Capn Frank

Kings Port Advertiser (Vol 4, Special Issue) January 619

Kings Port Advertiser and Ship List

New Terra’s independent source for shipping news.

January 619. Vol 4, Special Issue

Earthquake Devastates 'Grand' City!

Astute observers of developments in the Brick Seas would have noticed the grandiose announcements this month by the Corrie Trade Company the WTC announcing the settlement of Mesabi Landing having achieved 'Grand City' status. Well, it would seem the Gods object to the hubris of this so-called 'Grand City', with reports being received here in Kings Port of a huge earthquake and resulting Tsunami devastating the settlement soon after the announcement.

While information is still unclear, geologists consulted by the KPA believe a large earthquake occurred with an epicenter in the ocean somewhere between the Corlander island of Celestia and the Eslandolan Isle de Victoria. Our correspondents in Trador reported very large waves hitting the port, although damage was recorded as minimal. Not so in Mesabi Landing, where its location on the east coast of Argentia resulted in extensive destruction. Reports from the scene mentioned that it seemed poor quality workmanship and cost-cutting by the WTC seem to have made the bad situation even worse. Canny merchants will no doubt be avoiding the settlement this trading season as rumors are abundant that many consumable goods have been wiped out.

Will Mesabi Landing recover? Only time will tell...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC:

After the announcement of the 'Grand City' EGS status of Mesabi Landing, the court has received a significantly large number of complaints from right across the player base both publicly and via PM. These communications have all expressed concern over the lack of quality in a considerable number of the builds in the settlement. The court has reviewed the settlements builds and shares the concerns of these players. Previously quality concerns have been raised privately and the court has asked for adjustments for some properties. Despite this, overall the court has found that the settlements development has not been within the intended spirit of the game. The EGS rules are very clear in stating: "leadership reserves the right to reject any poor quality or undersized MOCs." Because we wish to be fair to Mesabi Landing, we have decided not to outright reject any particular MOC and separate feedback will be provided via other means if welcome/requested. However; so that the EGS remains fair for all EGS participants and to show we are serious regarding putting building quality over quantity and settlement development, the court has unanimously decided on the following ruling:

- Development in Mesabi Landing will be temporarily frozen (no new properties can be licensed) and the trade value of the settlement will be decreased by 20 percent until the following conditions have been met.

minimum 5 builds and minimum 5000 studs, 2 builds/2000 studs from mesabi, the rest from others, and min. 1 build and min. 1000 studs from mesabi approved before he can license freely again.

1. A total of 5 MOCs must be produced showing recovery efforts in the settlement. The combined total footprint of these MOCs must exceed 5,000 studs (approx. 6 32x32 builds) and will not be licensable under EGS rules. Each of these MOCs must be of considerable effort in terms of quality and story and will require approval from leadership in the same way a Royal property requires leadership approval. (ie each build will be discussed in court and a majority decision on approval will be made). WIPs of these builds are strongly encouraged to be posted so that all players may have the opportunity to provide constructive feedback before court approval is sought. If a build submitted to court is not approved, feedback will be provided and there will be an opportunity for modification and re-submission. Any player may assist Mesabi Landing with this requirement, although a minimum of 2 of these scenes must be from Mesabi.

2. Three MRCA turns or four calendar months (1st May) have passed (whichever occurs first).

3. Once the above requirements have been met, the settlement will be re-built, and others can license freely at the settlement.
Mesabi must build a third MOC with a minimum of 1,000 studs of considerable quality before he is able to license freely again.

ALL: This measure has been carefully deliberated by the court and is final.  Questions regarding any specific detail are welcome but no discussion will be entered into regarding the overturning or modification of this decision.

Please remember this is a friendly building community. We are all here for different reasons and have different strategies in the way we play. That said the game will always wish to promote a community where positive and constructive feedback is encouraged. Please remember to keep criticism constructive and conversely accept constructive criticism in the way in which it is meant - to help you improve your builds and thus enjoyment in your hobby.

8 minutes ago, Phred said:

the court has received a significantly large number of complaints from right across the player base both publicly and via PM. These communications have all expressed concern over the lack of quality in a considerable number of the builds in the settlement.

Funny how none of these have reached any of the builders responsible for those builds. And I thought this was a community of adults, able to stand up for their opinions...

8 minutes ago, Phred said:

Please remember this is a friendly building community.

Obviously not friendly enough to be honest and open. This backstabbing via the court is quite asinine.

Lessens learnt. Some people here should really be ashamed. :thumbdown:

Just now, Drunknok said:

Funny how none of these have reached any of the builders responsible for those builds.

My understanding is that another builder was notified before this was published.

3 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Funny how none of these have reached any of the builders responsible for those builds.

I am not sure how blatant people have to be when recommending that builds of Mesabi Landing be of better quality.  Continued low quality or decreased quality of builds after such comments were made would eventually have consequences. 

5 minutes ago, Phred said:

I am not sure how blatant people have to be when recommending that builds of Mesabi Landing be of better quality.  Continued low quality or decreased quality of builds after such comments were made would eventually have consequences. 

See our PM conversation. I am not willing to take responsibility for somebody elses builds, and I have not received comments about "low quality" concerning mine. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Edited by Drunknok

1 minute ago, Drunknok said:

I am not willing to take responsibility for somebody elses builds, and I have not received comments about "low quality". Feel free to prove me wrong.

Mesabi is required to perform a majority of the repairs of the settlement.  You are not on the hook for Mesabi's build quality. I should not have lumped you two together. I apologize for not communicating that clearly.  You were informed ahead of time namely because such a large portion of your builds are a part of Mesabi's Landing. 

@Phred A couple of quick questions.

Is it "6 and only 6" builds, or is that a minimum?

Likewise, must each build be ~32x32, or can they be significantly smaller/larger as long as it meets the minimum total area of 6k+?

Also on that thought, Mesabi is required to build 4 of the 6. Any total minimum size? Does this:

16 minutes ago, Phred said:

Mesabi is required to perform a majority of the repairs of the settlement.

...mean that he has to build 3000+ studs, or just a minimum of 4 builds?

(Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to help out.)

@Phred What part of, 

I have enough in my life going on at the moment. My living situation is about to change, and I will not be able to build until mid february probably. 

For that reason, I humbly ask that you hold off on any events until I am resituated. I will keep you informed on the matter.

-Mesabi

do you not understand? I have plenty in my life going on at the moment, and I'm about to move. I asked you to hold off on this, because I am about to move. I can't do 4 builds, Because I'm about to move. 

40 minutes ago, Phred said:

Mesabi is required to perform a majority of the repairs of the settlement.  [ @Drunknok ] are not on the hook for Mesabi's build quality.

So, my settlement is just out of whack then? I can't build, because I am currently putting all my things into boxes, and moving. I asked you to hold this off until I moved, because I'm a lame duck in this game at the moment. 

I'm fine with this event. I think it will be an interesting story to tell, and I appreciate the creativity that went into this. But I cannot do anything about this because I am moving. This should have been postponed. 

Dear everyone,

The court has made its decision and any preceding events, grievances, or issues in this regard are considered closed by the court. There is no reason to point fingers neither direction.

Now, we all turn to the natural disaster, an IC event.

Sincerely,

Bregir

@Elostirion my life literally fell apart 3 days ago. 3 is less than 5, right? But, oh it doesn't matter, because I'm just some guy on the internet who isn't good at lego. 

@Bregir As you wish. You can expect my builds in february, when I have moved. 

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

As you wish. You can expect my builds in february, when I have moved.

Mesabi...  I can understand the anger.  It's a game...  You have real life issues you need to address that fixing a make believe settlement on the internet won't fix.   

I have no doubt that once you get settled you will come up with a great relief effort story.   I can tell you I've really enjoyed creating the story with Charlatan Bay ... And another player got inspired by it and it's become even better story.  

I might suggest downloading LDD or Stud.io I'm sure you've noticed I haven't built any physical builds in a couple months...  I have my collection put away currently and physically builds for my Lug take any priority currently.  

Don't look at this as a set back look at it as a story development no different than a Bad MCRA result.   You haven't lost anything builds aren't deleted.   You need 4 before natural growth takes over again.   

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

I'm just some guy on the internet who isn't good at lego. 

I really don't understand this comment.  There is no such thing as Bad at Lego.   It's about imagination and creation.  You have the ability, you have the drive,  so take time to think out your details...  Don't just build because you need to build something for egs put time into it. 

On 1/5/2019 at 4:43 PM, Mesabi said:

do you not understand? I have plenty in my life going on at the moment, and I'm about to move. I asked you to hold off on this, because I am about to move. I can't do 4 builds, Because I'm about to move. 

The earliest the settlement could be reinstated for further construction is 3 MRCAs or May.  I agree that completing 4 builds is too much, which is why I told you is should be decreased. After discussing with the court, we came up with the following update.  

Rules Update:

5 builds are required, minimum 5,000 studs, and 2 of those builds must come from Mesabi. 
Once the above requirements have been met, the settlement will be re-built, and others can license freely at the settlement.
Mesabi must build a third MOC with a minimum of 1,000 studs of considerable quality before he is able to license freely again.

@Mesabi, Creating 2 builds to rebuild your settlement should be more reasonable if you are done moving after February.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:15 PM, Captain Dee said:

Is it "6 and only 6" builds, or is that a minimum?

Likewise, must each build be ~32x32, or can they be significantly smaller/larger as long as it meets the minimum total area of 6k+?

Now it is 5 builds, but 5 builds are the minimum, and the footprint for each build can be any size as long as the total footprint is 5,000 studs.  

KPA Special Bulletin: Mesabi Landing rebuilt!
After being wrecked by a tsumani in January, the WTC has put efforts into rebuilding and stepped up the quality of construction and materials being used. The streets and the port has been cleared and the settlement can now again accept investments and settlers. Its markets have been reopened, and trade is once more starting to flourish. Only time will tell if the WTC will fall back into old habits, but perhaps there is hope for the rogue TC?

OOC: Having reviewed the builds and Mesabi's situation, the court has decided that sufficient commitment to quality has been displayed. The builds have shown that Mesabi is capable and willing to listen to feedback, and have been of good quality. The court applauds Mesabi and other contributing builders for their efforts and results, and accepts that it is not feasible, due to RL circumstances, to play it to end.

Hence, we have decided to relieve all restrictions imposed on Mesabi and Mesabi landing by the tsunami(The city can be considered largely rebuilt and new properties can now be licensed), with the expectation that a reasonable quality will be upheld. (NB: This goes for anyone anywhere: Since this is to some degree a competitive game, the court always maintains the right to step in if anyone is considered "gaming" BoBS with subpar builds)

@Mesabi @Drunknok

In an effort to clear up the pinned topics on the main page... does this still need to be pinned if the situation has been rectified? Just a suggestion...

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

In an effort to clear up the pinned topics on the main page... does this still need to be pinned if the situation has been rectified? Just a suggestion...

@Phred

CAn you unpin this? :)