Sirius91

Monastery Brewery

My entry for CCC From Field to Goblet Category. In Middle Ages Monasterys were important centers of brewing beer. Scene shows beer maturing and a grup of novices catched by abbot ;)

45586974044_b3cbe22dc0_c.jpg

31371407767_4f49876a11_c.jpg

Incredible work! Those arches are great and he build has a very nice scenic feel to it as well.

Can't imagine standing next to those incredibly huge beer barrels. :laugh:

Wow. All this mason bricks. Nice build!

I like this big barrels. Do the tiles hold on a track going around the barrel?

Beautiful build! The "illegal" arches are fantastic, and I have the urge to try the technique myself. Those barrels are really nice too and the depth of the light-tan structure on each side frames the scene well. I think the floor would look better in solid grey though; as-is the small number of dark tan pieces is somewhat distracting and the lone grey palisade piece looks a bit out of place. But that small quibble aside, very nice build. :thumbup:

Thanks for all your comments.

4 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

Do the tiles hold on a track going around the barrel?

There is a frame inside the barrel, made of brick modified 1x1 with studs on 4 sides (4733) and brick round 1x1 and plate round 1x1. It holds the tiles.  "Truck technique" sounds even better but when I think now but I didn't figure out it when I was builiding. But you remind me I was testing this technique when I was trying to build a light-saber hilt.

3 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Great build and very neat arch solution.

I like this arches too but it was trying my patience because they are also very fragile.

1 hour ago, Captain Dee said:

I think the floor would look better in solid grey though; as-is the small number of dark tan pieces is somewhat distracting and the lone grey palisade piece looks a bit out of place. But that small quibble aside, very nice build. :thumbup:

I am sure, I am gonna try with other floor techniques in next MOCs.

Edited by Sirius91

Wow, nice work! I'd be lying if I said I didn't intend to steal that technique at some point! :wink:

That's a formidable MOC, Sirius91! :oh:

The most I like the big barrels and the table in the middle with all the food and other details on it and the very well fitting face expressions of the monks.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:43 PM, Sirius91 said:

There is a frame inside the barrel, made of brick modified 1x1 with studs on 4 sides (4733) and brick round 1x1 and plate round 1x1. It holds the tiles.  "Truck technique" sounds even better but when I think now but I didn't figure out it when I was builiding. But you remind me I was testing this technique when I was trying to build a light-saber hilt.

Perhaps it's only me, but although you described it quite well, it's a bit hard to imagine only from ready your description. Can you please post a picture from a barrel opened so we can see the technic? That would be quite nice since I planned to do build an old inn with a cellar with big barrels like yours. It will take some time. But when I'll show it here, I of course will mention that the building technic for the big barrels comes from you.

This is very well done the monk cowering behind the rack is my favorite.  The barrels are fantastic...  I think I understand how they are done from your description...  Just stack the modified bricks and rotate to the next angle correct? 

The floor is well done the "cracks" really make it feel old...  The green in the floor isn't bad but the tan in the floor my mind doesn't process and puts it out of place (I think because the Walls are tan) 

You mentioned the archway is fragile...  Does it hold up to transit or is it a redo every move? 

Great job with the loosely attached bricks for the arches!  The massive barrels are well done too!

That is a wonderful build. The 'brick' bricks give the build a nice structure and the arch's worked out perfectly. :thumbup: 

Fantastic work! I especially like the little details like the pattern of the bricks, the vegetables hiding in a barrel in the background, and the yellow wedge pieces to act as cheese. The idea is also really awesome as well (monks did often run breweries and made cheese and such).

3 hours ago, Saint_Miroku said:

Fantastic work! I especially like the little details like the pattern of the bricks, the vegetables hiding in a barrel in the background, and the yellow wedge pieces to act as cheese. The idea is also really awesome as well (monks did often run breweries and made cheese and such).

The „vegetables“ will be hops I think. Albeit I agree totally - a wonderful scene!