Sign in to follow this  
icemorons

Will there be a 2019 freight train?

Has anyone heard any rumblings or rumors about a new freight train coming in 2019, similar to the "year after the major releases" in which 3677 Red Cargo Train (2011) and 60098 Heavy Haul Train (2015) were released?

Edited by icemorons
Incomplete thought.

I don't expect one but you never know. A colleague of mine (engineering school) deals with LEGO often in a professional way, they have to sign so many NDA's that it is almost getting impossible to get insights in what LEGO is working on.

8 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Those were both Toys R Us exclusives. So who knows.

That might have been true here in the USA, but both sets were also available worldwide.  And, Amazon currently has exclusive rights to 60198 (in addition to Lego stores and S@H).   So, a 2019 freight might see a wider release here, like at Walmart, Target, etc.   Guess we'll just have to wait and see.   As I recall, @Sir von Lego provided the first hints at the existence of the 2018 trains...   Perhaps he knows any news?

1 hour ago, Hod Carrier said:

Didn’t Toys R Us go to the wall last year...?

They declared bankruptcy, and closed all stores in the USA and most other countries, worldwide.   Although, Toys R Us is still open and doing business in Canada, since the Canadian stores were purchased by another entity, which continues operation.

Thanks for the update. I’m just not sure that in their current form they can be relied upon to have enough clout to produce an exclusive model.

10 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Thanks for the update. I’m just not sure that in their current form they can be relied upon to have enough clout to produce an exclusive model.

It was only exclusive here in the USA, as far as I know.   Both 3677 and 60098 were sold elsewhere in the world, and may or may not have been exclusives in those countries.   My point was, if Lego goes by the established pattern, they may do a new "extra" freight train in 2019.  Exclusivity, or not, shouldn't matter for its development, as it would be sold worldwide anyhow.    I'm hoping there is a new train for 2019, of course.  But I started the thread to see if anyone had any news about the existence (or not) of such a train in development.

19 hours ago, icemorons said:

...but I started the thread to see if anyone had any news about the existence (or not) of such a train in development.

There ARE two potentual sources for Disney-themed trains with the upcoming Toy Story sequel, as well as the Dumbo remake... so maybe?

I’d still welcome a run-of-the-mill freight set... with maybe an inverse color scheme when compared with the current offering(s)?

52 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

There ARE two potentual sources for Disney-themed trains with the upcoming Toy Story sequel, as well as the Dumbo remake... so maybe?

I’d still welcome a run-of-the-mill freight set... with maybe an inverse color scheme when compared with the current offering(s)?

I was thinking about colors also.   As far as I know, since 2006, they haven't released a locomotive in predominantly Purple, Brown, Grey, or Black. And in that time there have only been one each in Yellow and Orange:

Green
2006 - 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe
2006 - 10173 Holiday Train
2009 - 10194 Emerald Night
2016 - 10254 Winter Holiday Train
2018 - 60198 Cargo Train

Red
2007 - 10183 Hobby Trains
2010 - 7938 Passenger Train
2011 - 3677 Red Cargo Train
2015 - 60098 Heavy-Haul Train

Blue
2011 - 10219 Maersk Container Train
2014 - 60052 Cargo Train
2018 - 60197 Passenger Train

White
2006 - 7897 Passenger Train
2014 - 60051 High-Speed Passenger Train

Yellow
2010 - 7939 Cargo Train

Orange
2013 - 10233 Horizon Express

Your guess is as good as mine, but I'd like to see any new train in an unused, or seldom released color.

zusammengebaut mentioned in their video yesterday that at the press conference at Nuremberg Toy Fair it was stated that last year's City train sets enjoyed great popularity. So I could well imagine - and of course I do hope so - that there'll be minimum one train related set (train or / and train station) in the City or / and the Creator Expert theme.

i am hoping that they would bring out more trains after that. Maybe (hopefully!!!) they will bring out extra wagons aswell although i dont beleive in the last one really

XGBC

We can all hope that they release another one! They seemed to have done that for the past two "cycles" of trains that have come out 2011 and 2015

-RailCo

On 1/9/2019 at 12:38 PM, Hod Carrier said:

In the UK, 60098 was available from Smyths Toys (I bought mine from there) and I think possibly from John Lewis too.  I'm pretty sure those two stores are in the position that TRU was in before bankruptcy - they also both sell modulars, and other exclusive sets.

Frankly, if there were a new train set intended for release in 2019, I'd hope and somewhat expect it to be a new station, rather than a new freight train. It's true that in the past, the set that came out after the main wave was USUALLY a freight train, but then, in the past a station was usually INCLUDED in the main wave, whereas last year that wasn't the case.

There is also precedent for a station coming out a year after the main wave: 7997, released in 2007 after the initial 2006 wave of LEGO City trains. Notably, both the 2006 and 2018 waves represented the launch of a new control system for the trains (the 2006 LEGO City trains were the first to use infrared remote control instead of 9V electrified rails, while the 2018 LEGO City trains introduced the Bluetooth controlled Powered Up system). So perhaps a situation like that is enough to motivate LEGO to emphasize the trains themselves in the main wave and save the station for later?

@Aanchir That's actually a good point. 2014's range got a station as they didn't change the track packs but this year everything changed, and they've never released more then 4 SKUs per year for trains.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:43 AM, Hod Carrier said:

Didn’t Toys R Us go to the wall last year...?

Not everywhere. Here, in Germany, they are still alive. But they also have competitive prices, something that TrU in the US was supposed to be lacking.

I’d like to see another American diesel, maybe a more modern one like an ES44. As for color maybe something along the lines of UP’s Greyhound scheme (two tone grey and yellow)?

that would be really nice to have since the old one from the 3677 red cargo train is a bit different i think.

XGBC