Capt Wolf

[MCTC: Salida Este] native swordsmith

Not all the development in Salida Este is happening in "New Town" -- the increased activity is having an effect all over town. Outside the new city gate, Suharto, a native craftsman, has set up shop.

swordsmith1.jpg

Soldiers stationed on Ferro Azure for the past couple of years have discovered the skills of some of the locals smiths. Suharto has had a steady flow of Eslandolan soldiers to his smithy seeking his sword-making skills. Now Suharto has set up shop near the new city gate to be closer to his customers.

swordsmith2a.jpg

Here we see another happy customer admiring his new sword. Suharto's pet, Tiger, also appears to be admiring his handiwork (or maybe he's just dreaming of what he'd do if he were a "big" cat :pir-grin:).

---

A small artisan for Salida Este. All C&C welcome.

I like your fireplace with the two different colour brick bricks.

(but where is the chimney going?)

The irregular base looks quite good, so does roof, I like how you've used a great variety of colour to build it. The interior is nicely detailed as well. And excellent photo!

Lovely build! The first picture is my favourite, it absolutely captures the spirit of the workplace.

I think the roof would look better with less colours used, but other than that I like the whole build alot. Well done! :thumbup:

As Professor Thaum says, the roof is the highlight here.  Simple and practical, but still with an eye to design, just what you'd expect from a small artisan in a culture rich city like Salida Este!  Great open design of the building too.  Definitely feels like a forge!

Very nice little forge, apart from the lack of a chimney! The roof strikes me as too much of a kaleidoscope though: light and dark tan, regular and dark brown, dark orange, olive and sand green together is somewhat riotous. I think a max of 4 interspersed colors would look better.

The best thing about all the LEGO forges is the fact that no minifig ever lost his hearing thumping on plastic swords! :pir-laugh:

While I love the shaping of the roof I keep getting distracted by all the colors.  To me it keeps drawing my eye away from all the details you put in the shop!   I definitely like the open air feel very typical of smithys back then.   I have been meaning to build a forge as well but have yet to get to it.   Definitely will be borrowing some inspiration! 

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Nice built very simple and very efficient.

The roof is the highlight with its 3 different sloping.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, Kwatchi said:

That is a lovely roof.  Well done.

Thanks! Wanting to try out this roof technique was the main reason for the build.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Bart said:

where is the chimney going?

23 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Very nice little forge, apart from the lack of a chimney!

Ah, so embarrassing! I could say that there's a short chimney on the back side of the roof, and you just can't see it, or I could say I was trying to decide between a couple of different approaches for it and somehow forgot about it entirely as I finished the roof! :pir-oh:

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, Bodi said:

The irregular base looks quite good, so does roof, I like how you've used a great variety of colour to build it. The interior is nicely detailed as well. And excellent photo!

Thanks for noticing the irregular base! And getting the interior lighting for the photo was tough. Thanks!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Drunknok said:

I think the roof would look better with less colours used, but other than that I like the whole build alot. Well done! :thumbup:

16 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

While I love the shaping of the roof I keep getting distracted by all the colors.  To me it keeps drawing my eye away

23 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

The roof strikes me as too much of a kaleidoscope though: light and dark tan, regular and dark brown, dark orange, olive and sand green together is somewhat riotous. I think a max of 4 interspersed colors would look better.

I think you are all correct -- too many colors in the roof. I'm already planning a more sedate version for a future build. But experimenting with this roof was the goal, so I learned a lot.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Drunknok said:

Lovely build! The first picture is my favourite, it absolutely captures the spirit of the workplace.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, Kai NRG said:

As Professor Thaum says, the roof is the highlight here.  Simple and practical, but still with an eye to design, just what you'd expect from a small artisan in a culture rich city like Salida Este!  Great open design of the building too.  Definitely feels like a forge!

16 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

all the details you put in the shop!   I definitely like the open air feel very typical of smithys back then.   I have been meaning to build a forge as well but have yet to get to it.   Definitely will be borrowing some inspiration! 

Thanks! I was very happy with the feel of the build for a smithy.

I'm curious -- is it apparent I used a light brick to illuminate the forge? I think it can be seen in the first photo, but isn't all that clear in the second photo. I was happy with how that turned out in person, but I'm not sure it came through in the photos.

Thanks again for all the comments! This was an enjoyable little build, and I pan on using the roof technique again.

@Capt Wolf

If I wouldn't have seen it in the first I may have missed it in the second I'm sure it's more prominent in person though...  I know people love the fire to glow in our clubs layouts...  We use the little light bricks under the fire.