Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

In an  undisclosed  location, an eerie sight is to be seen.  The Driftwood Heart is anchored without a sheet of duck on any yard.  Seems the crews are busy ashore mending the sails.  They must be preparing for a fair bit of ..... Well that's another story. 

Driftwood Heart3.lxfDriftwood Heart 1.lxfDriftwood Heart2.lxfDriftwood  overhead.lxf

Comments and Criticism welcomed 

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great looking ship Road Monkey! You must have caught the ship building bug recently! My only criticism is that I would have made the bowsprit just a little bit longer. Other than that, beautiful work!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you build ships so fast :O

In my opinion the second deck starts to far aft. otherwise I like the looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bart and LMBlackBird already pointed out my thoughts, so that's easier for me :D

I really like the tumblehome! That is amazingly done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one. The first pic looks a bit boxy, and perhaps the prow is a bit sharp, but the others look fine. I agree, the bowsprit looks rather short and I wonder if perhaps the masts could be a touch taller as well. But the overall shape is nice and I like the colors in the first few pics especially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Bouarf !! KB out of this body !!! vade retro Roadmonkeytjtanas !!

I abjure you !! demon !

To make you more jealous...  I hadn't but the very center bottom of the ship started when I posted it would be finished in our pm muahhahaha.   .... Sorry I really need to get that evil laugh looked at.

4 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Another great looking ship Road Monkey! You must have caught the ship building bug recently! My only criticism is that I would have made the bowsprit just a little bit longer. Other than that, beautiful work!   

I see that now... I actually forgot the second part of it lol.   Guess I will go back and fix it later lol.  Mainly this was experimenting with some new techniques...  Mainly the snot decking.  

Overall it's more trouble than its worth IMHO lol it's actually the reason I left a few details off the decks because I was just tired of trying to work around ways to attach things symmetric.

But yes I've had some good bit of inspiration over the holidays (as well as time on my hands with days off) 

4 hours ago, Bart said:

How do you build ships so fast :O

In my opinion the second deck starts to far aft. otherwise I like the looks.

Select, Place, Click,  Repeat??? I'm sure I've missed a few steps in there lol.   I actually struggled with the "forecastle" area of the ship the bow to me looks to modern although it's got a great shape...  It was a major compromise for me as I'm still not very happy with it. (I achieved what I sought to do but will do it differently next time lol.)

I had originally planned for the hand railings to curve up into the hull taking away some of the blocky feel but alas my flex tool was acting up and my align tool was just downright scary.  It was literally scattering my whole ship to make connections lol.   

4 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Bart and LMBlackBird already pointed out my thoughts, so that's easier for me :D

I really like the tumblehome! That is amazingly done!

Thank you!  Be sure to read above then lol!  The tumblehome was one of my main goals in this was to play with a shaped hull (without having to look at @Bodi's great references) 

3 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Nice one. The first pic looks a bit boxy, and perhaps the prow is a bit sharp, but the others look fine. I agree, the bowsprit looks rather short and I wonder if perhaps the masts could be a touch taller as well. But the overall shape is nice and I like the colors in the first few pics especially.

Taller .... O.O ... I thought they were pushing too tall so I dropped a yard and shortened them lol maybe I should add them back lol.  It's strange that the shadows make it take on different colors  but I wanted an "old wood" feel to the ship almost ghost like but a real ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Really neat. The shorter bowsprit makes for an older looking ship. Overall, it's very tidy. Like it.

Glad you like it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it!  Stop making me re-start my LDD ship every time at look at your latest one.

:sweet:

That's a nice build RoadmonkeyTJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very nice ship! You've done a great job of evenly destributing the curvature of the ship (perhaps with exeption for the bow which is a bait too acute), and the slope hull technique is working out fine for you! Adding to that you have added a good amount of details and decoration, particularly on the sterncastle!

I agree with Bart that the bow is a bit too long in proportion to the ship. In part in think that this due to the ship itself being a bit short for a two-decked vessel.

Captain Dee is right that the mast are too short. The main mast should be just a bit taller than the length of the ship, and the other just about the length. It's a common problem that I've seen most people doing. Masts on sailing ships seem ridiculously tall, but one must remember that the sails had to pick up enough wind to push the entire ship, and that requires a lot of power. I also think you should move away from using the prefab rigging, they are limiting by being so short.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, Flavius Gratian said:

A very nice ship! You've done a great job of evenly destributing the curvature of the ship (perhaps with exeption for the bow which is a bait too acute), and the slope hull technique is working out fine for you! Adding to that you have added a good amount of details and decoration, particularly on the sterncastle!

I agree with Bart that the bow is a bit too long in proportion to the ship. In part in think that this due to the ship itself being a bit short for a two-decked vessel.

Captain Dee is right that the mast are too short. The main mast should be just a bit taller than the length of the ship, and the other just about the length. It's a common problem that I've seen most people doing. Masts on sailing ships seem ridiculously tall, but one must remember that the sails had to pick up enough wind to push the entire ship, and that requires a lot of power. I also think you should move away from using the prefab rigging, they are limiting by being so short.

 

Thank you... All good notes!  

For some reason I find the stern easier to work on than the bow lol.   As far as masts should I be adding another offset to the mast creating 4 with the 4th just being for flags?   

I really like the curved hull it even has interior but I need to attach the weather deck to the lower instead of the walls lol 

The last four ships I build used custom rigging either by flex tubes or the studded string I like the look of the prefab but I agree on the lengths lol I didn't go the string method this time because I was on a time crunch and setting all the angles is very time consuming....  

On 1/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, Kwatchi said:

Dang it!  Stop making me re-start my LDD ship every time at look at your latest one.

:sweet:

That's a nice build RoadmonkeyTJ

Don't restart just set it aside and build another...  I have three hulls right now like that lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice build Roadmonkey! I like the colouring, it's a very good 'pirate' version of one of the other class 10s we've seen. 

I'm not sure I like the bow, it feels incomplete. 

I also think she could use a story or some crew. She's quite a big ship for the Sea Rats, so I'd like to know how they got her. 

All in all though, excellent build, and excellent work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Thank you... All good notes!  

For some reason I find the stern easier to work on than the bow lol.   As far as masts should I be adding another offset to the mast creating 4 with the 4th just being for flags?   

I really like the curved hull it even has interior but I need to attach the weather deck to the lower instead of the walls lol 

The last four ships I build used custom rigging either by flex tubes or the studded string I like the look of the prefab but I agree on the lengths lol I didn't go the string method this time because I was on a time crunch and setting all the angles is very time consuming....  

Your welcome!

For me it's actually the opposite, I find it diffucult to make a natural looking transition. For ships during this period, ca 1600-1820, masts would only have three parts. So I would suggest making all part taller, particularly the topmast which should fit both topsails and the flag. I noticed on second viewing that the masts have quite a few spars. That is closer to mid 19th century ships, which used many small sails, whereas ships in the BoBS era never had more than three large sails. That's not critique; choose whatever style you like better!

Having an interior is really impressive, I never manage that on my ships. They're only meant to be viewed from the outside. I, too, rarely attach the decks accurately, but cheat a little.

I know what you mean. Rigging is the worst part of LDD ship building, takes forever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Your welcome!

For me it's actually the opposite, I find it diffucult to make a natural looking transition. For ships during this period, ca 1600-1820, masts would only have three parts. So I would suggest making all part taller, particularly the topmast which should fit both topsails and the flag. I noticed on second viewing that the masts have quite a few spars. That is closer to mid 19th century ships, which used many small sails, whereas ships in the BoBS era never had more than three large sails. That's not critique; choose whatever style you like better!

Having an interior is really impressive, I never manage that on my ships. They're only meant to be viewed from the outside. I, too, rarely attach the decks accurately, but cheat a little.

I know what you mean. Rigging is the worst part of LDD ship building, takes forever!

Again great tips!  Thank you. 

I usually add cannons to all decks even if not shown. Admittedly I did not add them to the lowest on this as you could not see them as none of the hatches are open so to save brick count I left them out.   

Also I rarely include any cabin interior other than the floor.  I find the scale is really too far or supports are in the way.   Although I've built cabin scenes to look like the ships cabin where I can massage the scale a little. 

But yes 'simple string rigging" that would take 5 min in real brick takes an hour or more in LDD frustrating.  Especially since I usually rig last and by that time I have enough angles that my graphics driver hates me and the align tool simply crashes LDD so I do it all by myself trial and error. 

11 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Very nice build Roadmonkey! I like the colouring, it's a very good 'pirate' version of one of the other class 10s we've seen. 

I'm not sure I like the bow, it feels incomplete. 

I also think she could use a story or some crew. She's quite a big ship for the Sea Rats, so I'd like to know how they got her. 

All in all though, excellent build, and excellent work. 

Well for now we will leave "the story" a mystery just like her location. Depending on the MCRA outcome you may get some back story to her. 

Thanks for your comments!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.