barneius

[MOC] TIE Interceptor

After learning some basic skills on modifying First Order TIE Fighter and designing Imperial TIE Fighter based on official LEGO sets, moving on to TIE Interceptor was an obvious and natural choice. I really like the ship. It’s shapes are way more interesting than the standard fighters, yet the Interceptor is stylish and what is even more important for me - 100% classic.

Basically all I had to do was to create it’s panels. My first decision was to abandon the use of locking hinges because the angles of the upper and lower parts of the panels are significantly and visibly bigger then 45 degrees and my priority was to get the best proportions. I ended up with this solution and I’m satisfied with it. The angles are just right and the upper and lower parts are locked securely in position. Even though it is a display piece, the model is solid and swooshable. I’ve also managed to include lots of important details. I am aware there are imperfections mostly regarding details but I think I got it just right as for minifig scale and classic build which matches well official LEGO sets. The piece count is 774 + 50 for the stand.

More pics on my flickr account here. If you like it, you may find pdf step-by-step instructions on rebrickable.

45911784894_daa3ec6f1c_c.jpgTIE Interceptor Lego MOC by barneius, on Flickr

46636264661_624bfa72cf_c.jpgTIE Interceptor Lego MOC by barneius, on Flickr

45911783554_31a7880d51_c.jpgTIE Interceptor Lego MOC by barneius, on Flickr

46583964442_1709503822_c.jpgTIE Interceptor Lego MOC by barneius, on Flickr

46636263251_c12567c8df_c.jpgTIE Interceptor Lego MOC by barneius, on Flickr

45911780544_42544869c1_c.jpgTIE Interceptor Lego MOC by barneius, on Flickr

Edited by barneius

Yes, it looks lovely! Thanks for sharing. Setting the Interceptor on its stand at that slight angle is a great call, as are the grille plates on the exterior.

I really like that wing connection! I'll have to adapt my Interceptor to use a similar method. :)

1 minute ago, Moppo said:

I really like that wing connection! I'll have to adapt my Interceptor to use a similar method. :)

yep - finding the right connection method for the panels was the most challenging part of this design. go for it :)

Fantastic TIE Interceptor! My favourite class of TIE :) Nice to see some plate-built wings. Lovely detailing on the panels. Congrats!

Beautiful design, very well done, sir! I'm excited to see how it will do against 75240 Vonreg’s TIE. Don't think LEGO got the slightest chance.

How many parts did you use?

1 hour ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Beautiful design, very well done, sir! I'm excited to see how it will do against 75240 Vonreg’s TIE. Don't think LEGO got the slightest chance.

How many parts did you use?

Thx. 774 pieces for the model + 50 for the stand.

This looks brilliant, in fact all your Ties look brilliant, I think you’ve done an even better job than Jerac! You’ve struck a very good balance between SNOT, detail, simplicity and strength, they all look rock solid. I especially like your choice of pieces for shaping on the front and back faces of the ball, those new corner-cut pieces are perfect. Hope you don’t mind but I saw that shaping last year and copied some of it to improve my Solo Tie Fighter. I’ve been trying to limit my mods to surface pieces and this really helped turn the Tie from a good set to one of my favourites, so thanks :)

1 hour ago, mcphatty said:

This looks brilliant, in fact all your Ties look brilliant, I think you’ve done an even better job than Jerac! You’ve struck a very good balance between SNOT, detail, simplicity and strength, they all look rock solid. I especially like your choice of pieces for shaping on the front and back faces of the ball, those new corner-cut pieces are perfect. Hope you don’t mind but I saw that shaping last year and copied some of it to improve my Solo Tie Fighter. I’ve been trying to limit my mods to surface pieces and this really helped turn the Tie from a good set to one of my favourites, so thanks :)

Thx. Strength is indeed my priority even though I accept compromises that LEGO would probably not in production sets. Than go proportions and last but not least details. Of course I don't mind using my idea of corner-cut 1x2 slopes for shaping the ball in your mod. I would rather call it inspiring than copying. And in fact you're not the only one who was inspired. That just makes me feel satisfied :) This mod of yours looks much better than the original set, which in my opinion is quite disappointing. I can't resist the feeling LEGO designers put greater effort in using some not ordinary pieces than properly shaping the model. Too bad for the model.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, barneius said:

Thx. Strength is indeed my priority even though I accept compromises that LEGO would probably not in production sets. Than go proportions and last but not least details. Of course I don't mind using my idea of corner-cut 1x2 slopes for shaping the ball in your mod. I would rather call it inspiring than copying. And in fact you're not the only one who was inspired. That just makes me feel satisfied :) This mod of yours looks much better than the original set, which in my opinion is quite disappointing. I can't resist the feeling LEGO designers put greater effort in using some not ordinary pieces than properly shaping the model. Too bad for the model.

Strength is the best starting point I think, these are fundamentally toys and although some Mocs like Intherts are work of art they’re rarely practical for the rest of us to reproduce or store. And I liked the 75211 Tie originally but I’m now really pleased with how it looks after a few changes. Those strange Minecraft pentagonal pieces either side of the cockpit are a good example of not ordinary pieces, totally pointless and probably hurt sales. Thanks for the compliments, always nice to hear that a mod works well!

I agree with mcphatty----I prefer this one to jerac's-----the proportions and angles just "look right to me".  Also, I have never been fond of the "tiles and hinges wrapped around the edges" method for the wings---it may be OK in UCS scale, but for anything smaller it always makes "fat" TIE radiator panels.  I prefer the "offset layered plates" style like this and Rebel Builder's.  

Edited by steele

This is great. the plate built wings will look perfect next to my official tie and tie strikers. while i really do like jerkac's tie design its just to different from the official sets and i love my tie strikers.