Sign in to follow this  
RobertoSamuel

I believe that Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures was originally my idea. Breaking the silence and revealing details.

Hello to the Eurobricks community, my name is Roberto Samuel Oliveira, and I am 44 years old. I am a former school teacher and writer, I retired from school teaching in 2003. I developed a interest in LEGO in late 2004. My favorite movie is Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was born in Brazil and travelled to England in 2005 after Lego Star WarsThe Video Game success.

What I am going to post here is a thing that I believe that was a injustice that happened to me, but I have no intention to sue anyone, but i will break the silence. For 15 years, I was been a creative writer, and my writer's soul increased when I discovered LEGO. LEGO games were my favorite. After the huge success Lego Star WarsThe Video Game made in 2005, I moved to England. I contacted Traveller's Tales in a phone call to a executive, suggesting a LEGO game like "Indiana Jones". I said in the phone call creative suggestions for a LEGO Indiana Jones game, saying this would be a "huge success, just as Lego Star Wars was" If I remember, the call lasted for at least thirty minutes. I said my writer's experiences, but it looked like it was in vain. After like twenty minutes, Traveller's Tales denied any of my suggestions. After a little some time, I contacted TT Fusion, saying the same suggestions, but got declined as well. After seeing that I got no success at all, I decided to abandon my idea of suggesting Traveller's Tales and TT Fusion a LEGO Indiana Jones game.

But I got a big surprise in 2008, when Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures was released. In December 2008 I contacted Traveller's Tales again in a phone call, asking if they made the game in out of my idea, but they didn't answered any of my questions, leaving me confused. I contacted TT Fusion as well, asking the same thing. The only thing I got on that phone call I made to TT Fusion was that "they began making the game after some ideas" and I don't know if this was in fact, my idea.

I enjoy Traveller's Tales and TT Fusion's games as everyone else, but I decided to publish in this forum what happened to me. I don't know if they considered my idea years later, or just made it on their own.

If you have a question, just ask me.

Sincerely,

Roberto

1 hour ago, jp-30 said:

Was your idea before or after the first wave of physical Indiana Jones sets? 

Hello friend, my idea was before Indiana Jones sets. In some of my poems I cited Indiana Jones, and mentioned LEGO in some of them, though they were not about LEGO Indiana Jones.

I hate to break it to you, but this is exactly why corporations generally DON'T accept suggestions from fans. You suggested a pretty basic spin-off of the newly revitalized Lego video game brand. Then, when Lego licensed the Indiana Jones franchise to make sets in advance of the fourth movie, that became an incredibly obvious direction for Traveller's Tales to take the franchise in. It almost certainly had nothing to do with your suggestion, which despite your passion was nothing more than a fusion of two existing brands (Lego and Indiana Jones), neither of which you can claim any ownership of. And yet you feel personally wronged because that combination of ideas ended up happening without any meaningful input from you.

The better way to take this turn of events would be to simply be happy that the game you'd dreamed of and yet lacked any means to create ended up coming to exist anyway, and to enjoy playing the game you'd been hoping for.

Just now, Lyichir said:

I hate to break it to you, but this is exactly why corporations generally DON'T accept suggestions from fans. You suggested a pretty basic spin-off of the newly revitalized Lego video game brand. Then, when Lego licensed the Indiana Jones franchise to make sets in advance of the fourth movie, that became an incredibly obvious direction for Traveller's Tales to take the franchise in. It almost certainly had nothing to do with your suggestion, which despite your passion was nothing more than a fusion of two existing brands (Lego and Indiana Jones), neither of which you can claim any ownership of. And yet you feel personally wronged because that combination of ideas ended up happening without any meaningful input from you.

The better way to take this turn of events would be to simply be happy that the game you'd dreamed of and yet lacked any means to create ended up coming to exist anyway, and to enjoy playing the game you'd been hoping for.

Never thought of this. Thanks for clarifying it for me, friend.