Spoiler

Previously:

Out of the Ashes -Roadmonkeytj

To hell (and back?) -Keymonus

Meanwhile in Acropolis -Keymonus

Devastation of Charlatan Bay -Roadmonkeytj

Waiting in the wasteland -Keymonus

Infero Pordejon, Northern Coast of the Charlatan Bay, 618

A couple of cannons in a strategic position, concealed in the thick jungle of Infero Pordejon… at first, the hidden battery was nothing more than that. Today, only two years later, things have changed a lot: the Bishop before, and the Marderian occupants later, progressively strengthened the little fort with heavier cannons, trenches and embankments, making it almost impregnable from sea.
Together with Fort Saint Millar, this battery overlooks the bay… who controls them both, controls the port and all the naval trades of the settlement.

31564375517_8a96cd2b1d_m.jpg 31564375337_d03a6a5439_m.jpg 31564374707_e7901b7071_m.jpg

"Five thousands doubloons for a load of hardtack and salted cod! What else do you want? And if we doubled the price, the inhabitants of Charlatan Bay would pay all the same! And we just have to sit here, drinking rum, playing dice and sending to hell any ship trying to sneak below our nose! We take no risk, and make a lot of money! Why the hell do you think we should take sea?" 

46504185251_e589565326_z.jpg

"Well, you are perfectly right, but… how long can it last? We have completely squeezed the lemon, and now Charlatan Bay is starving. Only the rich can afford the imported food, and now they are to the limit too. We are as rich as Mokolei satraps… why not to leave now, before one of the gangs, or one of the troublemakers of Hightown decides to cut our throats?"
"Don't talk nonsense, my friend! The citizens may be starving, but some of them can still pay nice doubloons. The gangs fight one another in the streets for the control of warehouses and control zones, but all the goods they divvy up come from the port, and they know that no merchant would trust them… without our mediation the commercial routes would drain completely. Moreover, they are not strong enough to assault the forts. And that old captain, Von Bricktin, left the city several days ago... if we are lucky the indians are already using his skull as a mug, and may Hades damn his soul!"

31564375467_c4bdc802bd_z.jpg

"You are right, as usual. Nevertheless I feel not quiet, our position is not so strong from land… I think we should hire more men, maybe build a palisade towards the jungle. And I think we should leave this damned island and enjoy our money in Mesabi Landing, Tortuga or another joyful city."

31564375047_416a276178_z.jpg

31564374767_c79e2f7d1a_z.jpg

"Mmh, taverns, alcool and high life… what a nice thought! One more month and we'll leave with all the gold of Hightown, I'm sure that some of those fatty pigs still hide money somewhere… let them starve for a while, and we'll take their gold for a piece of bread!"

"Sir, the Oleander cargo ship we spotted has let down the sails… it has stopped right outside the bay! Hades knows what those drunkards are waiting for!"

Meanwhile, a figure was crawling in the bushes behind the turret, a tomahawk in his hand.

31564375587_e777ff8a6c_z.jpg

The man climbed the turret. The sentinel was staring the sea, as he had done for the last hour. Easier than expected… this sentinel was the last one. A quick hit with the handle of the axe, a dull thud, and all clear for his comrades.

31564375667_4b3ca0cc23_z.jpg

Everything seemed moving faster: a musket fired…

46459914182_c4dac31bf1_z.jpg

...sharply interrupting the conversation of the pirates.

45591244865_198686b79f_z.jpg

There wasn't even a real battle: it wasn't matter of bravery or cowardice, since the pirates were completely surrounded and no resistance was possible…

46504187441_daf88a815e_m.jpg

...how could they fight with a gun already pointed against their face?

46504187231_f545ca3676_z.jpg

46504187311_9d8f3525c4_z.jpg

Things were going well, thought Tristan, even better than expected… now everything was in his friend's hands, since the incoming ships loaded with supplies needed a safe landing point in the bay, far enough from Fort Saint Millar cannons. 
Using a little mirror, his men sent a light signal to Le Phénix, the ship waiting outside. The timing had been incredibly good, thought Tristan, thanking Poseidon for His help… with a bit of luck, that evening all the inhabitants of Charlatan Bay would have had something to eat, and Gustaf would have received all the guns he needed for his men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This build was strongly inspired to Kwatchi's hidden battery (I referred with a link to his build), that I considered a crucial element in the joined storyline about Charlatan Bay

Edited by Keymonus

Great defenses, with great fort...

Nice scene overall...

Is there an Oleonese invasion on Charlatan Bay ?

Is there a test like in Quinnsville or should I divert some ships from their primary goals to deal with the invaders ?

Excellent build and fabulous story. It seems there is hope yet for the innocent inhabitants of Charlatan Bay!

I particularly like your trenches, and the way you have made it seem perfectly natural to have the attackers sneak through the undergrowth.

And to top it off, it is a very interesting storyline!

1 hour ago, Bregir said:
  1. Excellent build and fabulous story. It seems there is hope yet for the innocent inhabitants of Charlatan Bay!

I particularly like your trenches, and the way you have made it seem perfectly natural to have the attackers sneak through the undergrowth.

And to top it off, it is a very interesting storyline!

Thank you! I took inspiration from some LEGO WWI trenches I saw on the web and tried something more suitable to sail age.

2 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Great defenses, with great fort...

Nice scene overall...

Is there an Oleonese invasion on Charlatan Bay ?

Is there a test like in Quinnsville or should I divert some ships from their primary goals to deal with the invaders ?

Thank you! Don't worry about hostile Oleonese actions: this build is only the furtherance of a joined storyline about the restoration of order in Charlatan Bay after the Marderian occupation, the volcanic eruption and the following riots. My men (even if it doesn't seem :pir_tong2:) are on the island only as a support/humanitarian force helping Roadmonkeytj's men; they don't wear Oleonese uniforms and do not receive direct orders from the motherland (thing that could cause me some legal troubles coming back home).

Nice build, the entranchment looks very convincing, with these logs, and great story too.

Very well done indeed! I love the addition of the trenches!  Also I think I have my next build in mind for this story as well! 

Check your pm! 

Nice build and story, well done on the trenches and greenery.

This build shows I missed a lot during my time at sea.

Thank you all for your comments! My next part of the story, with the cargo ship landing in a safe area, will be posted soon!