TrikBrix

Happy 30th Anniversary PIRATES!

Excellent stuff! I finely got the Eldorado fortress last year after wanting to get it more or less since -89 :grin:

16 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Love them all mate!

Thank you! ??

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Excellent stuff! I finely got the Eldorado fortress last year after wanting to get it more or less since -89 :grin:

Thanks! And that’s awesome - it had been on my wishlist for a few decades, as well. ?

I never saw all reviews on one place. So I am really happy to that this is existing. I never really got in touch with these Classic Themes. But I start to love them. And I love Light Gray now more than LBG. It's more pleasant to the eyes.

I think the forbidden island is my favourite of the pirate sets

A little bit off-topic but you know what I am talking about TrixBrix. :)

I finally got the 5988 from the Adventurers theme yesterday. Now I have 5 expect of 2995, 2996, 5919, 5948 and 5958.

6 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

I never saw all reviews on one place. So I am really happy to that this is existing. I never really got in touch with these Classic Themes. But I start to love them. And I love Light Gray now more than LBG. It's more pleasant to the eyes.

I think the forbidden island is my favourite of the pirate sets

A little bit off-topic but you know what I am talking about TrixBrix. :)

I finally got the 5988 from the Adventurers theme yesterday. Now I have 5 expect of 2995, 2996, 5919, 5948 and 5958.

That’s awesome! 5988 is one of my all time favorites, and an excellent addition to any collection! Congrats!

And thanks so much for watching; I’m thankful to have the opportunity to share these classic sets with everyone. ??

I just wish LEGO sets came back with those elevated bases for ramps, docks and castles, you figure LEGO would do a 30th anniversary BSB for this year, but they really had a good idea with the 2015 pirates themed, I figured at least with a second run we would have gotten more fortress and pirates hangouts based sets, but their good idea was connecting smaller sets into bigger ones, I wasn’t much fan of the rollercoaster or the 3 in one, but I kind of want more

Does anyone know, for a fact, if there are any plans to officially celebrate the 30th anniversary, even at the parks? A Pirate rollercoaster and treehouse are tribute sets and in no way a "Pirates" theme. Ninjago came the closest to a revival, though very short-lived.

1989 Pirates Trivia

Did you know that, although the LEGOLAND Pirates System, as it was originally called, officially debuted for everyone September 1, 1989... BUT, as listed in the 1990 Shop at Home Service Catalog, "preferred customers," (what is now known as VIP) were able to purchase four smaller, "impulse buy" sets starting August 1, 1989? Those were Pirate Mini Figures, Castaway's Raft, Shipwreck Island, and Sabre Island. The sets that joined these four on September 1 were:  Buried Treasure, Harbor Sentry, Black Seas Barracuda, Forbidden Island, Eldorado Fortress, Caribbean Clipper. It is assumed the Pirate Comic Adventure Set also premiered during this time throughout the world.

11 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Did you know that, although the LEGOLAND Pirates System, as it was originally called, officially debuted for everyone September 1, 1989... BUT, as listed in the 1990 Shop at Home Service Catalog, "preferred customers," (what is now known as VIP) were able to purchase four smaller, "impulse buy" sets starting August 1, 1989?

Thank you for providing that information, it may be beneficial to incorporate this into the first post of this thread.

21 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Does anyone know, for a fact, if there are any plans to officially celebrate the 30th anniversary, even at the parks? A Pirate rollercoaster and treehouse are tribute sets and in no way a "Pirates" theme. Ninjago came the closest to a revival, though very short-lived.

I don't think any of us can know for a fact what LEGO is or isn't doing this year when there's still so much that hasn't been announced.

That said, I think a lot of times people have unrealistic expectations of how many of their anniversaries LEGO can really justify a big promotional campaign for. They've been around for decades and introduced easily over 100 themes during that time. So they have to be somewhat selective about which anniversaries to focus on.

For the most part their major anniversary celebrations seem to meet at least these three criteria:

• It's an active theme/series/category that will be getting new products that year one way or another
  • It's the anniversary of something that has maintained a fairly stable presence from its launch to the present day ("20 years of X" packs more punch than "20 years since X")
  • Its introduction was a significant "first" even beyond the context of that particular theme.

Loosen those criteria and they could quickly wind up with dozens of anniversaries to commemorate each year! I'm not saying LEGO Pirates sets wasn't a big deal — but so were the LEGO brand name (75 years old this year), the Automatic Binding Brick (70 years old this year), LEGO windows and doors (65 years old this year), LEGO sets with instruction manuals (55 years old this year), LEGO 12V trains (50 years old this year), the LEGO "Maxifig" (45 years old this year), LEGO Fabuland (40 years old this year), LEGO Belville (25 years old this year), LEGO watches and buildable action figures (20 years old this year), etc.

Celebrating so many anniversaries every year based simply on how long ago they happened (rather than how long they lasted) could end up reducing excitement for the bigger, more extensive milestones LEGO tends to celebrate like when they successfully maintain a single system of parts, a single figure standard, a single theme, a single brand name, or a single brand partnership for however many decades.

But one can hope, the way LEGO has changed over the last 30 years since pirates have been with us, could only make us think of what would have been, I loved the last LEGO pirates wave and sometimes wish we had another wave, but you have to wonder what would had LEGO done this year, even if we got a reissue of the BSB or el dorado, or another take of the king Kahula island, who knows, pirates and castles are two lines with no sets in sight, two of my favorite lines of all time

Lego has released a lot of (sub-)themes, but few have the same following as Pirates, Trains and Star Wars to name a few do. So, it would only seem right to launch a (small) pirates theme to celebrate. But hey, I'm no marketeer.

Thanks for doing these great reviews, they really fuel my nostalgia. Keep 'em coming! :classic:

On 5/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, BrickWild said:

Also, Happy 25th Anniversary Indigo Islanders too! :pir-laugh::kahuka::pir-wink:

I remember getting the original Enchanted Island set as a big gift in the 90s, such an amazing set and the 2 river (1 raised) baseplates got used a lot, and the printed walls with leaves on them were very cool, even used them in some Castles.

Edited by TeriXeri

Also... I'm trying to research the origins of the Pirate line. How did it come into place? Why did LEGO choose that theme to produce sets? Why has the Circus theme never really been introduced into LEGO when the '80s was full of Circus media, from Disney's Dumbo Circus to Duplo's own sets and even the Lego World Showcase at least one if not two years?

My research brought me all the way back to the 80s where the World Shows occurred, each having its own souvenir book. Show 8 "Ships and the Sea", 1988, an entire year before Pirates would debut, there are models of a Captain Redbeard (not his Roger name as it was in the UK).

As for merchandise, the earliest I have found was a Captain Roger patch listed on the back of Bricks N Pieces, Spring 1989 (I have looked only a few issues in 1988). Although the Spring 1989 issue of Brick Kicks is incomplete, a Youtube video of someone browsing it page by page has surfaced and there appeared to be no indication of anything Pirate related.

Another interesting bit of trivia...

• Pirates were first introduced to club members here in the US by way of the Brick Kicks Summer 1989. Here the line was mentioned in the news flash from the toy fair with models of a pirate and the governor Broadside and a black treasure chest (the same one from the Toy Fair catalog I'd love to find scans of). They were introduced as LEGOLAND Pirates (without the System title) and in the same issue the first-ever Pirate comic appeared. The official premiere issue would be the Fall 1989 one. https://images.brickset.com/library/view/?f=worldshows/LWS-8-ShipsAndTheSea http://www.miniland.nl/LEGOclub/Bricks en pieces spring 1989.htm
  • The 1989 catalog that came in larger sets provides some of the best tidbits about the Pirates line as it debuted:
    • Captain Redbeard is written as "Captain Red Beard"
    • The line is listed as LEGOLAND PIRATE SYSTEM at the top of the page but within the text referred to as "LEGOLAND Pirates of the Sea"
    • Although you were supposed to create your own adventures, it pretty much setup the story: Governor Broadside and his settlers (as they are called, before 'Imperial Guards') aimed to capture the stolen treasure from the Pirates
    • This was one of the first themes, aside from introducing custom faces, where it's pretty obvious and practically stated a division exists between good and evil, where the settlers were actually the bad guys because they wanted to hide the treasure they found from the Pirates, who laid claim to it because it was their ancestors' (visit http://wskel.com/sb/pirates/ then click "Story" for the complete Adventures of the Pirates of the Sea storyline). I don't recall criminals making their way into the Town theme around this time but I do recall the Black Knights being a sinister enemy to the Forestmen (aka Robin Hood, as they were called in the UK). Plus Space Police were introduced around this year if I recall.
    • The Pirates System had stories that appeared on the inside lids of the larger boxes that setup the adventure for you. This is probably why only the two ships and fortresses are more or less the Pirate theme and all the smaller sets are more or less impulse or intro buys that could either be implemented into your Castle, Town or Space themes for an added adventure or simply to introduce the system to kids to see if they'd like the theme or just want the accessories, like the gold/guns or certain minifigures.
    • Although unattractive, the Pirate System did have a female pirate named Bessie. Personally I could not tell that red dot on her mouth was supposed to be red lips since the ot was solid; it would have been meaningful if the circle had a line cut out of it so it could be easier to tell, especially since I was going on 6 when the Pirates debuted.
    • https://images.brickset.com/library/view/?f=catalogues/c89us2

By the way if anyone has or can scan the 1991 and 1993 pirates souvenir books I'd be most obliged.

Edited by kelceycoe

Good work for doing this research, @kelceycoe! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, kelceycoe said:

My research brought me all the way back to the 80s where the World Shows occurred, each having its own souvenir book. Show 8 "Ships and the Sea", 1988, an entire year before Pirates would debut, there are models of a Captain Redbeard (not his Roger name as it was in the UK).

For those who aren't aware, Brickset has a scan of this booklet.

1 hour ago, kelceycoe said:

By the way if anyone has or can scan the 1991 and 1993 pirates souvenir books I'd be most obliged.

14 years ago we did have scans of the 1993 Prates souvenir book but it seems the images have long since been removed...

I found a copy of the 1991 scan on my PC I can attach if someone gives me the space.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:06 AM, kelceycoe said:

I found a copy of the 1991 scan on my PC I can attach if someone gives me the space.

I don't have the necessary permissions to grant space but I can attach them for you, if you have a copy of the image files hosted on your website.

16 minutes ago, kelceycoe said:

Or people can just visit my site now and get them... http://www.wskel.com/sb/pirates/ then click Events and the list of programs and additional content with each program is there.

Yeah, that's probably not what the majority of forum users are going to do.

If an image is not immediately in front of them they probably won't bother.

Right! My site is made for fanatics who've been with Pirates since Day 1 not casual browsers whose first Pirate sets were 2009, or gasp, PotC.

16 minutes ago, kelceycoe said:

Right! My site is made for fanatics who've been with Pirates since Day 1 not casual browsers whose first Pirate sets were 2009, or gasp, PotC.

Your website is a great resource of LEGO Pirates materials - you've done a great job there! :thumbup:

However, most people aren't going to visit your website, every time you post "visit my website" because it's an added level of effort.

Generally the point of forums is to post the content directly into the topics because it's far more convenient to access.

9 hours ago, Cyberfounder said:

Is TLG not doing anything for 30 years of pirates??? :sad:

It seems it celebrates 20 years of Star Wars instead. Celebrating an other brand. With the 1478th Slave I. Sadly Lego has lost its identity.

Edited by Medzomorak