Mesabi

[COR-FB] Books for the People

Type: Large Factory

Literacy rates continue to climb in Mesabi Landing, as a wide selection of books were printed in Mesabi Landing's printing factory

46544566351_cb3f2cdd97_z.jpgBook Making by North White, on Flickr

In a small outbuilding, Tony oversaw the typesetting onto the printing plate. 

46492650832_8ab2911978_z.jpgBook Making by North White, on Flickr

In the main building, Captain Angles made sure that all the steps of production were done according to plan. 

44727126690_5dca602b51_z.jpgBook Making by North White, on Flickr

Type was put onto each press, and paper underneath it. 

46544566161_4e170cf34c_z.jpgBook Making by North White, on Flickr

Each press imprinted the words onto paper, and the printed pages were stacked in piles.

46544564731_3cbd8f6544_z.jpgBook Making by North White, on Flickr

Pages were stacked in order, and bound with horse glue, and covered with a horse leather cover.

46492650812_45d99bec7a_z.jpgBook Making by North White, on Flickr

Soon, another load of books would be sent out to the Brick seas...

FIN

Thanks for viewing this build! C&C appreciated!

Ill echo that the press is convincing.   I like that you included the "binding" process.  Overall though I feel this lacks detail.   Your a grand city now and still have plain Jane architecture that conjures images of low budget government housing from the 70s.  I think your capable of much more.   Don't hold back add detail in the rooms add baseboards...  You added chair rail stripe why call that good enough?  Windows with sashes or shutters awnings even? 

Don't get me wrong I'm not beating you down here...  I really want to see greatness from you step out of your comfort and experiment with some architecture and some details. 

Even if you keep the flat roofs add detail like roof supports protruding through the walls.   Sky lights or wildlife can dress up plain roofs a simple brick build sparrow is better then sparseness! It's a new year...  Be inspired man! 

Thanks for your comments!

On 12/31/2018 at 2:38 PM, Kwatchi said:

I like your printing press design.

Thanks, I'll try to post a picture of the design tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, Bart said:

Great idea to use computer keyboards as letterboxes 

Yeah, I thought they were very fitting!

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Overall though I feel this lacks detail.   Your a grand city now and still have plain Jane architecture that conjures images of low budget government housing from the 70s.  I think your capable of much more.   Don't hold back add detail in the rooms add baseboards...  You added chair rail stripe why call that good enough?  Windows with sashes or shutters awnings even? 

I wasn't quite inspired by this one, and I have had trouble building factories recently. I feel like a factory should focus more on the process than the architecture. Either way, to be honest, we needed 7 points of factories to level up the city, so that's what I came up with. 

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not beating you down here...  I really want to see greatness from you step out of your comfort and experiment with some architecture and some details. 

I know, and I will be working on being better at doing details this year. Thanks for your feedback, it means a lot!

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

I feel like a factory should focus more on the process than the architecture. Either way, to be honest, we needed 7 points of factories to level up the city, so that's what I came up with. 

But that's the thing a mason used to be a highly skilled profession it was an apprenticeship to become one so you learned the style of your master...  Look at any old building...  They have prominent features they have class and style.   Bobs is set in an era where great buildings were constructed - even a flop house would have a style to it as carpenters were skilled as well unlike the majority of "framers" now days.   

They built without technology and without machines so they would do it well the first time because it was a lot of work.   

To give you an example there's a wooden fort built by the French in the 1700s not that far from me.   At first it looks like  giant log cabin with spiked walls but look closer and there's detailing in the porches and the windows even the plain walls have details things hanging on them.  The fort is very functional and not built to be fancy but it still has details.  

As far as factories...  Think about where the misprints go...  Where do they store the paper where's the editors office where are they getting the glue is there a store room cans of it about the work benches did they drop the letter q behind a press and that's where it resides.  A broom against a wall a guy mopping.  A boy delivering new paper or fresh ink.   Factories should be full.   This was before labor laws so is your press operator eating a sandwich while working...  Did his wife bring him lunch?  Is a politician paying off the publisher to run misinformation about his opponent? 

I personally cant build when "I need X for the EGS"  I have to step back and look what I'm building and how the build would have been used. 

Only in ML would explosives be stacked between buildings of a printing factory...

Nice printing presses. Also, neat use of that piece (?) for the tray of type.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:07 PM, Mesabi said:

C&C appreciated!

Without knowing exactly what a person has in his/her collection to work with, it's difficult and risky. I'll pass.