Sign in to follow this  
CSW652

10017 Hopper

Does anyone know what the MOT Hopper 10017 is based off of and would you have pictures of the real thing?  Assuming it is a European design.

I don't think it is a typical EU design:

https://www.google.nl/search?biw=1489&bih=917&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=XHUzXPaXLYrRwAKruKu4AQ&q=hopper+train&oq=hopper+train&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i5i30l3j0i8i30l5.4071.7623..7953...0.0..0.55.512.12......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0i67.hPU_KnjKJ30

Most hoppers in the EU (at least in The Netherlands) are quite small. The German railroad has larger ones but most are also small AFAIK:

04088024.jpg

I've seen something similar on a meter gauge steam railway in Nordrhein-Westfalen. It's only got one side dump, but is rather similar still. I swear I've seen the bigger version as well, but can't find any photos I might have taken of them.

45734513545_807fa48e2b_c.jpg

7 hours ago, JopieK said:

I don't think it is a typical EU design:

https://www.google.nl/search?biw=1489&bih=917&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=XHUzXPaXLYrRwAKruKu4AQ&q=hopper+train&oq=hopper+train&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i5i30l3j0i8i30l5.4071.7623..7953...0.0..0.55.512.12......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0i67.hPU_KnjKJ30

Most hoppers in the EU (at least in The Netherlands) are quite small. The German railroad has larger ones but most are also small AFAIK:

04088024.jpg

Are those side openings doors?  Looks more like #4536 the blue hopper but also like a smaller version of 10117 with a roof.

6 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

I've seen something similar on a meter gauge steam railway in Nordrhein-Westfalen. It's only got one side dump, but is rather similar still. I swear I've seen the bigger version as well, but can't find any photos I might have taken of them.

45734513545_807fa48e2b_c.jpg

That looks more like the one from #60098 to me, but I guess it could be a smaller one door version of #10017.

I’ve not seen anything like it in the UK, although without the side chutes it might pass for a PGA aggregates hopper. UK wagons with side chutes tend to have below the solebar rather than above it as with 10017.

15 hours ago, JopieK said:

...handy for things like track balasting etc.

Of course! That's reminded me of the UK's "autoballaster" (a wagon type that came about by accident):

377-700A JJA Mk2 Auto-Ballaster Generator Unit Railtrack ...

(Not my picture - it's from a UK model shop.) The wagon has a raised solebar and chutes that can unload either side of the rail, so as to dispense ballast exactly where required. The one pictured is fitted with a generator; only one is in each rake, to provide compressed air.

It's even got the same colour scheme as the original set (for those like me who don't remember set numbers):

10017-1.jpg?200106231200

(Again, not my picture; this one's from Brickset.) I'd say despite the different end shape and the obvious chute-above-the-solebar difference, the set could certainly have been inspired by the autoballasters. I think they were around at the right time, in the right livery.

So 10017 is probably an European track ballasting car, which is what I figured.  So someday I will stick mine with a future M.O.W. train when I come up with an engine for it.  Maybe replace the load pieces with round 1x1 plates. 

Wonder if anyone has made that UK autoballaster in Lego? 

Edited by CSW652