. The return of the Judge would mean trade routes would be even safer than they were, more open to commerce. And more to the point, Queen's edicts would be under my purview to enforce. But as the Judge's code states, my duty is to enforce just laws, and just laws only."

"I am taking an awful risk, Orsen Waythe. If I am to do this, I must have one question answered. Why did you leave your leader, at a moment your aid would have been indispensable."

Unexpected, but bitter all the same. In the end, it was a small price to pay, but I still hated paying it. "I was his son, not his 'adopted son'. He wished me to marry my half-sister, and she wished the same. He told me I would do it, or die. So I left."

"Oh that our secrets will remain better hidden," The governor said, with genuine weariness. "You shall have your warrant. I will bring back the position of Judge of the Wastelands."

32789330388_1ca098dbc2_c.jpg

Edited by Andrew Spader

Very nice unique building! I'm getting lost in the story though: Raven is the Governor of a city in the wasteland? And how can he make a judge?  And was he the same guy who was second in command of the main character's business, or is that another person?  You know what would be great would be if you did bios for all the characters that are important, than I could find those answers whenever I get confused very easily! Nice working getting the first Challenge entry tho!  And I dig the use of studs under the window, they look great somehow!  

Nice build and intriguing story, Andrew - I'll second Navarre's comment about a character overview though, it's hard to keep everybody straight! :grin:  I quite like those windows and the use of the orange Ninjago brick, and whether that is snow on the roof or the roof itself, it strikes me as odd every time I think about what it's meant to depict, but it looks neat regardless! :laugh:  Looking forward to where you go from here!

11 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Very nice unique building! I'm getting lost in the story though: Raven is the Governor of a city in the wasteland? And how can he make a judge?  And was he the same guy who was second in command of the main character's business, or is that another person?  You know what would be great would be if you did bios for all the characters that are important, than I could find those answers whenever I get confused very easily! Nice working getting the first Challenge entry tho!  And I dig the use of studs under the window, they look great somehow!  

Alright, for the sake of you and everyone else who reads this (maybe I should've put it at the beginning of the build) 

Fernwood: a Partner in Black Lodge, secured this meeting but not present. 

Orsen Waythe: Narrator, runs Black Lodge, seeking a judgeship (imagine an old west sheriff and district attorney rolled into one)

Governor: Helps facilitate (and partake) in local commerce. Has actual authority to grant positions in local government. 

As far as bios go, that is a very good idea I should've done earlier. Maybe can get that out before next Monday. Thanks for the comment and sorry I didn't do a better job clarifying this in the story. 

10 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Nice build and intriguing story, Andrew - I'll second Navarre's comment about a character overview though, it's hard to keep everybody straight! :grin:  I quite like those windows and the use of the orange Ninjago brick, and whether that is snow on the roof or the roof itself, it strikes me as odd every time I think about what it's meant to depict, but it looks neat regardless! :laugh:  Looking forward to where you go from here!

It was meant to be the roof itself, the ninjago design required pieces I only had in white in that quantity. I'll try to remedy that in the future :) anyway, thank you for the feedback!

Really nice challenge entry, and great to see Varlyrio take first blood! Love those windows, that's a fabulous design, will need to steal that. Unlike @Garmadon, I' not a fan of the Ninjago brick, I think the orange stands out too much from the otherwise muted colour palette. I think the cobblestone technique works great though.

I've enjoyed your stories so far but this one was definitely the hardest to follow - I'm glad you clarified a few things. Character bios would really help, and since it's a guild challenge will earn you extra kudos amongst your fellow backstabbers Varlyrians.

I think the civil war within the Marauders is a great idea and I like the way you're settings up the wastelands to be an untamed wilderness, that makes it rife for stories and gives an outlet for some military action in lieu of official challenges on the matter.

Great work!

Edited by Basiliscus

Thanks for the explanations!  Personally I like that roof though I can't quite tell why it would look like that, but who cares if it looks cool, right :wink: ? I think two of the bull sigils would have made the orange sign fit in more, right now I find it a nice but confusing looking pop of color, messed up by the different sigils that aren't very similar on either side. 

Very nice vignette, JoW. The rounded windows fit particularly well. Love the cobblestone once more. Aslo love the story once more! I see you've followed my advice including a link to the previous chapter, which adds continuity :classic: You have me very intrigued by the story - keep it coming man :thumbup:

Excellent round window technique :thumbup: The red and white roof looks a little off to me, a solid color or two similar colors mottled together might be better.
Nice touch to have your character remove his helmet - and then back that up with your pictures and posing :classic:

Very nice build!  I like the color combination (even the Ninjago orange) and the unique combination of techniques - it helps this stand out as a nonKAM (Kali/Avi/Miti) build.  Good story as well, continuing to develop your character's plotline. 

I like the texture of the ground, as well as the arches making the windows. The fig closeups are great and add a lot to the story. The main critique I have is that the build just seems so low; some sort of height variation would help it be more visually interesting, I think. Also, I agree with Basiliscus that the orange stands out a bit too much. A nice entry, though!