czbotond

[MOC] 2001 A Space Odyssey

On 1/5/2019 at 10:42 AM, ControlAltBrick said:

I like the colors used and the space stations!

The photo is also cool, what was the light setup for the photos in the album?

Thank you very much! We tried to stay as close to the source material as possible.

I took the photos outside on the terrace; with a cloudy sky (so there was diffuse lighting).

Usually I take my photos of MOCs this way; but if there aren't clouds, I put up a white sheet in the path of the sun, to achieve the diffuse light.

But I'm in the process to set up a normal studio; for that I'll use three DIY softboxes and a desktop lightbox. There are a lot of online refences that can be used.

Edited by czbotond
clarification

Thank you for the details! Yes i recently build a lightbox too, but i just started doing experiments (i'm still more confident with digital renders)

CONGRATULATIONS... featured by LEGO... wow!

11 minutes ago, ControlAltBrick said:

Thank you for the details! Yes i recently build a lightbox too, but i just started doing experiments (i'm still more confident with digital renders)

CONGRATULATIONS... featured by LEGO... wow!

Thank you! It means a great deal to us too!

There are some great tutorials on the net creating&using lightboxes; I'd only add that you need a sturdy tripod, the timer function to further reduce camera shake; and a decent-ish camera&lens is already good (I use a 10 year old Pentax with some cheap zoom, and a few 30-50 year old manual primes). Try not cranking up the ISO too much (it adds noise), set the aperture depending on the type of shot you want (f1.4 - 4 narrow field of depth, f8-11 everything is crisp), set the exposure time according to it (or use aperture priority, let your camera decide, so you don't have over/underexposed areas), and you're all set.

Ty for the details, i forgot to mention i need a new camera :D

A friend given me his coolpix s9300 and a tripod. The camera have a decent zoom but nothing more (it have serious focus problems and no manual aperture/exposure)

Too bad if i think i bought a reflex to my now ex gf for her birthday xD

22 minutes ago, ControlAltBrick said:

Ty for the details, i forgot to mention i need a new camera :D

A friend given me his coolpix s9300 and a tripod. The camera have a decent zoom but nothing more (it have serious focus problems and no manual aperture/exposure)

Too bad if i think i bought a reflex to my now ex gf for her birthday xD

I'm unfamiliar with the point&shoots, so quickly checked dpreview for a description; that wasn't what I had in mind when I said decentish camera :)) The complete lack of aperture&expo control is unfortunately a no starter (at least for me). But you don't need to shell out a fortune for equipment; even some bridge cameras are pretty good. And if you don't have a problem with owning a SH, there are a lot of companies that sell refurbished equipment (thats how I bought my current camera; at 1/3rd of its original price); or buy one directly from fb marketplace/classified ad/etc. with personal pickup; to check the shutter count and condition.

XD You should have stated that its for both of you.  But perhaps thats not such a great idea; my previous camera that I bought was "ours"; and after we split, when she wanted it, she got half of it. Literally half of it. XD

8 hours ago, czbotond said:

XD You should have stated that its for both of you.  But perhaps thats not such a great idea; my previous camera that I bought was "ours"; and after we split, when she wanted it, she got half of it. Literally half of it. XD

hahaha great! xD

35 minutes ago, leafan said:

Open the pod bay doors, Hal...

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Although this is more Also sprach Zarathustra&Blue Danube moment

36 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Excellent vignette of an iconic scene!

Thank you! It's one of my favorite movie&novel (although its been a while since last time I read the book). We had great fun building it. I already showed my son the scene a while ago, but between the holidays we watched the whole movie; and it was great seeing him love it and be inspired by it (I don't think I have to explain how different it is compared to today's blockbusters)

6 hours ago, GhostDog said:

Great little MOC, thanks for sharing! I recently was able to see the original movie on a big screen in 70mm. What an experience.

Thank you; so glad that you like it!

Now I'm envious; we've only seen the movie on TV/monitor.