efferman

42096 Porsche 911 RSR Mods and improvements

On 3/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, EC76 Brickbuilds said:

Hey guys, I'm new here, and possibly a little late too.

I'm just wondering, what would you guys recommend in terms of lowering the suspension of the model? I've seen one simple mod on Rebrickable but I'd rather not use that one as it completely diminishes the cars suspension - compresses it so that it doesnt work at all. I would like to lower the car and keep the suspension functionality at the same time. Anyone know how to do that?

If you scroll back through the above you'll find there are a couple of ideas for simply applying obstructions to limit the suspension arms' downward travel.  The simplest way to do it is to put a short beam under the arms, pinned to the existing chassis.  The Rebrickable idea has its merits if you're only ever going to look at the model, locking the suspension out all together and it does look good that low (but might as well strip it and rebuild without the coil springs and use them for something else if you're going to do that; it's problematic if you're going to put a lighting kit in the car, like I did, because any lights under the extreme front will be sitting on the ground).

Just going to post two or three ideas I had to make small differences to the RSR....here's the first.  I got a bit fed up with the doors not quite shutting.  Left over parts included two extra (silly) domed wheel nuts, which can hold the doors very well, and also straighten out the door/bodywork line a bit:

porsche-2.jpg.866bf0dd67f809daaa20db34d69bd19b.jpgporsche-1.jpg.ddbe5b0ca587ed8a1450068d02c7f31f.jpg

Idea two....  The black rear quarter, behind the driver's seat sticks out too far towards the rear wheel arch....Replace the beam attached to the underneath with a 12 hole beam (black or white work equally well, I happened to have a couple of black ones), and put a peg pointing downwards in the second hole from the back so it sits between the two grey beams that hold the rear suspension...Because of that peg you have to push the panels into place extra firmly to get a bit of flex, but that rear pin stops the panels sticking out to the arches. If you use a 13 hole beam (like me) you must also allow one hole forward of the black panel, so the end of the beam wedges under the angled beam that goes up to the roof securing pin.  It raises the end of the angled beam a little, but the securing pin works fine and the roof line is more or less unchanged as far as I can see.

1129086412_carverysmall-1.jpg.c42797f11895d4a13f388e1e5d5db02e.jpg

Edited by Dodgems
clarification

Hi again !

After seeing some HOG implementations that were not good for me (wheel on the back side, not enough long axles and universal joints), I decided to find another solutions. After a little work, here's what I achieved :

911-RSR_HOG_1.jpg

911-RSR_HOG_2.jpg

911-RSR_HOG_3.jpg

It does not need many things, just 2 universal joints, a few mid-size axles (from 5 to 9), one connector + a few bushes to hold them right... and of course a wheel/gear !

You can see how it works here : http://celerii.free.fr/_public/forums/911-RSR_HOG.mp4

Feel free to let me know what you think !

Edited by Celeri

I'm looking to make my rsr awd. Anyone done this already? I dont want motors involved though 

On 1/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, vectormatic said:

I havent seen anyone do serious mods to that though, besides perhaps PF integration. I ordered some CV joints to make it AWD, but so far i cant really be bothered, im not a very skilled axle designer, so trying to fit a suspended, driven steered axle in the same footprint kinda scares me. 

Did you get anywhere with the awd mod?

Edited by Neil_Dalby

1 hour ago, Neil_Dalby said:

I'm looking to make my rsr awd. Anyone done this already? I dont want motors involved though 

Nope, as i recall, i wasnt planning on AWD-ing 42096, but rather 42077, as AWD seems appropriate there. The real world 911 RSR is RWD, while rally cars are mostly AWD.

1 hour ago, Neil_Dalby said:

I might quickly do it as an ldcad model (might). Should not be hard at all considering I might add a 6 speed + r + n gearbox and flappy paddles to the 42125 ferrari and even thats not as complicated as my supercar MOC WIP which is based on a heavily modified 42115 chassis.

48 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Nope, as i recall, i wasnt planning on AWD-ing 42096, but rather 42077, as AWD seems appropriate there. The real world 911 RSR is RWD, while rally cars are mostly AWD.

I get what you mean however I'm all about modifying my models lol. My defender has central driver position, 8 wheels and independent front and rear steering lol

I wanted to remove the HOG on the roof in favor of the rear part : I did not manage to implement one only with axles and universal joints, so I chose to put a few gears on the rear part :

1280x960.JPG

800x800.JPG

800x800.JPG

Playability is quite good, even if I had to use 3 gears instead of 2 (steering reversed in this case), which limited my choice of gears. I think I will keep this solution instead of the one I put on the roof some weeks ago.

Hope this can help!

Having initially been put off buying this model due to the frogeyes I have now purchased and used the X4 dish mod for the headlights.

I was also unhappy with the ride height but despite not liking the instafix suspension mod I have ended up using it.

What were Lego thinking of when they released this unrealistic model?

Here the new "spiked" tires from the RC buggy or Raptor will work the best!

Actually, I had an idea about making such a setup for 42125 Ferrari but it should work as well for 911 too:

1. put the suspension lower and make it softer with a more considerable articulation
  2. optionally, add the FWD (or enjoy the RWD burnouts)
  3. optionally, add RC+motors. It will really blast the track, rather than the low-sitting normal set which barely can travel between rooms.

Hi everyone!

After lurking around here for inspiration for a while I decided to finally share my own modifications to the thread. I'm not happy yet with the way the rear 'window' looks and I want to rebuild the entire front at some point, but this is how it looks so far. Anyway, thanks for all the cool ideas on how to make this set better!

If you have any suggestions or anything on how to rebuild the front or anything let me know!😁

42096 modded

Edited by Aardappels

On 10/3/2022 at 2:39 PM, Aardappels said:

Hi everyone!

After lurking around here for inspiration for a while I decided to finally share my own modifications to the thread. I'm not happy yet with the way the rear 'window' looks and I want to rebuild the entire front at some point, but this is how it looks so far. Anyway, thanks for all the cool ideas on how to make this set better!

If you have any suggestions or anything on how to rebuild the front or anything let me know!😁

42096 modded

Also new here and like your work !  Gonna have a better look later because here is so much to discover.

5 hours ago, Eric Munsters said:

Gonna have a better look later because here is so much to discover.

Hi Eric,

While it is nice to have new comments, please try not to revive older topics, unless there is something important to add, as noted in the site guidelines.
I have hidden several of your posts reviving old topics.

Thanks.