Recommended Posts

The Sunken Tavern

Sheltered off the coast of Tradesmeet, Halfway between Varlyrio and Avalonia, sits the Sunken Tavern.  The Tavern is a favorite destination for many a sailor, captain or pirate.  The Tavern provides a safe haven for all.  The Tavern does not fall within the jurisdiction of Tradesmeet despite it's proximity, and this make's it especially alluring for those seeking to arrange illicit deals and contracts.  While some assume the Tavern is under the control of the Scarlet Marauders, the owner is actually a Kolgari who has run the tavern for as long as anyone can remember.  Despite it's illicit reputation, the Tavern is understood to be a safe location to travel to and from unmolested.  Some say that the Scarlet Marauders have an arrangement with the Kolgari owner, while others say the Kolgari is a powerful magician with many wards and protections in place.  It is even whispered by some that the Kolgari has a Kraken at her beck and call, if such a thing even exists. Regardless, the result is that visitors need not worry about Pirates, Maruaders or Customs agents.

 

the_sunken_tavern.jpg

 

ship_-_varlyrian_straight_up.jpg

A Scarlet Maruader vessel is docked.  This is a common sight at the Tavern, and many who wish to make contact with the Marauders will attempt to do so here.

 

overview_right.jpg

The Sunken Tavern has many visitors, and those from foreign ports are not uncommon. 

 

 

ship_-_avalonian_left_front.jpg

Currently an Avalonian ship is docked and the guards appear to be on alert, whether out of caution of fear of recognition, it is hard to tell.

 

 

docks_-_ildaran_fisherman.jpg

A Varlyrian Fisherman is bringing in a fresh load to sell to the larger vessels, and to the Taverns patrons as well.

 

 

docks_-_tavern_entrance_close-up.jpg

The tavern is well built and has weathered many a squall.  It is open in calm or storm.

 

 

interior_-_first_floor_overview_.jpg

The tavern is on the first floor, and can get quite rowdy, depending on the crowd.

 

 

interior_-_first_floor_straight_right.jp

The Kolgari owner is Taleth Asari, and she is always accompanied by other Kolgari, said to be her bodyguards or sisters, depending on who you ask.

 

 

interior_-_second_floor_straight_.jpg

There are two rooms for rent on the 2nd floor of the tavern, with access to the balcony on the third floor, and from there the great room.

 

 

interior_-_third_floor_right.jpg

interior_-_third_floor_left.jpg

An Avalonian merchant nobleman has been staying in the great room for a couple of weeks, and is about to depart in the vessel awaiting outside.

 

 

second_floor_balcony_overview.jpg

The balcony is quite popular during dry weather for drinking, socializing and negotiations.   A heated discussion is currently going on between a Varlyrian lady and Malco Amancio, the notorious nephew of Supano Amancio, a forceful "negotiator" who is also called 'kneecap' by some behind his back. 

 

 

second_floor_balcony_-_varyrian_hitman.j

Malco is always suspicious and hot-headed, and has a particular dislike for his cousin Aldacio, who he thinks is trying to seduce his current consort.

 

 

second_floor_balcony_-_varlyrian_associa

Aldacio was born and raised in Avalonia, and his relatives see him as soft and weak, and are embarrassed by his soft Avalonian tendencies.

 

 

 

docks_-_overhead_left.jpg

 

docks_-_overhead_right.jpg

As always, the docks are busy, and populated by all sorts of characters from all over Historica.

 

 

High rez and more pics on Flickr.

Spoiler

All of the floors are removable in this build with full interiors (as shown above.)

the_sunken_tavern_-_exploded_view.jpg

 

Edit: Added exploded view to hidden area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh my! :wub::wub: The upside-down boat is excellent and I love the overall look - simple and effective, neat and elegant; exactly what you'd expect from a well-known tavern. Lovely details all around, on the balcony, on the docks, the boats, the interior, the figs.. and those roofs! Nice lore to go with it as well (Scarlet Marauders, uh? ...). I thought I recognised that fisherman so I went and checked: it's him! :wink: Brickshelf link won't work? Waiting for Flickr. 'Soft Avalonian tendencies' cracks me up :roflmao:  Awesome job!!!

Edited by en_zoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a brilliant concept and very well executed too!  I really like the round roofs, they make the tavern really stand out!  Great quantity of seagulls too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice shaping on this, Rogue! - I'll echo the others on the boat hulls; the curves throughout and the round windows really give this a neat and distinctive look :thumbup:  Glad to get to meet some more members of the Amancio family too, and I'm going to have to remember that use of upside-down vials as lights!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really great idea on this one! The idea of a neutral zone in the middle of the sea is very intriguing, I only wish we had better maps so I could get a feel for where things are.

The build itself is really nice, the upside down boat is a nice touch. There's quite a lot of reddish brown in the main building, a little dark brown or other such colours might have helped to break it up a bit.

Love the build though, and great to see Varlyrio freebuilds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great example of curving woodwork, both in the upturned hull pieces and the plates that curve outwards. It really looks like several ships taken apart and refashioned into a tavern. My only question is what is it build on? Is it built on sunken piles or is there a reef or rock that comes close to the surface? Or is it built on floating rafts and anchored in place?

its not really important I am just curious.

I find it funny how different people portray Avalonians. Some picture them as honorable but soft hearted knights and hippies. While others have suggested their feudal structure is a little flawed.

hope we see more of this as a setting for future skullduggery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A brilliant MOC! The idea itself is awesome already, but the execution is even better. Outstanding! :thumbup:

 

For the life of me I can not remember where, but I have the odd memory of seeing something like this in the past. It does not take away from this ne even the slightest bit - not remembering if and where I saw it drives me mad though! :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice concept and great execution :thumbup:
I love how the inclusion of Varlyrio is leading to the maritime life and wonders of Historica being fleshed out more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 7:49 PM, W Navarre said:

Very nice job, the boat upside down and the curved roof are very good!  

Thanks!  the curved roof was one of the hardest parts of the build.

23 hours ago, en_zoo said:

Oh my! :wub::wub: The upside-down boat is excellent and I love the overall look - simple and effective, neat and elegant; exactly what you'd expect from a well-known tavern. Lovely details all around, on the balcony, on the docks, the boats, the interior, the figs.. and those roofs! Nice lore to go with it as well (Scarlet Marauders, uh? ...). I thought I recognised that fisherman so I went and checked: it's him! :wink: Brickshelf link won't work? Waiting for Flickr. 'Soft Avalonian tendencies' cracks me up :roflmao:  Awesome job!!!

Thanks - the interior was the other major difficulty of the build. The Varlyrians are real isolationists and definitely have a false sense of superiority. 

22 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

This is such a brilliant concept and very well executed too!  I really like the round roofs, they make the tavern really stand out!  Great quantity of seagulls too!

I have made a major effort to pick up seagulls - I think I started off by buying 10 of the sea captains, and then I found them in the BAM at the Lego store to expand that even further!

18 hours ago, mccoyed said:

AWESOME concept super well executed.

I wanted to do an offshore tavern/inn and I stumbled across this art.  This was what I based my build off of.

16 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Very nice shaping on this, Rogue! - I'll echo the others on the boat hulls; the curves throughout and the round windows really give this a neat and distinctive look :thumbup:  Glad to get to meet some more members of the Amancio family too, and I'm going to have to remember that use of upside-down vials as lights!  

I don't remember where I got the vials from, but they worked better than lanterns in this build.

14 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Really great idea on this one! The idea of a neutral zone in the middle of the sea is very intriguing, I only wish we had better maps so I could get a feel for where things are.

The build itself is really nice, the upside down boat is a nice touch. There's quite a lot of reddish brown in the main building, a little dark brown or other such colours might have helped to break it up a bit.

Love the build though, and great to see Varlyrio freebuilds!

I didn't have enough dark brown at the time to stagger it throughout everywhere.  This is probably the only major change I would make if I were to rebuild it again today (I have had this built for quite a while now.

13 hours ago, mlongworth said:

Love this build. Love the tavern and your boats. And there are so many great details.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Muakhah said:

This is a great example of curving woodwork, both in the upturned hull pieces and the plates that curve outwards. It really looks like several ships taken apart and refashioned into a tavern. My only question is what is it build on? Is it built on sunken piles or is there a reef or rock that comes close to the surface? Or is it built on floating rafts and anchored in place?

its not really important I am just curious.

I find it funny how different people portray Avalonians. Some picture them as honorable but soft hearted knights and hippies. While others have suggested their feudal structure is a little flawed.

hope we see more of this as a setting for future skullduggery.

This is built on sunken piles, and it is close enough to Tradesemeet Port to benefit from shelter from storms, but far enough away to allow for deeper draughts.

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

A brilliant MOC! The idea itself is awesome already, but the execution is even better. Outstanding! :thumbup:

 

For the life of me I can not remember where, but I have the odd memory of seeing something like this in the past. It does not take away from this ne even the slightest bit - not remembering if and where I saw it drives me mad though! :pir-grin:

This was the art I used for reference in this build.  I have not be able to find the original image though to give credit.  Only Pinterest and Wallpaper links :(  I love the art!

4 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Very nice concept and great execution :thumbup:
I love how the inclusion of Varlyrio is leading to the maritime life and wonders of Historica being fleshed out more!

Being an island that relies on trade, nautical matters are of vital importance.  I have been splitting my building time between ships, gnomes and Urban Varlyrio. Too many things to portray!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

This was the art I used for reference in this build.  I have not be able to find the original image though to give credit.  Only Pinterest and Wallpaper links :(  I love the art!

Woah, cool artwork, thanks for sharing the link.

I meant that I remember some Lego build of this concept. I wish Google was smart enough for a search option "something like this". :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drunknok said:

Woah, cool artwork, thanks for sharing the link.

I meant that I remember some Lego build of this concept. I wish Google was smart enough for a search option "something like this". :pir-grin:

I have never seen a similar Lego build before.  I actually built this for Brickworld 2016, but just hadn't posted it yet.  I'm sure someone has built with upside down boat hulls before (Someone just posted one in this forum recently) but I had never seen the other curved roof style that I used for the rest of the roofing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rogue Angel said:

 I actually built this for Brickworld 2016, but just hadn't posted it yet.

That could very well be it! :thumbup:

Your build shows up in this video (at about 12:45), and I think I saw the whole thing before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent use of techniques as well as for the exterior and interior... WOW man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great build!  I love the idea, and the execution of the concept.  It's a big job to pull off!  I really like the interior of the place, especially near the bar.  The varied minis look great.  The black and red ship is a nice color change, and looks very crisp.  I'm a fan of clean builds, although in this case, it almost looks too clean, like the build is new.  The plethora of seagulls (yay gulls!) are great, but I am wondering where all the whitewash is from the many gulls?  Perhaps an inclusion of some gull whitewash, some sand green or olive green for moss, and maybe some small foliage pieces for seaweed or other small growths would help to break up the large brown sections that look pristine.  In any case, it's a great build, and I enjoy seeing your work!  Nice job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quite nice, and the concept is excellent as well. I agree with Grover that it is too clean for an old building on the water, especially with gulls (and their poop) everywhere. But storms and weather in general would stain the wood and batter it a bit, making it look aged. Or barnacles, perhaps, clinging to the sides? The all-brown color is a bit monotonous - perhaps a bit of brighter color here or there (besides white and black), or even some different browns, could have been good. Also, as I said in a different build of yours, I don't like the loose 1x1 round water technique, as I think it looks both unrealistic and messy, but I know that others undoubtedly disagree. Plus it is easier on the budget, I'd reckon. All that said, this is a nicely thought out build, with nice interiors, interesting spaces (like the patio), and some nice detailing. I hope to see more of Tradesmeet and its surrounding locale, as well as Varlyrio in general, soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the coolest and most unique tavern designs I've seen :wub: The rounded roofs look absolutely brilliant and your incorporation of prefab boat hulls is spot on :thumbup:
Lovely interior too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.