45793513024_dd86224418_z.jpg

Enter the de Fiori forge!  Only the finest and strongest of Varlyrian blades come out of these furnaces, crafted by the sword-making master of the family, Cioro de Fiori.

44700190210_a944600c6d_z.jpg

Along with his children, Bjarke and Gionna, Cioro makes almost all of the daggers and swords which originally gave birth to the rise and fame of the de Fiori's. 

44700195720_934790ba4c_z.jpg

The fire:

32644189818_b7e56c0cf3_z.jpg

Gionna de Fiori:

44700193380_db014cc702_z.jpg

And one last overview of the scene:

32644194548_c6ca1dea69_z.jpg

Well, I think that wraps up my family member vigs for now!  Check out the last of the new characters here.  HQ and the forge pic that I was basing this off of inspired me to try some scene lighting here - getting it just right for the pictures was definitely a pain, but I'm quite happy with the results! :classic:  Also another entry to CCCXVI (or whatever number we're on now :laugh:) - most just because it happened to fit the interior category.  Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome as always!

Tremendous job with the lighting here!  This build turned out really neat, perfect amount of detail and really impressive chimney.  As I said on Flickr, the bellows look great too.  The chains add a nice touch!

Lovely build, I really like the snot floor.  The forge itself is great, i like the arch on the bottom.  The fan is awesome.  I like the anvils  and all the tools.  Great job.  

Nice build, you made a great atmosphere with the lighting. The bellows is really good and I love the part you use for the tool rack.

Could've sworn I already commented on this, but anyway excellent work here! The lighting compliments well, and the forge itself is quite impressive. 

Oh man, this is even better than the armory :thumbup::thumbup: I love the details all around and I think you nailed the lighting - how did you lighten the fireplace? Light brick or? I also really enjoy how this integrates the armory and the whole story of the de Fiori's family. Pity to hear that this will be it for a while... ? :cry_sad:

Thanks all! 

On 12/29/2018 at 8:49 PM, Kai NRG said:

Tremendous job with the lighting here!  This build turned out really neat, perfect amount of detail and really impressive chimney.  As I said on Flickr, the bellows look great too.  The chains add a nice touch!

Thanks Kai!  I'm afraid I kind of went from one extreme to the other here with the busy-ness of the background, but it did work pretty well both times.  Glad you like the lighting - as you know, getting that just right was rather a pain! :facepalm: :grin:

On 12/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, zoth33 said:

Lovely build, I really like the snot floor.  The forge itself is great, i like the arch on the bottom.  The fan is awesome.  I like the anvils  and all the tools.  Great job.  

Thanks man!  That arch was something I really wanted to fit in!

On 12/30/2018 at 1:23 PM, (Luc)ky Luke said:

Nice build, you made a great atmosphere with the lighting. The bellows is really good and I love the part you use for the tool rack.

Thank you!  The furnace kept growing to accommodate those racks (which were one of my first ideas when starting the build), but I'm glad I stuck it out :laugh:

On 12/30/2018 at 11:30 PM, Andrew Spader said:

Could've sworn I already commented on this, but anyway excellent work here! The lighting compliments well, and the forge itself is quite impressive. 

Thank you Andrew! :classic:

On 12/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, en_zoo said:

Oh man, this is even better than the armory :thumbup::thumbup: I love the details all around and I think you nailed the lighting - how did you lighten the fireplace? Light brick or? I also really enjoy how this integrates the armory and the whole story of the de Fiori's family. Pity to hear that this will be it for a while... ? :cry_sad:

Thanks man!  And never fear - I just meant that this will be it for family member intros for a while (I've already got like 10 :laugh:); now I've got to get the story part rolling and do something with them all!

I would have done a light brick except that those don't emit nearly enough light to capture when taking pics outside - instead I just stuck a pretty powerful flashlight behind/under the furnace and had it on while taking the pics.  The rest of the lighting is all natural light coming through the front and the opening in the roof :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Another stonking build @Garmadon! Love the all LEGO scene and the fireplace light.

So many lovely details in the interior too. Great work!

Thanks Bas, glad to be able to churn out a few builds here to hopefully get us back on the scoreboard!  All LEGO scenes can be somewhat more work-intensive, but they definitely pay off! 

Forge and bellows are the best parts for me. Otherwise it’s an excellent clean build that looks extremely realistic.

i also like that there are two anvils for multiple projects or the master and the apprentice to work side by side.

This is truly splendid, Garm! I love the lighting, especially the forge, but the diffuse light filtering down from the ceiling does a great job of looking like skylights or something of the sort. The dangling chains are perfect for giving it a sense of character, and the bellows is a thing of beauty. When I finally build my own blacksmith forge for Druidham, I'll be looking back at this one to see different things to copy, and the bellows is one of those things. The SNOT floor with occasional crack is nice, as is the texture of the stone in the forge itself - just enough to give it some wear and tear without going overboard. The tool racks are great, too. The only thing I think needs to be fixed is the lack of any sort of wedge or rack for the barrels - wouldn't they be at risk of rolling every time you poured yourself a pint to cool off? I guess I also wonder why the dark bley stone arch in the back has a gap in it, but perhaps it is not a fully structural element. I am glad to have inspired the lighting efforts on this! Hopefully more builders will start to emulate the effort and give us beautiful shots like this one!

Besides from the excellent build, I really have to compliment you on how the pictures are taken and the light you used!

This is one of the best forges I've seen.  Although not linked, I think that you and I were looking at the same picture for the medieval blacksmith forge, as the forge looks the same and the bellows with pull chain is great.  Absolutely lovely all the way around.  The details of the chains hanging from the ceiling and all the tools are really awesome.  Very, very nice work, and the photography is great to boot!

Like others have said, this is a great build! The atmosphere is lovely, the bellows and the forge look great. The hanging chains are a great touch, makes it feel very lively

Tremendous interior setup! Forges are something we see a lot of in LEGO form, but this one is something special :wub:
Brilliant bellows, lovely lighting, and just the right amount of tools and other details scattered around :thumbup:

Thanks all, glad to hear you all enjoyed it! :pir-sweet:

On 1/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is truly splendid, Garm! I love the lighting, especially the forge, but the diffuse light filtering down from the ceiling does a great job of looking like skylights or something of the sort. The dangling chains are perfect for giving it a sense of character, and the bellows is a thing of beauty. When I finally build my own blacksmith forge for Druidham, I'll be looking back at this one to see different things to copy, and the bellows is one of those things. The SNOT floor with occasional crack is nice, as is the texture of the stone in the forge itself - just enough to give it some wear and tear without going overboard. The tool racks are great, too. The only thing I think needs to be fixed is the lack of any sort of wedge or rack for the barrels - wouldn't they be at risk of rolling every time you poured yourself a pint to cool off? I guess I also wonder why the dark bley stone arch in the back has a gap in it, but perhaps it is not a fully structural element. I am glad to have inspired the lighting efforts on this! Hopefully more builders will start to emulate the effort and give us beautiful shots like this one!

Thanks for the in-depth comments here and on my other builds, HQ!  About a wedge for the barrels - that's a great idea which I hadn't thought of, but it certainly would have been helpful since they were rolling all over IRL :grin:  I'll remember that for next time!  And the arch has a gap in it just because LEGO doesn't make arches that long and because I didn't expect to the picture to capture that much of the build anyways while I was building it! :laugh:  Keep up your interior shots - they certainly are inspirational!

On 1/5/2019 at 3:01 PM, Grover said:

This is one of the best forges I've seen.  Although not linked, I think that you and I were looking at the same picture for the medieval blacksmith forge, as the forge looks the same and the bellows with pull chain is great.  Absolutely lovely all the way around.  The details of the chains hanging from the ceiling and all the tools are really awesome.  Very, very nice work, and the photography is great to boot!

Thank you!  You're probably correct, and the only reason I didn't link it is that I couldn't find it again while posting this :grin:  The chains really made the scene in the picture I was inspired by, so I definitely wanted to get in here.  Thanks again!

Fantastic scene and masterfully photographed :thumbup:
Some really good details you've put together there :classic:

(I don't know how I missed commenting on this before?)