Sign in to follow this  
Pdaitabird

[MOC] Simple Trackside Decoupler

I wanted to share this simple decoupler with the community.  The advantage of this type of decoupler is that it actually separates the magnets rather than just holding back a car by its wheel, so there is no chance of the train separating in the wrong place.  Mine is activated by a hand crank, but the output shaft could easily be connected to a motor.  The photos should give you a pretty good idea of how to build the mechanism.  I hope others can make use of it!

31714182397_abb18fa2e3_c.jpgIMG_0649 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

46603224232_3d5de838b1_c.jpgIMG_0650 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

45930843254_39021dd4ec_c.jpgIMG_0651 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

45930844264_3a4bd9d23f_c.jpgIMG_0644 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

31714181347_7cdd39e361_c.jpgIMG_0647 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

46603222472_af3b2621b9_c.jpgIMG_0648 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

Soli Deo Gloria

17 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Any chance to get a video? 

Here is a video of the decoupler in action.  My apologies for the shaky camera - I'm trying to film and run the 9v controller at once!

Soli Deo Gloria

Nice work. Is there a way to make it so that it can move a bit parallel to the tracks so that you don't have to stop the train perfectly on the spot?

8 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Nice work. Is there a way to make it so that it can move a bit parallel to the tracks so that you don't have to stop the train perfectly on the spot?

Thanks! Although I haven't tried it, you could probably mount the whole assembly on wheels to roll on a narrow-gauge track beside the mainline.

12 hours ago, dr_spock said:

That might become tricky:

As the coupling is broken up by pulling the train against the decoupler, it is required that the decoupler does not move parallel to the track.