danth

Lego Movie 2 Space Set (70821 and 70841) Alt builds & Multibuilds

I just wanted to share some things I built using 1-2 copies of the new Lego Movie sets with Classic Space pieces. I think it's neat to show what can be done with just a couple copies of these sets. They're good parts packs in my opinion.

FYI using only parts from multiple copies of one set to build something is called a "multibuild". What I've done here is mix both of the new sets in some cases which is maybe not a true multibuild but I think it makes sense to mix the two Classic Space sets. 

The first thing I tried was a simple alt build of Emmet and Benny's Fixit Shop (70821). Nothing special but sorta fun:

RocketFuelTransport2

Then I set a goal to recreate some older sets, or at least see how close I could get to the original. The first I tried was Mobile Rocket Transport. I used only two copies of 70821. The parts were perfect to get a very similar look to the original.

Mobile Rocket Transport

I thought I could improve the rocket and crew a bit by adding one copy of Benny's Space Squad to the above. I was able to add a removable satellite to the rocket like the original and make a better looking (IMO) radar dish.

Minor update

Next up is Space Supply Station. I used two copies each of 70821 and 70841. Obviously the color scheme is 1978 space not 1983 space but I don't care about that. I tried to recreate the double windscreen, double radar dish, double space scooters, and two rovers. 

Space Supply Station redux using 70821 and 70841

I have one other old set I want to try to recreate if I can get around to it.

Anyone else have alt builds or multibuilds of these sets?

Edited by danth

On 1/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, CommanderGrimm said:

Awesome! I've been thinking of doing something like this; hopefully Lego will bring out more Classic Space style sets soon!

Thanks, you and me both! If you end up doing any space builds, I hope you post them here. :)

20 hours ago, Moriboe said:

Really cool, makes me want to buy new space sets :)

Thanks. Yeah these sets are worthy of buying in multiples.

I have one more of these builds in the works... I hope to post it soon!

@danth These are fantastic!

You know.  I would be happy if Classic Space returned as a small evergreen line, with just 2 or 3 small sets ($15 or less) each year.  BUT!!!  Have each set designed (with instructions) such that multiples of each one and/or different ones could be rebuilt (in different configurations) into something larger like what you did.  I would really really be happy with that.

That way, I think 1) the financial footprint of Classic Space would be small enough for TLG to consider it as low risk, 2) it would satisfy a segment of the AFOL population, and 3) it would allow for those who want the larger set experience to purchase them indirectly through purchasing multiples of the small sets to create larger ones designed by TLG.

1 hour ago, pombe said:

@danth These are fantastic!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pombe said:

You know.  I would be happy if Classic Space returned as a small evergreen line, with just 2 or 3 small sets ($15 or less) each year.  BUT!!!  Have each set designed (with instructions) such that multiples of each one and/or different ones could be rebuilt (in different configurations) into something larger like what you did.  I would really really be happy with that.

That way, I think 1) the financial footprint of Classic Space would be small enough for TLG to consider it as low risk, 2) it would satisfy a segment of the AFOL population, and 3) it would allow for those who want the larger set experience to purchase them indirectly through purchasing multiples of the small sets to create larger ones designed by TLG.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Everyone say it with me:

SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SETS.

:tongue:

That would satisfy all your requirements I think. 

Just now, danth said:

Okay then... SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SETS! :devil_laugh:

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Okay then... SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SETS! :devil_laugh:

:wink:

Well, here's my last entry into this effort. This required 3 copies of both new Benny sets. I give you the Starfleet Voyager.

Starfleet Voyager Redux

I think I was able to recreate all the necessary features of the original.

6929-1.jpg

I used the printed cheese-slopes in place of the computers.

StarfleetVoyagerTools

Load 'er up!

StarfleetVoyagerLoading

One thing I will complain about is how shallow the big gray "spaceship starter" pieces are. You would need to build your windscreen 3 bricks tall at least to get your pilot fully enclosed. 

Edited by danth

Wow well done, it beats the original! Very charming and looks like a lot of fun to build :)

Why have I stumbled upon this just after ordering one of those. Well, will keep that in mind to snatch couple more during their lifecycle! :)

That's just great to see what can be done with a set deemed as 4+ Juniors, still.

Very nice concept, and I will certainly look out for this set on Sale.

Edited by TeriXeri

18 hours ago, danth said:

You may have said it before, but I think it bears repeating (hopefully no actual bears were harmed during the repetition).

Great job on the Starfleet Voyager!

I've picked up two of the Juniors sets (thinking of grabbing more...but I want to wait until they release more wave 2 information in case there's more Classic Space goodness up ahead), but I only bother opening the Benny half of the set.  I have two Emmet halves unopened.  :look:  I am trying to think of a way to use that large printed panel for other sci-fi projects, but even using multiples of those panels won't compare with a simple greebled wall for a sci-fi interior.

11 hours ago, danth said:

:wink:

Well, here's my last entry into this effort. This required 3 copies of both new Benny sets. I give you the Starfleet Voyager.

Starfleet Voyager Redux

Thats what Lego should do! Great build :thumbup:

These are fantastic. It would be fun to try and combine them with the Benny's Spaceship set as well.

That is an amazing effort, but at 3 times the two sets, that is awefully close to a new in box spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP!!

These are really awesome, especially considering that they're made entirely using parts from 2 sets (even if it's multiple copies of said sets).  I'm actually going to be getting Benny & Emmet's Build & Repair set to use for this heavy modification of the Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship!  set from the first LEGO movie that I've had in mind for quite some time now.