Hey everyone, here is a sideways conveyor I've made using 25 brick separators.  It is quite a simple build, and has some input restrictions.  It can handle a fast stream of 1-2 balls but would fail the 30 batch standard rule.  I think it looks great even when turned off.  Some people have said it looks like an insect, and I think it has that nice baggage carousel effect when it's turned on.

separation_01_wm.jpg

separation_03_wm.jpg

separation_02_wm.jpg

Please enjoy the video.

Nice idea, well done! I was also planning to do something with all these brick separators in a GBC so I might use your 'caterpillar insect' idea :)

I like how clean and "minimalistic" this looks. I like the sleek design of the whole thing, especially the input and output bins. It looks very "modern". The perfect black with orange color scheme also works really well. And the workings are quick and simple, yet still unique. I like it.

To cirvumvent the 30-ball batch rule, you now also have to create another module to put before it :)

what i like about your modules in general is that they look clean and simple all while having an great mechanism

XGBC

Thanks for the feedback.  While the module looks great, it could use some additional strengthening as only the middle section has beams bracing it together.  Also a ball can sometimes get in a strange position on the separators and miss the output.

I have a bit of work to do on it before I bring it to a public show.

Edited by Great Ball Pit

I have built this module, and made a few minor changes... it will be displayed, and run for 3 days at Brickvention Melbourne, this weekend.. so I'll soon find out how reliable it is! :)

I've run mine for about 20-30mins so far, and it's been fine

Major change was to embiggen the output catch/hopper, as there is a certain spot that balls can randomly sit, on the separators, that would cause it to ride around the other side, and miss the original sized catcher

I can happily report that the module ran mostly fine all weekend..

by the last day, some of the track pieces were sticking a bit (dust?), which caused a few angles in the chain loop here and there, meaning there was more of a gap - which resulted in a few dropped balls..   

Other than that.. worked well!

Almost done with my version.

• I used all 30 orange separators I have, only 1 green separator left :)
  • I've added an inbox so it complies to GBC standard of 30 balls at once
  • For smooth operation I'm using the new XXL sprockets from 42095 (part still not available on bricklink parts list)
  • Attaching the separators with the relatively new 1 x 1 inverted bracket 36840

Hope to post a video soon, a seller is not shipping for 5 days now so cannot finish final touches.

13 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Almost done with my version.

• I used all 30 orange separators I have, only 1 green separator left :)
  • I've added an inbox so it complies to GBC standard of 30 balls at once
  • For smooth operation I'm using the new XXL sprockets from 42095 (part still not available on bricklink parts list)
  • Attaching the separators with the relatively new 1 x 1 inverted bracket 36840

Hope to post a video soon, a seller is not shipping for 5 days now so cannot finish final touches.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.  My order of 8 large sprockets just shipped, I may retrofit them depending on how your module looks/runs.

Here it is. Not as elegant as yours but runs very smooth and can be placed anywhere in a GBC circuit.

46107047845_021a6c80cf_c.jpg