Cosmik42

Control all your Powered Up & Power Function (SBrick) devices with a single software

On 6/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, Cosmik42 said:

Hi everyone,

I have finally release the source code of this project. My life choices simply prevent me to engage further in this project, and it would be stupid not have the community take over and make it even better!
You can download the full source code here: https://github.com/Cosmik42/BAP

Feel free to upload some pull-request and help improve this software!

Here an example to set different speeds for every train for each section in the code editor of the PAB software.  Many thanks to Cosmik42 who was so nice to release the source code.

BAP train speed in section

On 6/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, Cosmik42 said:

I have finally release the source code of this project.

@Cosmik42

I totally missed this - no idea why.

But your move is so incredibly reassuring: We remain to be a real community here on EB - which is entirely not the case in so many other "places" in life.

Thank you very very much for doing this.

For me it makes the whole difference.

All the very best wishes and hopes for your endeavors!

Sincerely,
Thorsten

On 10/3/2020 at 11:32 PM, Toastie said:

But your move is so incredibly reassuring: We remain to be a real community here on EB - which is entirely not the case in so many other "places" in life.

Thank you very very much for doing this.

For me it makes the whole difference.

All the very best wishes and hopes for your endeavors!

Thank you kindly sir! 
Your energy and passion in this forum was a great source of inspiration to continue working on this project.

I posted on the repo, does anyone have instructions to compile the msft c++ app on a machine without visual studio?  I only have visual code and ms build to compile this.  But if someone tells me how to do it I will provide my experience here.

Also, if anyone can clearly demonstrate to me that they can compile cross-system for OSX, I will ship you a Mac Mini to test dev builds.

Thanks to everyone working on this cool project!

Edited by ixodie

Could it somehow be possible to do a communication to an old RCX via the infrared tower ? - Or communicate to powerfunktions motors and sensors via the WEDO Hub ?

I have about 25 old school RCX and a whole bunch of 9v motors to it, that I want to use controling my trains instead of buying new Sbricks/powered up.

1 hour ago, Stoffer70 said:

I have about 25 old school RCX and a whole bunch of 9v motors to it, that I want to use controling my trains

Wow, lucky you!!!

Now, do you want the RCX' on the trains? Or have them controlling power to (sections) of track?

Best,
Thorsten

22 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Wow, lucky you!!!

Now, do you want the RCX' on the trains? Or have them controlling power to (sections) of track?

Best,
Thorsten

Thanks.

No not on the trains. I use them to control sektions of 9v tracks and to control change track. And also I use them to shift light in signal posts.  

I have made several home made sensors to the RCX with Reed sensors that can detect a driving train. 

But after reading this very interesting post about the Brick automation projekt,I thought that maybe it could be possible to control everything incl my new trains in this program?

Well, I am afraid that won't work. At least not in a straight forward approach.

You would need to convert the (IR) serial protocol of the RCX/tower into Bluetooth LE communication. As far as I understood, this is what @Cosmik42's software does: BLE bidirectional communication. Now, one thing would be to lift the RCX com to BL (but not BLE) com via a NXT brick equipped with a HiTechnic IR sensor. Guess they are sold out though. I have two and they work perfectly well in terms of NXT to RCX com. Problem is: Range, as the HiTechnic sensor is rather limited. I solved that issue by making my own IR <-> RF converters (bluntly copying any 38kHz IR signal to RF). Next thing to do would be to hook-up the NXT to @Cosmik42's program. Don't know if that works. But if, you would have access. 

With regard to the WeDo Hub: I am out. Provided this is a hub using BLE as well: No. As far as I know there is no channel from RCX/serial to BLE via @Cosmik42's software.

But then others may know better.

What I did, was to get hold of a BLE client for Windows, and then use my own program to talk to a) the RCX'es on my layout via serial IR -> RF RF-> IR -> RCX and to PF via serial IR -> RF RF -> HiTechnik sensor -> NXT then NXT -> HiTechnic sensor IR -> RF -> RF -> IR -> PF. And b) the BLE PU hubs are accessed via the nSoftware BLE client for Windows directly. All runs on VB6/32 bit from 1998 on a Win10/64bit machine with USB to serial converters.

Let me know if you want to know more. I have about 10 RCX doing work on my layout.

Best
Thorsten