Bracari

AoM: Stables Phase 1: Clifftop Riders

As Lady Eleanor and her retinue begin the descent from the North-Eastern Pass into Bluevale, Robb Strongarm (Sir Loth's grandson) leads her and Daenn (Master of the Lady's Guard) to a cliff from where they can have a good look at the valley below. The Lady observes the domain she means to effectively reclaim as her birthright. She knows it will not be easy to convince the few
families and clans who remained after all the troubles that having a noble to oversee the land again will be beneficial.
However she is determined to restore Bluevale as a productive and prosperous farming community... And perhaps more, there are other possibilities and some plans are starting to take shape...

45808642474_59db5c0892.jpg 45808641894_8b3b22d5bd.jpg 45618880785_31e8d618fb.jpg 45618880315_c8da61edbd.jpg

Spoiler

Builder Notes:

It is a simple cliff with some horse-riders on top as the title says (there is also a Ranger on foot), nothing special in terms of techniques (except it was the first time I did this kind of rock formation). Also my first try at something micro-scale (really micro) and using forced perspective, I guess it turned out OK but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Wanted to get it in before the end of the year as I want to have January completely free for the Challenges.

The color palette is limited light bley, green and a little reddish brown for the cliff and dark blue, dark green (except for a little patch of sand-green), dark bley and of course white for the snow for the micro-scale. Hope you enjoy the build.

As always any advice, tips and criticisms are welcome

Nice job.  I like the perspective shot.  Simple but good rockwork.  Figs are neat too.  

nice job. micro sclae + forced perspectie isn't always easy - that's actually something I tried and didn't quite succed with. It seems you managed much better :thumbup:

One thing: I went and check if there were other posts from you about yur charachters, but coudn't find any - is that so? I'm asking because, for next time, it might be better to introduce them in a different post to avoid the explanations in brackets; that way will the story flow better, imo :classic:

Yeah, this is good stuff. Last two shots especially. Try using GIMP2 for brightening pics though.

That is a really good looking forced perspective. It really looks like a sheltered valley that people might take refuge in.

The forced perspective shot with the figures blurred and the background in focus is the best of the bunch, and looks great! I'm not as sold by the picture looking up at them, perhaps because there is not enough height exposed to really sell the effect. It still looks good, though. I would suggest varying up the technique on the rocks, though, as right now it is rather plain. That said, this is a nice build, and I hope to see more of the story soon!

I really like this.  The forced perspective looks great, and I don't see many of these.  The small size in no way detracts from the build, and I really love it as a vig for moving the story along with some perspective shots to give the reader an idea of the beauty of the land.  Great job!

Thanks for the input guys.

@en_zoo In my previous builds the characters where introduced as the story progressed from build to build. This one didn't allow for that. You are right, as soon as I complete the Challenge Builds, I will have to create a topic to introduce the characters.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:04 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I'm not as sold by the picture looking up at them, perhaps because there is not enough height exposed to really sell the effect. It still looks good, though. I would suggest varying up the technique on the rocks

I agree the the first picture doesn't really show the fact they are on a high mountain passage. The rockwork is also something I need to improve.

Exciting to see Lady Eleanor working towards restoring Bluevale :thumbup:
Your rockwork is nicely varied without looking too chaotic, and the forced perspective mountains are quite effective. Good choice to have them topped with snow :dsweet:

2 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Good choice to have them topped with snow :dsweet:

It wouldn't be the Demon's Ridge or Mitgardia without the snow covered mountains, right? :wink: