oracid

Brick compatible Kame Quadruped Robot

In this new video, you can see my last quadruped with little Lego compatible servos.

This quadruped is based on an Arduino Nano controller. I have written a very simple program to test any walker kinematic.

All informations on the description, but don't hesitate to ask for information.

Hope you like it.

Awesome walker, it would not be possible to build it this small with Lego motors. I sometimes wish we could get micro servos for the EV3 unit, it would help keep the builds smaller. 

Hi Oracid.

Great design and great video! I appreciate that you reveal most of the construction details and also the program. The latter seems to be pretty compact and nicely structured. You have done a perfect job!

I have also bought these Chinese servos, built a small robot controlled by Arduino and I must say they are definitly worth a purchase. Now, after seeing your walker, I regret to have only 4 of them.

In your video, I just miss one detail: How did you mount Lego components to the bottom side of the servo?

Edited by Jonas

5 hours ago, Jonas said:

In your video, I just miss one detail: How did you mount Lego components to the bottom side of the servo?

Thank you everybody.

On the back side of the servo there is 2 pin holes. One is for the black pin(2780) or grey pin(3673) and the other for the blue pin(4274). You can too put a stud plate(2x3).

Tell me if I have not understood your question.

At left, it is the axle pin 3749, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=699#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

At right, it is the pin 3673 with a 3 holes beam, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3673&name=Technic, Pin without Friction Ridges Lengthwise&category=[Technic, Pin]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

At right, the yellow part is a home made spacer, because this servo is not exactly Lego compatible in XYZ dimensions. You can use paper board or nothing if you are not very demanding.

Don't you see the hole in the back face of the servo ? Please do it and show me.

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask again and again.

Just now, oracid said:

Don't you see the hole in the back face of the servo ? Please do it and show me.

Sorry and again sorry.

Even if I have had the servo at home and used it in several modules (as shown in the picture), I NEVER noticed the hole and did not realize its potential.   

robot.JPG.eabebe68b1f322659561db0a7f016477.JPG

4 hours ago, Jonas said:

I NEVER noticed the hole and did not realize its potential.

Very happy you find it !

This looks good ! I hope you will make a topic of this.

What is this card ? I am very interesting of it.

The robot is almost completed. Unfortunately, I am slow in building because of little free time.

The control unit is Arduino Uno + my own shield containing 2 control buttons, 4 potentiometers, etc. The robot can be controlled manually (through the pots) or by a program. I hope I will find time to make a video.

Anyway, this is your thread. Let us speak about your amazing Walker.

@oracid Reading the code, it looks very clean for controlling 8 servos and the comments are very helpful. I don't know the language and I can still understand quite a bit of it.

Do you write code outside of this hobby? 

2 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Do you write code outside of this hobby? 

I have to admit it was my job, over 30 years ago. Today, I am retired. Programming, for me, is something terrifying. My mind is so focused on my program, day and night, that nothing exists.

This may seem surprising, but even my relationships with others are affected.