KotZ

24: Mafia - Confirmation and Discussion

24logo.png

*Clock ticking* The following takes place between the beginning of sign ups and the end of it. Events occur in real time. Some moles have infiltrated CTU, The Counter Terrorist Unit headed up by Jack Bauer, the man who famously does not eat or use the restroom as he solves world problems in a single day. He needs help finding the moles who would do the world harm. Are you up to the task? Or are you one of the moles?

NPCs
jackbauer.pngJack Bauer, Head of CTU

chloeobrien.png Chloe O'Brian, Senior Analyst

Players

agentmoore.pngAgent Moore, Secret Service (Kwatchi)

alfreddrew.pngAlfred Drew, Analyst (Zepher)

bandropov.pngBarry Andropov, Analyst (Kristel)

benson.pngBenson, Go-Team (Legomonorailfan)

bob.pngBob, Janitor (Bob)

dianegreene.pngDiane Greene, Senator Greene's wife (fhomess)

drjames.pngDr. James, Nurse (Tariq J)

jasonwhite.pngJason White, Go-Team (Kintobor)

kaster.pngKaster, Inmate (Lady K)

ofclewis.pngOfficer Lewis, Security Guard (jamesn)

rileymarshall.pngRiley Marshall, Analyst (jluck)

senlarrygreene.pngSenator Larry Greene (Khscarymovie4)

skinner.pngOfficer Skinner, Head of CTU Security (mediumsnowman)

wilsongoddard.pngWilson Goddard, Go-Team (Asphalt)

zip.pngZip, Go-Team (mostlytechnic)

The Rules

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the CTU (Town) or the Moles (Scum). To win the game, the Town must kill off all the Scum, while the Scum needs to outnumber the Town. Third-party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.

2. Each day you will be able to vote to lynch a player.  Voting is mandatory. Voting should be done in the following format; Vote: Character (Player). Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; Unvote: Character (Player).  No other format will be accepted. A majority vote is required to lynch a player. Failure to vote will incur a 2-vote penalty the following game day.

3. A game "Hour"/day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. The day will end when a majority vote has been reached after 72 hours. After the "Hour"/day has been concluded, an "Off-hour"/night stage will commence, which will last 48 hours. "Off-hour"/night actions must be sent to the host in the first 20 hours of the "Off-hour"/night stage.

3.5. Players may not target the same player two nights in a row, and may not target themselves.

4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the "Off-hour"/night, will be revealed at the beginning of the next "Hour"/day.

5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to or from you in PM with the game host, or in PM with any other players. This includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage.

6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread or via PM with other players. Private discussion is done at your own risk and should be treated as part of the game.

7. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on.

8. You may not edit your posts.

9. You must post in every day thread. 

10. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM.

11. Violation of any of the above rules will result in a 5 vote penalty for the first offence, and death on your second offence.

12. There are no hints or clues in the day/night images.

13. The Town automatically loses if they have not lynched all Scum/Evil players by the end of the "Day" (essentially 12 game days and 12 game nights).

Senator Larry Greene here. Any good politician ought to know about our greatest defense force. Especially if said politician is thinking about a certain house that is a certain color in the near future. :wink:

Hello dahlings, Officer Lewis here. I'm the best glorified mall cop in the entire CTU. Thinking about upgrading my segway for a hoverboard.

Hello everyone, this is Doctor James, any injuries come to me and I’ll patch you up!

Hi! Barry Andropov, analyst extraordinaire, reporting for duty.

This is Goddard, Wilson Goddard. I’m going to need a sitrep from all go team members stat. Don’t make me take off my glasses. 

Hi everyone.

So last night I <redacted> flamingo <redacted> Wyoming until <redacted> then kissed by a hairy <redacted> poem by Emily Dickenson.

Hilarious story, right?

I see Zip has already zipped in here. I can assure you, Zip is a professional when it comes to zipping too and fro from building to building.

The name's White. Jason White, and if there's moles somewhere in the CTU, they'll be rooted out sooner rather than later.

Kaster is here, so make room for a professional to show you how to do your job right.  

Hey, any good grub?...., cause the joint's food is rotten.

Uh my! Seems like I'm a little late to the party! Alfred Drew here, sorry, was stuck the analyzation room analyzing all sorts of important things! Ready to get started.

Looks like that's everyone. Expect Hour 1 up today.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:19 PM, Kwatchi said:

What follows is a rant. It is long and not really about this specific game at all, but it draws examples from it and needs to be said. Not the ideal forum for this granted but I want everyone's attention. Since I have already seem to be in the spotlight, I might as well leverage that for a purpose. It is also likely very counter-productive for me game-wise, but I am beyond caring about that atm.

I have only played one other game of Mafia on EB, but I have watched a few and read back through a far more. It always seem to be the same players making it past day 3 and into the end game, with some outliers. I figured it was just player experience that allowed them pick out subtle behaviour clues and clear newer players out. But now being on the receiving end of this I realize that is complete bunk.

Vets stick together in this group and newbs are “ignored”. I used quotes because it is not strictly that no one acknowledges them, it is they play around them. My example is that both Kristel and myself have been on Tariq. Kristel from Day 1, and me as of yesterday. We detailed our proof as best we could and during that time the only acknowledgement of the argument (PR fishing) is a throw away excuse from Tariq himself. Not one peep from anyone else about what we put forward. I'm willing to bet had I done what he did that I'd be up against the wall in a flash, but Tariq is a long time player so everyone seems to just ignore it as an honest mistake. It is two-tier thinking at it worst.

Today I simply feel like I was invited in order to make up the numbers. The vets are happy because they can vote off the newbs in the first few days and then they can play by themselves for the part that matters. Us newer players are stuck bewildered, wondering why no PMs us, no one believes us, and no one pays attention to us.

I have too much self-pride to simply suicide like JamesN just did, or Foreman did last game, or simply quit abruptly like Drunkhok did in my only other game played. While I am frustrated, it wouldn't be fair to the people who are actually trying to play evenly. However I won't be back for a third game either.

Now I'm assuming I have instantly upgraded myself from desperate to Satan incarnate, but it is what it is. As detailed previously, my vote is on Tariq for the Day 2 PR fishing we caught him doing.

Vote Dr. James/Tariq

Next on my list going forward is fhmoness (Diane) for starting the “he feels funny” train that I believe is an effort to peel me off Tariq. I believe these two are a scum team and I won't be deviating unless another scum is uncovered.

And I finally draw your attention to the absence of LadyK. If you wanted another blatant example of two-tier thinking, there it is.

Hey there - I saw that no one responded to this (since you're right, it was off-topic for the game) and it really deserves some discussion. 

I think you're partially right - yes, there's a trend for the experienced players to make it towards the end, and for the the new players to die off early. I don't think it's deliberate or malicious - in fact, we NEED new players! I remember back in the day when a game would be announced and they had to cap the players because there were more wanting to play than a game could handle. Now it's hope to get enough and the mod often has to cut down the game plan because there's not enough. So we desperately need new players to join and stick around and become experienced players to keep EB Lego Mafia alive. 

That said, yes, the new players do tend to get lynched quickly. There's a strong EB mafia style (I've tried playing mafia elsewhere after learning the game here, and I HATED it on other sites because it was so different) and that hurts new players coming in. The early days of a game are difficult to find reasons to vote for people. Everyone is roleplaying, nothing of significance has happened, so players tend to find anything to justify a vote and then things steamroll. However the person reacts, others can claim they under-reacted or over-reacted, call either one scummy, and then more people vote for them. It's a tough situation to get out of. And new players will tend to actually under or over react, making it even easier to get votes. And they're also likely to do something unusual that people can jump on as scummy. 

I did send him a PM.  It's no fun to see someone discouraged with the game, and particularly when it's someone who's new.  New players are great for the game and have actually shifted the style of EB mafia at times, but it happens slowly.  For example, it used to be that advocating for no lynch on day 1 was seen as super scummy.  There is a fair amount of meta-gaming people's play styles, though.  I don't think vets actively are trying to exclude newer players, but vets can get a pass for things that new folks wouldn't simply because they've played that way in the past.

For what’s its worth you were awesome in Trial by Jury and I’ll be sad to see you go @Kwatchi :cry_sad:

I do agree this community in particular has a bit of a metagaming problem and I think a truly anonymous game (Harriet Slutter rerun?) would be fantastic for energizing both old and new players, and lynches truly would have a better chance to go down based on what’s said rather than who’s saying it. :look:

3 hours ago, mediumsnowman said:

For what’s its worth you were awesome in Trial by Jury and I’ll be sad to see you go @Kwatchi :cry_sad:

I do agree this community in particular has a bit of a metagaming problem and I think a truly anonymous game (Harriet Slutter rerun?) would be fantastic for energizing both old and new players, and lynches truly would have a better chance to go down based on what’s said rather than who’s saying it. :look:

Exactly. I'll have my own thoughts up after this game, and I've always wanted another Harriet Slutter.

Also because I forgot to say, thank you Kristel and Jamesn for playing!