efferman

42096 Porsche 911 RSR Mods and improvements

It seems this Car needs a topic like this. first from me a small mod to make the axles less wobbly

edit: a small frontmod and lowered the back a bit

31605180417_d0aca1fb6c_c.jpg

31605180707_53cc154d59_c.jpg

31605181397_d2b1b98a62_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

the frogeyes are changed or is the difference not visible?

44725318500_a32ff29b83_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

good work @efferman, the RSR indeed deserves some love like this.

Its a bit sad though that Lego is OK with pushing out a product like this, with so much play in the suspension, when a dozen parts can make it all significantly better, the rear suspension in particular with the half width arms, yet such an easy fix..

Great to already have the ideas for improvements ready so shortly after the release of the set. 

@efferman what are chances of implementing HoG with this set? I believe this is crucially needed for playability..

There is more than enough space to route a steering shaft to the diffusor and  place there a  knob

No further plans yet. I have not really time for it. Yesterday i have built it, made my mods and today i have written my review. More time is actually not available.

That is already lot of work done. It is nice parts pack, but somehow rally car from last year is more interesting, perhaps because there are proportional issues with Porsche...

1 hour ago, Rolando said:

Great to already have the ideas for improvements ready so shortly after the release of the set. 

@efferman what are chances of implementing HoG with this set? I believe this is crucially needed for playability..

A HOG Mod was very easy to do.. I modded my wife's model because it is near impossible to steer with the in car steering wheel.. I'll get some better pics later today, but you'll get the idea from these...

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

Just now, efferman said:

Why not going underneath the engine?

I guess as long as the differential isn't in the way, you could do that.. Will probably require much more in depth modification..

Just now, Paul Boratko said:

I guess as long as the differential isn't in the way, you could do that.. Will probably require much more in depth modification..

Better than a steering shaft which is going through the interior

10 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

That is already lot of work done. It is nice parts pack, but somehow rally car from last year is more interesting, perhaps because there are proportional issues with Porsche...

I havent seen anyone do serious mods to that though, besides perhaps PF integration. I ordered some CV joints to make it AWD, but so far i cant really be bothered, im not a very skilled axle designer, so trying to fit a suspended, driven steered axle in the same footprint kinda scares me. 

I personally much prefer the porsche though, the rally car might offer the same functions in a cheaper package, but after building/modding, my technic sets are 90% showpieces, and imho the rally car is just straight up ugly

6 minutes ago, efferman said:

Better than a steering shaft which is going through the interior

It works very well and all of the axles and universal joints are correct... This mod only took about an hour to do... Looking at the undercarriage of this model, it is indeed going to require some heavy rebuilding to route the steering under the engine and differential, then some reworking on reinforcement parts that will need to be removed and replaced somewhere else..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Ok, you can probably feed and axle on the non gear side of the differential and use some cv joints to make the angle to the steering axle... It might not require as much as much reworking as I thought..

not my favorite solution but it works. during assembling i would choose less universal joints

46559248931_59e14117a2_c.jpg

Just now, vectormatic said:

I havent seen anyone do serious mods to that though, besides perhaps PF integration. I ordered some CV joints to make it AWD, but so far i cant really be bothered, im not a very skilled axle designer, so trying to fit a suspended, driven steered axle in the same footprint kinda scares me. 

I personally much prefer the porsche though, the rally car might offer the same functions in a cheaper package, but after building/modding, my technic sets are 90% showpieces, and imho the rally car is just straight up ugly

I usually buy sets as parts pack and here in Croatia only Arocs had a decent price from licensed sets due to damaged box...

Anyone consider adding a transmission into this?  Even a 4-speed (with PDK!) would enhance the technical aspects greatly...

Just now, DataNinja said:

Anyone consider adding a transmission into this?  Even a 4-speed (with PDK!) would enhance the technical aspects greatly...

Should be doable, especially with the new 20z and wave-catch parts from the chiron. The gearbox probably wont go in the correct place though (behind the engine, in the rear of the car, where normally the engine sits in a 911)

I havent gotten my hands on the 911, but given the space in 42077 underneath the engine, i would imagine a one-layer 4 speed PDK (like in 42056) is the first option anyone should look at.

Here is a straight forward design with true connections and some slight structural modifications.. This works perfectly and looks pretty tidy...

800x533.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko