Sign in to follow this  
Redimus

A3 'Humorist' (Unspecific Pacific V3.0)

It's been a long saga, but it's finally done. When I started, I had no specific class, let alone a specific loco in mind, just a generic British pacific loco to go with my Pullmans.

In it's current guise, she's very much based on LNER no.2751 'Humorist', which was picked for two very specific reasons, she was the only A3 to have a double chimney in LNER days, and she had one of the (I feel) more interesting GNR tenders.

Image result for lner a3 humorist

So, here we go:
No photo description available.

Videos: 
At speed: 

Wheelspin!:

Very nice! I really like the flowers for knobs in the cab. I'm going to borrow that idea!

It's begging for some custom decals now. I just used OKBrickworks for my American 4-4-0 and they turned out great.

What's LNER stand for?

PS- the video links didn't work for me. 

I think the flowers for knobs is the one innovation I have given to the Lego train MOC scene, lol.
I very much intend to get prints at some point, there's a few tweaks I want to do first, plus I'm praying Lego do a black version of the curved tile I'm using for nameplates that doesn't have 'Hogwarts Castle' written on it.

LNER stands for London and North Eastern Railway. It was one of the big four railway companies that ran nearly all of British Railways for 25 years between the post WW1 grouping in the early 20s and the post WW2 nationalization of the network in the late 40s. (The other 3 railways were the LMS (London Midland and Scottish Railway), GWR (Great Western Railway) and the Southern Railway.)

A thing of beauty! (though here too the video links did not work for me) The proportions and details all look to be spot on.

Good work! I like the integration of the train motor in the tender, which by the way I agree is nicer to look at than the interesting-concept-but-slab-sided corridor tenders. The firebox and complex running board shaping is also done well. Ultimately, everything I'd expect to be represented is there, plus more on the side. A very neat job, I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's been decorated!

Side-note: the videos are fine for me, and show off the model well. For those having trouble, it's probably because they're hosted on Facebook.

5 hours ago, Redimus said:

plus I'm praying Lego do a black version of the curved tile I'm using for nameplates that doesn't have 'Hogwarts Castle' written on it.

You could always sticker over the Hogwarts, if you're doing custom decals anyway.... 

1 hour ago, mostlytechnic said:

You could always sticker over the Hogwarts, if you're doing custom decals anyway.... 

I try and steer clear of parts I know will have a premium charged on them, and those definitely will be more expensive than none marked ones.

Very lovely engine, the proportions and all the details look great! However I do think the front section is a bit too long.

Really like the tender you chose, did try my hands on this tender as well, I used a different way to attach the grill tiles though.

The powering seems great, the slipping really is top notch!

Yeah, the front wants some attention, the more I look at it, the more out of place it looks. I'm also toying with finding something to replace the 4x4 dish, because it's just not big enough for the A3s (and 6x6 is too big).

How'd you hide the clips on your tender? It never ocoured to me to use the 1x1 curved corner peices.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:09 PM, Redimus said:

Yeah, the front wants some attention, the more I look at it, the more out of place it looks. I'm also toying with finding something to replace the 4x4 dish, because it's just not big enough for the A3s (and 6x6 is too big).

How'd you hide the clips on your tender? It never ocoured to me to use the 1x1 curved corner peices.

Hmm, sadly I don't think there's anything slightly bigger than the 4x4 round dish for the smokebox door :sad:

It might not be too easy to see, but I used plates with clips facing outwards held together by 2x2 tiles forming the outer wall. :wink:

11 hours ago, ScotNick said:

Hmm, sadly I don't think there's anything slightly bigger than the 4x4 round dish for the smokebox door :sad:

It might not be too easy to see, but I used plates with clips facing outwards held together by 2x2 tiles forming the outer wall. :wink:

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to figure out what you'd done.

I may redo the tender at some point, but right now I don't want to do another sizable order for parts. Also I'm way more interested in replicating the details you've included under the tender's frames if I'm honest.

On a completely unrelated note, someday I'm gonna steal that Terrier of yours! :P

16 hours ago, Redimus said:

[...] Also I'm way more interested in replicating the details you've included under the tender's frames if I'm honest.

On a completely unrelated note, someday I'm gonna steal that Terrier of yours! :P

Hmm, not sure if you really wanna do those tender frames. I myself am still puzzled if the tender frame was the right way to go (I've been building a different engine with this tender frame). Although it does goes through switches and curves without any real problem, the downside is you can't power the engine with the "traditional" train motor AND it does cause a bit (meaning quite some bit) of friction. At least the way I have it right now (the 4 wheels are rigid, they only move sideways but won't turn in curves).

Ohhh nooo. Not the Terrier! :grin::grin: At least you have to build her in a livery she hasn't been built in! :laugh:

Southern green with a 'W' infront of it's number is the only way to model a Terrier, lol.

Although not overly realistic, I kind of like this loc. Simple and yet very nice - good work!

On 1/10/2019 at 11:51 PM, icemorons said:

@Redimus Really nice job!!  What parts did you use for the connecting rods?  Lego, or third party?

@zephyr1934's custom rods. I'd highly recommend his stuff. He has a store on Bricklink, and if he doesn't do exactly what you want on there, you can message him and he'll happily do what you want (I've got an order on the go right now that you can bet will be getting shown off here when they're done).