Holodoc

Eurobricks event #15 Günzburg - information topic

Hello and (still) happy new year, everybody!

It's 2019 already and we haven't been talking about this year's event. According to our normal schedule, it will be held in lovely Windsor this year! :wub:

EDIT: For a few reasons we are plannig differently this year:

The event will be moved to 11th -14th of April and will be held in Günzburg/Germany once more.
That's one day shorter than what we usually do: Thursday - Sunday.

EDIT: changed the picture from LEGOLAND Windsor to LEGOLAND Germany

lld_15-jahre_mitarbeiter.76.jpg

Tipps-Legoland-Deutschland-sparen.jpg

We had some behind the scenes talking about the date and we finally came to the conclusion to set the dates

12-16th of June. (Wendesday - Sunday)

We do know that this date interferes with Brickworld in Chicago which will beheld exactly at the same time. :look:
So if that is an issue with you and you would like to attend to both dates, please raise your voice here! Experience tells us, that there are just a few people going to both events and we valued other dates of course as well, but these period seemed to fit best.

The core of the event will be Thursday - Saturday. The program isn't fixed yet, but this could include

- visit of Legoland Windsor (almost obligatory)
- visit of LEGO Consumer Services, Slough
- visit of Harry Potter Studios (on public demand :laugh: )
- visit the City of London
- visit Windsor Castle
and of course a lot of fun stuff, like games, contests and so on...

So if you are interested and would like to join and have a special interest in something other might like as well, please tell us here!

We are an open community and the event is what the eventees make out of it. Your input is needed and appreciated! :wub:

Copmike and me are the ones to put all the interests together and knit a nice program out of it. We would love to see a local Englishman/-woman work with us on special issues that are easier manageable from the UK than from abroad.
This may count for the accomodation for example. We had two very friendly and cosy places to stay four and eight years ago. The latter doesn't do hotel any more and the Oakley Court Hotel from last time was considered a bit too expensive from some eventees. :look:  (although I really liked it!!! :tongue:)

So please give feedback here and sign up in the according sign-up topic, which will be opened soon when we are sure about the date!

EDIT: please scroll down to take part in a doodle survey to find a date for the event!

I am, of course, interested in joining. It's far enough in advance that if I get a job soon I should be able to get the time off work. I can help out with finding more affordable accommodation.

I still have to think about this years event. Maybe that will be the first time to cancel for me. 

My husband and I will be un London (Royal Albert Hall) at the end of April and maybe I can convince him for the Harry Potter exhibition (couldn’t watch it in Cologne some years ago :( ) 

I will follow and decide then.  

Cheers Dana 

Myself, @Cecilie, @ace and @Ryushi will be in Chicago attending Brickworld as per usual.

Having done Windsor once before I'm actually okay with missing out :) Enjoy the event everyone!

Best
Markus

The Harry Potter and Slough visits would sell it for the Fenzes although this will come immediately after Parades de Coura the previous weekend. We also have a regular  brick.ie event on Sunday 16th which is Father's Day the management of which we'd need to transfer to some other members. If it was the following week it would be a lot easier for us but we'll aim to be there, with the question remaining whether we have to leave on Saturday or Sunday.

5 hours ago, chubays said:

How much it'll cost in the Oakley Court Hotel?

I haven't checked for this year's prices, but following the provided link should guide you to the hotel's website... :wink:

I'll be attending Brickworld as well. And because that's expensive enough, it will be my only foreign event this year.:look:

5 hours ago, Holodoc said:

I haven't checked for this year's prices, but following the provided link should guide you to the hotel's website... :wink:

May be I've checked smth wrong, but it say no rooms on that dates...

Edited by chubays

What a coincidence in timing! 

@Holodoc

I'll be at Brickworld too...but perhaps we could arrange some sort of EB Skype call between the two collective groups? The Ultimate Eurobricks Convention Crossover event!  

It isn't a bad date for me, but being as I am not a Harry Potter fan, I think I'll give that bit a miss.

Though there are a fair few people who will be at Brickworld who would normally come, more of an overlap than you'd think, so are the dates set in stone?

Oh no!  :distressed:

We would really like to go but that date clashes with other stuff already booked. Also, my son has exams until the 14th so that rules him out even though he'd love the HP studio visit. What a pity, one week later would have been fine but I understand its impossible to suit everyone. :sceptic:

3 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Though there are a fair few people who will be at Brickworld who would normally come, more of an overlap than you'd think, so are the dates set in stone?

That's why I asked everybody to write here if

a) they will be at BW
and/or
b) will not come for another reason.

The dates are not set stone!

So please do the following: I put up a doodle to find out which dates would suit you best. And those who don't want to come anyway (on any date), please also tell us in the doodle (write down your name and don't check anything).
I have proposed the dates from Wednesdays until Sundays. It could also be Saturdays until Wednesdays, but that is not possible in one doodle. Leave a comment for that please.

Thanks! :sweet:

Edit: I hope everybody knows how to doodle... :look:

Question: if more than one date suits, do we check both or just the one that suits best? 

Also, when is the deadline for voting? I'd like to double check the lad's exam schedule just to be sure but I can't do that until Monday.

@Kitty and myself will be back from a four week holiday halfway May and days off are rather limited nowadays. So, I’m afraid we need to pass entirely. We are definitely aiming for Billu d 2020 though.

As an FYI for people, there is a weeks school holiday in the UK from 27th of May to the 31st May. The 27th is a Bank Holiday.

19 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

Question: if more than one date suits, do we check both or just the one that suits best? 

Also, when is the deadline for voting? I'd like to double check the lad's exam schedule just to be sure but I can't do that until Monday.

please check everything that's possible. There's also an option "yes, if need be" for the dates which are not optimal, but still would work.

End of voting - end of week: Sunday, 13th.

3 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

As an FYI for people, there is a weeks school holiday in the UK from 27th of May to the 31st May. The 27th is a Bank Holiday.

Is that a good or bad thing? Sure, the park and all other public places would be more crowded, but if that is the only option we will have at the end of the poll, why not?

I keep that in mind, let's first see how the doodle works out. :wink:

I've Doodled!! :sweet:  I'd love to attend one of these events some day but as a school teacher I'd only be able to go during the school hols so end of May/start of June is my choice!!

Cheers

I’ve been meaning to come along to one of these but I think I’ll save my pennies for Billund in 2020 after enjoying a trip to Lego House during late 2018.

As an Englishman and ex-Southerner (i now live in what I consider to be the north of England) I know London and the surrounding area reasonably well. Although I’ve not been to legoland Windsor or Harry Potter yet (not a massive HP fan to be honest although I’ve read all the books and seen all the films).

London and Windsor is unfortunately always going to be expensive for nice quality hotels/accommodation.

also visiting a few children friendly / oriented places at the end of May during the Bank (Public) Holiday long weekend and week the schools have off will mean these locations are likely to be a lot busier than normal. Also traffic (road), trains (including the Tube) and airports could be manic.

To those of you going, hope you have a great time (I’m sure you will) and enjoy Town (London) and Windsor.

I’ll look out this time next year for Billund 2020.

All the accommodation around the Legoland area would be a lot more expensive during the holiday weekend, wouldn't it?

34 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

What are people's opinions on Travelodge or Holiday Inn? There are a few in the area.

We are currently focusing on Travelodge (Slough or Windsor). But any other idea is welcome, too!