Sign in to follow this  
T Lego

[MOC] Audi RS1 concept car (donut car)

Hi everyone, 

perhabs some of you remember my first post on eb: Audi rally car. Soon after I posted it, I realised that I didn't like it enough. Therefore I decided to create a brand new version with roughly the same DNA. The main goals for the new version were to look better and drive better compared to the old one. 

Audi%20RS1%20-1.png

To improve the looks, I went for a classic collor scheme: red body and black roof. I also downsized the width (17 stud compared to 18) and the wheelbase (two studs shorter). To get some more contrast, I put blue racing stripes on the seats.

Audi%20RS1%20-2.png

Making the car smaller meant I couldn't use some tricks used in the old one, such as BuWizz inbetween the front wheels. It is now located underneath the trim.

Audi%20RS1%20-3.png

To improve driving, I decided to use two Buggy motors rather than one and put them as low as possible in the chassis for the best COG. The gear ratio is the same as before: 1:1. The steering is also much smoother and has almost no backlash. Due to these improvements the car drifts WAY better then the old one. It even does donuts. Here you can see some pictures of the drivetrain and rear suspension.

IMG-0469.jpgIMG-0470.jpg

Due to the insane power from two buggy motors, gears often slipped during the development. A simple but effective solution I came up with was to use knop gears rather than 12t bevel gears to transfer the power to the rear wheels.

Audi%20RS1%20-4.png

The car features, like the old one, front and rear suspension, but it is a very different setup. The front now uses traditional suspension arms and the rear is a liveaxle without diff.

Audi%20RS1%20-5.png

Audi%20RS1%20-6.png

The doors and bonnet can be opened manually. Because there is no battery under the bonnet, there was a bit of space for a fake V6 engine made out of knop gears.

Audi%20RS1%20-10.png

More pictures can be found here: https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/T_Antonie/random/audi-rs1

In case you think that the car is slow, that is due to the fact that I am a NOOB driver. In all the video clips BuWizz was in normal mode.

You can watch the video presentation here:

I'd love to know your thoughts and critics or other feedback are highly appreciated too. 

Really nice build with impressive performace. I'd love to see it with the Buwizz set to Ludicrous so keep practicing that driving.. 

8 hours ago, grum64 said:

Really nice build with impressive performace. I'd love to see it with the Buwizz set to Ludicrous so keep practicing that driving.. 

Thanks, the highest you can set BuWizz with two buggy motors is in fast mode. In loudicrous the batteries are flat in no time and you get electrical cuts very often. However, I will be practicing it more for sure.

4 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I really like this, are you going to be making instructions?

Thanks, sorry I fergot to mention, but free building instructions are being developed. They will be done before February.

Firstly I must admit I like the way you present the material! Good and very interesting to read!

Design is very recognizable! I like absolutely everything, only I do not understand why wheeks do you use with this 49/5 mm tires?

Only one critics: no questions about the video, but music quality is awfull :laugh:

Edited by Aleh

3 hours ago, 9 fingers said:

I like it wery much. Original color scheme and realy god shape.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks a lot!

59 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Firstly I must admit I like the way you present the material! Good and very interesting to read!

Design is very recognizable! I like absolutely everything, only I do not understand why wheeks do you use with this 49/5 mm tires?

Only one critics: no questions about the video, but music quality is awfull :laugh:

I am glad you like it! About the wheels, I wanted to use those specific tires, beceause they are very good drifting wheels. I chose those rims beceause they were the only ones that allowed me to get it 17 studs wide. The tire and rims, theoretically, are not compatible, but I found that they work together perfectally fine! And I am sorry that you dislike the music:look:

Note: If anybody knows rims that are compatible with these tires and allow me to maintain 17 studs of width, let me know!

Tight compact design.  2 RC motors wow!  Love the performance and the accurate replicated looks especially that hood with the curved tiles flanked by flex axles.

Edited by KD123

That bodywork... it's just so perfect! :wub: Even the underside looks good!

On 12/30/2018 at 9:33 AM, grum64 said:

I'd love to see it with the Buwizz set to Ludicrous

+1 Those donuts really need some more power put into them... 

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

That bodywork... it's just so perfect! :wub: Even the underside looks good!

+1 Those donuts really need some more power put into them... 

Thanks a lot! Maybe I'll make another video after I practiced drifting a bit more. This time outdoor in the mud.

Hi everyone,

As I promised, Instructions have been made:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-21796/T-Lego/audi-rs1

Special thanks to Thorsten who did an exellent job at making these high quality PDF instructions. The car has 1028 parts and, as far as I am concerned, can only be built in red-black and black-black.

For the instructions I made a few mods to the car and now it has a fully modual chassis! It consits of six seperate modules:

• Cabin
  • Frame
  • Rear axle
  • Front axle
  • Engine
  • Roof

Instructions%20ex%201%20(2).pngInstructions%20ex%203%20(2).png

Hope you like it!

Edited by T Lego