Hanso

Sioux.NET on Tracks shows huge fully automated train layout at Toypro in Nederweert (NL)

In 2018, Sioux.NET on Track was not allowed to show the train layout at Lego World 2018. Fortunately, the Lego store Toypro in Nederweert (NL) offered us the space and opportunity to demo our layout at their place.

December 28, 2018 we gave a successful demo to the visitors. You can find pictures at our Flickr page and a video on Youtube.

44748841340_8062d0ee86_c.jpg

Some facts and figures:

• The layout at Toypro used a space of approx. 7 x 3 meter.
  • We use a total of 15 Lego Mindstorms EV3 bricks. The EV3 bricks are running (relatively) small programs written in the EV3 programming language. Each brick is only capable of handling the local functionality, e.g. the delta crane can load containers from the conveyor belt to one of the four wagons. It receives a command to do this from the master PC application. Some builds are controlled by two EV3 bricks in Daisy chain modus. We didn't use three bricks in daisy chain because of the buggy firmware :-(.
  • The master PC application is written in Microsoft C# and WPF. It sends commands using the EV3 mailboxes to start a function and to receive status updates. For example, when the train arrives at the Delta crane, the train sends a message to the PC application that is has arrived at the loading area. Next, the PC application waits until the conveyor belt sends a message that a container has arrived at the loading platform. Then the PC application sends a "load wagon" message to the Delta crane. Etc.
  • All the bricks are connected to the PC via USB. Two exceptions: 1) The train is connected using Wifi. 2) The EV3 that controls the air pump, works standalone.

Enjoy, Hans

Edited by Hanso

Wow, this is awesome Hans! Very cool project. I love the part of the video between 1:50 and 2:00, so smooth :wub:

On 1/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, Jim said:

Wow, this is awesome Hans! Very cool project. I love the part of the video between 1:50 and 2:00, so smooth :wub:

Thanks @Jim

And lots of plans for 2019, including the already mentioned Lego Mindstorms Monorail so stay tuned!

Edited by Hanso

This is truly awesome! I remember sawing a video of your work perhaps 2 years ago and got amazed by then but you kept growing and increasing the complexity... well done!
Too bad we never have the chance to see such creations in our country :(

19 hours ago, MajorAlvega said:

This is truly awesome! I remember sawing a video of your work perhaps 2 years ago and got amazed by then but you kept growing and increasing the complexity... well done!
Too bad we never have the chance to see such creations in our country :(

Thanks @MajorAlvega for your kind words. And of course, you're always welcome to visit the Netherlands! We may have bad weather and horrible food, but some things are better here ;-)

Edited by Hanso

3 hours ago, Hanso said:

Thanks @MajorAlvega for your kind words. And of course, you're always welcome to visit the Netherlands! We may have bad weather and horrible food, but some times are better here ;-)

Oh I'm a lucky privileged guy, I've seen many amazing things in my live and also have much more LEGO and electronic gadgets than the average. I was thinking in kids in general - small not so rich countries like mine, far from "the center", have smaller geek groups and usually smaller events. Our LUG (PLUG) usually have a Technic/MINDSTORMS table but we are just 3 or 4 guys, we do our best but we are really playing in another league :)

On 1/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, Hanso said:

In 2018, Sioux.NET on Track was not allowed to show the train layout at Lego World 2018. Fortunately, the Lego store Toypro in Nederweert (NL) offered us the space and opportunity to demo our layout at their place. 

D

Why was that? Will you be at Legoworld 2020? Nice projects!

On 4/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, TuxTown said:

Why was that? Will you be at Legoworld 2020? Nice projects!

Thanks!

I hope we will be at Lego World 2020. Depends if an event as big as Lego World will be allowed again and if we are selected.

Hans