Sign in to follow this  
MegaRoi

[TC15] Just Another Plane - JAP19

Hi all,

I haven't been active in this forum for a while, although I'be been reading along all the time, but now, the contest fever has caught  me again!

I was separated from my Lego collection for almost a year and I finally wanted to start building something. So Jim's suggestion for a new EB contest came just at the right time.  Without knowing the theme in more details, I've putted a small plane together.

Fokker DR3:
Tc15p1.jpeg

Tc15p2.jpeg
Even if I like this build, it would be much too simple for an EB contest, so something more complex in a similar size should be it. 

Having read and pondered a lot about Lego aircraft control, I came across this promising concept:
Tc15p3.jpeg
You can see the joystick for height and lateral control in a very compact case. In addition, fake R4 engine is installed.
But somehow I don't like the shape of the shell too much and the chassis is still missing.

Meanwhile, the theme of TC15 was also known: build something flying, preferably an airplane.
Quiet quick some several MOC heavyweights with promising ideas had signed in, so it was clear that I needed to build something different than this simple model.

Incidentally, I stumbled upon the Zveno Project - impressive!
That's the way it should be! With biplanes based on my DR3!
What a fail!
Tc15p4.jpeg

Tc15p5.jpeg

Tc15p6.jpeg
The plan was to have a PF engine and a simple gearbox for four Fake R6 engines, the landing gear and a flap for cargo.

I also built a 3D Joystick, similar to the one from Rudivdk, but with more space consumption.
Tc15p7.jpeg

But what an ugly and useless piece. From the idea perhaps feasible, the stability could have been done, but the playability? Impossible with such a colossus, few functions and the simple flyers.
So back to my little plane? My 3D Joystick won't fit in. 

So I started playing around with several ideas, but none satisfied me ...
Tc15p8.jpeg

Tc15p9.jpeg

While I was thinking about controlling Lego aircrafts and their playability, I got the final idea for my contest entry.
At first it was just a little scribble, but the idea quickly took shape. 
The first obstacle, I have to lead three axes through a turntable. Is that possible?
Yes, it is! This EB Topic shows how - well, almost.

And this will be the heart piece of my entry: three axles through one turntable.
Tc15001.jpeg

This is still an early WIP, But I hope for quick progress and there is still some time left. So I still hope I can make it.
Tc15002.jpeg

What a gorgeous contest! I'm almost having the time of my life with Lego!
Thank you very much for creating this contest, @Jim and @Milan.

Meanwhile I will go ahead ...
Tc15p0.jpeg

Thanks for your attention,
Robert

Edited by MegaRoi
Finally found an entry

Thanks for the name check but you mean @Rudivdk for the 3 way control stick. I haven’t worked out my controls yet.

I’m curious as to what all your gears through the turntable are for.

Sorry, you're right - my mistake. I was just too lazy to check if I remembered the developer of the 3D stick right. Should be corrected.

I still hope that I can bring this MOC to an end. I need more gears ...

Edited by MegaRoi

I like the DR3; very nice how you managed to get the functions in such a compact design.

Curious to see what your new idea will bring.

Little progress:

Tc15003.jpeg

So now it's obvious, that it will become some kind of a stand, but I don't have a name for it yet.

You can also watch a short video of the functionality, but it won't show much:

https://bricksafe.com/files/MegaRoi/tc15/Tc15v01.MOV

@m00se, the DR3 has almost no functionality, only the propeller will rotate if you push the model. The plane with the joystick is a different (unfinished) one. I will come back to both MOCs once TC15 is over.

I'm really late, my deadline will come in two weeks ... 

Next step will be a proof of concept.

Edited by MegaRoi

On 1/6/2019 at 6:31 PM, MegaRoi said:

@m00se, the DR3 has almost no functionality, only the propeller will rotate if you push the model. The plane with the joystick is a different (unfinished) one. I will come back to both MOCs once TC15 is over.

That's the one I meant, sorry.

Regarding the stand: impressive!

You had really interesting way to find idea for your contest model. And I like your initial Fokker very much. It is so small, simple and cute. Good luck with your final idea.

Wow, i'm really late ...

To make a long story short: I failed!

I ran into a major design failure and the remaining time was too short to solve it. While I was really busy over the last few weeks, i couldn't give you any updates. But today I found some time to create some photos. 

My entry should have been this box:

Tc15004.jpeg

Don't be irritated by the colors. While I canceled this project for TC15, it's just a prototype.

Tc15005.jpeg

Beside two BB's, this box contains two IR receivers, three L motors and one M.

Tc15006.jpeg

And this was planned:

Tc15007.jpeg

A 3D Flight simulator!

The L motors should simulate aileron, elevation and rudder, and the M should have driven the propeller.

It's still an early prototype and abandoned, so nothing is connected proper, nor well balanced.

But, ... it doesn't work.

I had this beast running and I found out, that my major failure was, that the axles are NOT rotating independent. So because of the deadline for this contest l decided to not follow this project for TC15.

But meanwhile I turned back to an earlier concept for TC15, which I still can present today ...

I really like this idea, but I can imagine it does indeed come with a lot of challenges like axle independence and weight balancing.

I think I will try to realize the simulator some time, but meanwhile almost two weeks ago I decided to step back to an earlier showed concept.

Just Another Plane 2019

Tc151.jpeg

• 2D joystick
  • realistic movement of ailerons and elevation
  • manual rudder
  • rotating propeller, driven by the landing gear
  • imitaded radial engine
  • Grandpa is flying this baby

Tc152.jpeg

I added some white stripes to get a better line.

And how the movements work:

Tc153.jpeg

I still forgot to change that blue pin, damn!

To complete my entry, I still need a video and only a few hours left ...

1 hour ago, MegaRoi said:

To make a long story short: I failed!

Depends on how you look at it! I'd say: you took on a really challenging and cool project, and while you didn't manage yet (and can't enter this for TC15), you learned some new things. That's not failure, that's part of the learning process. :)

1 hour ago, MegaRoi said:

I had this beast running and I found out, that my major failure was, that the axles are NOT rotating independent.

As far as I know, this can't be solved. If yo udrive an axle through a turntable, then driving the turntable will have effect on that axle. You can minimzie the effect by gearing-up the axle before it goes through the turntable, and gear-down afterwards, but that only makes the effect less; it will not completely go away. I think the only way to curvument it, is to place the motor above the turntable. But they, you have the motor cable to deal with...

Just now, MegaRoi said:

meanwhile almost two weeks ago I decided to step back to an earlier showed concept.

Actually, I think it's a very likeable little plane. It's perfectly withni the spirit of TC15, and I really like the looks. Good paneling and the black-and-white works well. Also, seeing the list of functions, it seems to be rather functional. I'm not sure about the minifigure-out-of-bricks, but that's a matter of taste :)

Good job, and I'm looking forward to the video.

The small plane would make a great official set in my opinion. Relatively simple but with interesting functions and a reasonable part count.

I really like your little aircraft especially that little red triplane. Very Red Baron.

@Erik Leppen Yes, I've learned a lot! It was the first time I was working with knob gears or stepped further into aircraft controls. Beyond the fun in building I found a new project. I'm pretty confident that the axle through a turntable problem could be solved in a mechanical way. So I will proceed with this one later and maybe with reduced functions, but I still like the idea.

From this point of view this whole contest is pure fun and quite challenging for me.

Thanks for the kind words. Meanwhile I've created another picture for my entry:

Tc15gif2.gif

Still working on the video ...

Edited by MegaRoi

I have another photo:

Tc155.jpeg

And the video is online:

The video has it's flaws, but it was done under timer pressure.

All I need now is to enter ...

I find it both comical and ingenious how you used the driver itself to control the flight surfaces. 

I also love that Simpson's head but feel that the driver needs some more color. Even replacing the arms with blue 2x1's could improve it.

Good luck and great entry!

Epilog:

Today is the day after the deadline for TC15. While I was unable to get some photos until yesterday, I was shure to be the last in line, but the guys are still entering. Cool!

About the minis head, I'm still undecided. At the end, I didn't remove him and he is still there. And he's fine.

However, I found some leftovers:

E01.jpeg

Some prototypes for functions, wings and color schemes.

E02.jpeg

More prototypes, this time for the origin entry concept. And my little helpers:

E03.jpeg

At the end I had real fun entering this contest. I've learned and build a lot. Thanks again for initiating this contest to the EB mods.

2 hours ago, MegaRoi said:

About the minis head, I'm still undecided. At the end, I didn't remove him and he is still there. And he's fine.

Seriously, Grandpa stays.