Jim

[REVIEW] - 42089 - Power Boat

43757528711_44ba932445_b.jpg

REVIEW - 42089 - POWER BOAT

45377310505_57e62eddb1_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION
Boats have never been really popular within the Technic theme. We have had our share of boats in the past, but getting a boat (or a ship for that matter) in the line-up always felt like an exception instead of a rule. The last couple of years this has changed a bit and Technic boats are getting more common. We recently got the 42074 - Racing Yacht, 42064 - Ocean Explorer and even a 42076 - Hovercraft. This new Power Boat is reminiscent of the 42002 - Hovercraft from 2013 though, due its limited size and almost exact part count (174 vs 170). At first glance, it definitely looks a lot cooler than the Hovercraft.

PICTURES
Pictures can be clicked to view hi-res versions. More pictures can be found in my Flickr album.

DISCLAIMER
This set has been provided by the CEE Team of TLG. It's not my goal to promote this set. It's my goal to give you an honest opinion about it. Therefore, the opinion in this review is my own and is in no way linked to TLG.

SET INFORMATION
Number: 42089
Title: Power Boat
Theme: Technic
Released: 2019
Part Count: 174
Box Weight: 258 gram
Box Dimensions: 26,0 cm x 14,0 cm x 6,0 cm
Set Price (RRP): € 14,99
Price per Part: € 0,086
Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX

45377310985_e3f206ba23_b.jpg

The back of the box shows the B-model. A Hydroplane, much like the 42045 - Hydroplane Racer from 2016.

46239767352_55b4730a7f_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX
The box contains:

• 1x Instruction manual
  • 1x Sticker sheet
  • 3x Unnumbered bag

45377310935_04b0623978_b.jpg

PART LIST
The complete list of 174 parts.

45377310615_da2f220190_b.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL
The finished model sure looks like real power boat, a bit over the top and designed for speed. This is emphasized by the stickers on the hull.

32418242508_cf4a104542_b.jpg

The two rear wheels are connected to the 1-piston engine and the propellor. When you "drive" the boat, the propellor rotates and the piston moves. Besides this, there is no extra functionality.

45377310655_45b41f9c4a_b.jpg

Using the trans-clear windscreen is a nice detail. Fits the boat nicely. 

32418242328_dca18f49e6_b.jpg

Here you can see the wheels used to drive the boat. 

46239767072_42eb5594c6_b.jpg

The left-over parts.

46239767212_3fefec19fb_m.jpg

SUMMARY
While I love the looks on this baby, I feel that this set could have easily implemented some form of front wheel steering. I mean, rotating the front wheel would have been sufficient.
Adding a second function to this set would have turned this straightforward set into something more special. Now it's okay-ish.

PROS

• Looks great
  • Nice B-model

CONS

• No steering

SCORE
How do I rate this set?

8 DESIGN
16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg
Looks as cool as a real power boat.

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE
15624316853_d44ef20b33_m.jpg 
Straightforward, just as the boating direction.

7 FEATURES
Would have been better with steering.

6 PLAYABILITY
16056649378_cd53c51c69_m.jpg
 Back-and-forth, back-and-forth, back-and....

6 PARTS
16056649378_cd53c51c69_m.jpg
Basically a collection of black panels.

7 VALUE FOR MONEY
Okay-ish.

7 TOO STRAIGHTFORWARD

FINAL WORDS
Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

Just now, JGW3000 said:

NIce little review, but I am not sure about having a boat with a differential.

There is no differential. But a boat with wheels is equally doubtful :tongue:

It's tricky to judge small sets like this aimed at introducing new younger 6 year old fans to Technic when we are not exactly new younger 6 year olds. A steered front wheel or a rudder (or both connected) would have been nice, but with a set designed to be this small and low priced to begin with it would have meant more parts and likely a higher price to include those seemingly simple additions. But there are a couple  of nice little details to like, such as they geared up the engine, although only a little bit, and the propeller turns the right way relative to the direction you push it....I think. The windshield piece works well with the design and it looks mostly like how a fast little powerboat should look. But it does seem like there are too many stickers. The black panels on the bottom would be mostly underwater so it looks a little odd having any design features via stickers there, and the front looks rather big and blunt for a speed boat, but those are only cosmetic issues. Overall, for the size and price point they were aiming for I'd say it's mostly a job well done.

I fully agree. Given the price, you can't expect too much, function-wise. You get what you expect to get. But I would love to be surprised with an unexpected extra feature.

Nice review for such small or should I say entry-level Technic set. If there were black connectors except light bluish gray it would be interesting as a small parts pack...

Photos are great (as usual) :thumbup:

Thanks for the review!  Yes, it's a small set, but I do like the parts, especially the black 3x7 curved panels in such a small set.  I'm glad they're becoming more common.  I agree that a few color changes would make it look a lot better (I'm still not a fan of the now red and yellow axles) and one little function would be nice, if even it was a just small openable compartment for storage... I may wait for a discount and pick it up.

Great review! But even if it doesn't have steering, I think it would be better to have the propeller at the back to be able to turn, so it at least looks like it can be steered.

ill throw in my 2 cents, i got my copy of this set last week.

I overall like the look of it (it greatly reminds me of set 6679, a childhood favorite), and while it sits a bit high on its wheels, it makes for a nice small(ish) sized display piece/desk toy i think. What could have been improved in that respect IMHO, is the engine. I feel like a single cylinder just doesnt cut it for a powerboat, especially when we had the 4 cyl in 42045 for the same price point. What this set should have imho is a V2 engine at the least, and space wise that should easily fit in there, im just not sure about the mounting. If i get some spare time ill see if i can MOD something up.

Function wise i think this set is a tad weak-ish, i own both 42057 and 42032 (and 42021), which i feel are its predecessors, and those all feel like they have a bit more playability, 42057 in particular adds the rudder control to otherwise similar (spin the prop/blades/engine) function. I imagine a kid would be able to fly 42057 around the room, or dig some bricks and move them around with 42032, but 42089 can only just move forwards and backwards spinning its prop (it doesnt even really do corners well)

Parts-wise, it is a great panel pack, 4 pieces of black 3x7 curved and 2 each of the mid-sized panels, a pair of long-narrow panels, a decent amount of lift arms, and some gears. The two antenna pieces were new to me, and for MOC/MOD enthusiasts would look great on larger cars or airplanes as decoration

TL;DR: i like the looks of it, but on functions/playability i think it is one of the poorer sets we've seen at the pricepoint 

I'd argue that front steering would make it behave even more like a car. It needs rear steering to feel boatlike and there's no space for this.

Having that said, if I was designing such a set, I'd give it two front wheels to power the motor which would be a V4 or V6 with pin-sized cylinders (like 2019's Corvette set's engine) and rear steering.

Edited by Immo