mcphatty

[MOD] X-Wing 75218

Update: The finished MOD along with instructions and parts list, all on Rebrickable, with new photos to follow...
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-36569/ron_mcphatty/red-5-x-wing-t-65-set-75218-mod

1280x1024.jpg

Thanks for your help guys!

7xRF0gu.jpg

Original post- My kids bought me the new X-Wing for Christmas, they’re the best! I’ve wanted one in Lego form since I was a kid and hung on to the idea of a new set since I got back into Lego five years ago. Initially I was disappointed with how this set looked due to that ugly lever on top and similarities to Poe’s X-Wing. However, I recently saw a friend’s set and between us we worked out a few easy mods to improve things on a budget.

j0trOPu.jpg

Starting at the front we added a few plates to the nose to combat how flat the top looks, then added dishes and pins to the laser tips, also replacing the blue pins inside the roots with with black pins plus 4L lightsaber bars to reduce wobble. We added landing gear and a couple of modified plates either side of R2 to box him in. Most significantly took part of the S-Fool lever off and added a removable lid with some detail. I was thinking of adding internal gears connecting to a handle at the back but I really like that rear greebling so for now the lid comes off to to open and close the S-Foils.

(Edit: I also added the extra cylinder length to the engines, thanks to Richpepperell for the design and Jerac for the suggestion)

Bricklinking the extra parts costed about £6 including delivery, the skids for the landing gear weren’t common but cheap enough as used parts. Hope you like it and happy modding in 2019!

Edited by mcphatty
Finished MOD added at the top

If I may suggest something, the single biggest issue of this set is how the engines' front edges are flush with the wing leading edges. This is totally wrong and I am not sure why did LEGO designers do that.

x-wing-png-6.png

If you manage to fix this, you will do a great step forward with this model.

What you did with landing gear is good, especially the way you hid rear landing struts. Simple yet effective!

I see what you mean about the engines. We deliberately didn’t do research for the mod, it was mostly about fixing the lever and avoiding any structural rebuild or expensive parts. Now you’ve mentioned it I’ll think hard about the engines, if there’s a simple and strong fix I’ll do it! The set is far from perfect but despite shortcomings like the engines I think it captures the look of the X-Wing really well.

Edited by mcphatty

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

If I may suggest something, the single biggest issue of this set is how the engines' front edges are flush with the wing leading edges. This is totally wrong and I am not sure why did LEGO designers do that.

I've done a lot of mods to this set, but I'd never even noticed the engine issue before! That's a little job for the morning!

May i suggest trying to make the wings two plates thick instead of three?

i did it to mine, it’s easy and the ship looks a lot less bulky like this.

you can also remove those uggly launchers on the wings in the same idea of having it more sleak.

Edit : here’s some pics of the wings two plate tick

31626057227_0e0b47c324_c.jpg_MG_0180 by m H, sur Flickr

46567163631_be38ba8943_c.jpg_MG_0181 by m H, sur Flickr

Edited by Lfm55
Added pics

Could i ask you for the bricklink reference for the skid part? 

I love your mod but can’t find this part on the bricklink catalogue ?

thx!

1 hour ago, Lfm55 said:

Could i ask you for the bricklink reference for the skid part? 

Yep, you’ve got two choices:

6120 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6120&name=Minifigure, Utensil Ski with Hinge&category=[Minifigure, Utensil]#T=C

and...

99774 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=99774&name=Minifigure, Utensil Ski without Hinge&category=[Minifigure, Utensil]#T=C

Both have one stud exposed so you can add a modified 1x1 plate with clip!

Nice mod. :) I forget how much they cost, but the sai dagger accessory makes a nice alternative to dishes for the blaster tips. I find the best way to attach them is with a 1x1 cone and a 1x1 stud with a hole. They're not quite as big as the actual thing, but they have the three-pronged shape without being really bulky.

Edited by Moppo

Lfm55, you’re welcome! And I really like your mod, the engines look superb! I’m trying to keep my own mods simple though, surface additions only where I can, whatever is easiest to replicate from simple photos. 

Edited by mcphatty

On 1/1/2019 at 8:38 PM, Jerac said:

IMG_20190103_172119

I'd never even noticed this until you pointed it out. Sorted it now. 

IMG_20190103_172211

Was thinking rebuilding the complete wings and that was so simple ??‍♂️

Good job! I gonna steal your idea again :)

4 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

IMG_20190103_172119

I'd never even noticed this until you pointed it out. Sorted it now. 

IMG_20190103_172211

Wow, that’s perfect! I’m definitely doing that too, brilliant job. How do the grey front jnstakes stay straight, just friction?

10 hours ago, mcphatty said:

Wow, that’s perfect! I’m definitely doing that too, brilliant job. How do the grey front jnstakes stay straight, just friction?

There are technic 1/2 pins on the inside of the cylinders with 1x3 plates which keep them aligned. 

Edited by Richpepperell

20 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

There are technic 1/2 pins on the inside of the cylinders with 1x3 plates which keep them aligned. 

Thanks bud! Those gaps in the bar within the cylinder are such a weird shape it took me a while to work out which piece fit snugly, your post got me to the finish line. Just Bricklinked the parts, looking forward to having proper engines. Great stand by the way!

Thanks for the pointers about the engines! Just finished adding to my own and they look so much better, it’s a fairly easy addition but illegal with the black pins I’ve used to hold my grey cylinders straight. Ah well, take me to court!

toFXLMQ.jpg

Edited by mcphatty

2 hours ago, mcphatty said:

Ah well, take me to court!

You are hereby sentenced to a 50m LEGO "walk of fire" consisting of 55704 only. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

Thanks! Big thanks to Jerac and Richpepperall for the engine advice. And yep, I’ll take the walk of fire!

On 1/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, mcphatty said:

Edit - The finished X-Wing MOD with no internal structural changes (removing 2 layers of plates around the lever is the biggest job) so what you can see is a cheap and easily added set of cosmetic updates.

Parts in Stud.io:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57zgclcop9ftplo/MOD 75218 X-Wing.io?dl=0

Mcphatty, great work on these mods! I ordered some parts based on your Stud.io file, but I don't understand how the 7L axles fit, or where the 3x3 discs go. The middle parts of each engine don't have holes for the axle to pass through. Any further direction would be much appreciated!

11 hours ago, joethemusicman said:

Mcphatty, great work on these mods! I ordered some parts based on your Stud.io file, but I don't understand how the 7L axles fit, or where the 3x3 discs go. The middle parts of each engine don't have holes for the axle to pass through. Any further direction would be much appreciated!

Cool glad you like the mods! Sorry the model isn’t so clear, the 7L axles replace the 3L axles that hold the engine cylinders in place. Start from instruction step 207 and try following my video, the tricky part is getting the black technic pins to jam into the square slots in the grey cylinder when you slot that on as it’s an illegal connection, the axe at the end holds it all in. It’s not an easy one, hope the video helps, let me know if you need more help :)

Edited by mcphatty

6 minutes ago, mcphatty said:

Cool glad you like the mods! Sorry the model isn’t so clear, the 7L axles replace the 3L axles that hold the engine cylinders in place. Start from instruction step 207 and try following my video, the tricky part is getting the black technic pins to jam into the square slots in the grey cylinder when you slot that on as it’s an illegal connection, the axe at the end holds it all in. It’s not an easy one, hope the video helps, let me know if you need more help :)

Super helpful, man. *BUT* I'm still not quite seeing where all the extra length of the 7L axle goes, because when I initially slot it into the technic 1x2 brick, then follow it with all the things shown in your video, it still leaves about an inch of length sticking out. Maybe I have something longer than a 7L axle?

Screenshot shows what I ordered on bricklink! Seems like the axle should go back farther into the engine, but those funny white spoked half cylinders the set uses for the back half of each engine have nowhere for an axle to pass through.

Call me confused! Thanks again for the help!!

Screenshot_20190222-071906_Samsung Internet.jpg

27 minutes ago, joethemusicman said:

Super helpful, man. *BUT* I'm still not quite seeing where all the extra length of the 7L axle goes, because when I initially slot it into the technic 1x2 brick, then follow it with all the things shown in your video, it still leaves about an inch of length sticking out. Maybe I have something longer than a 7L axle?

Screenshot shows what I ordered on bricklink! Seems like the axle should go back farther into the engine, but those funny white spoked half cylinders the set uses for the back half of each engine have nowhere for an axle to pass through.

Call me confused! Thanks again for the help!!

Screenshot_20190222-071906_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ah mate I’m really, really sorry, I think I made a mistake, the axle might need to be a 5L instead of 7! Have you got one you can try? I’m at work now so can’t check my X-Wing, I’ll check and change my parts list tonight, sorry again for wasting your time and money.