Jeffinslaw

[MOC] Southern Pacific 4-10-2

The 4-10-2 wheel arrangement, often referred to as the Southern Pacific for the railroad which put it to use most successfully, was a unique design that utilized three-cylinders instead of the traditional two. In terms of steam locomotive evolution, it followed the 2-10-2 Santa Fe but the American Locomotive Company's (Alco) desire to advance three-cylinder technology proved somewhat problematic, at least for the Union Pacific (which referred to its roster as "Overlands" for its Overland Route main line). The SP on the other hand found their fleet quite useful and reliable in regular service and continued to use them for nearly 30 years until diesels finally took over.

Hey guys! I wanted to share my completed model of Southern Pacific's 4-10-2 steam engine. I designed this model myself taking inspiration from brass models of the engine and techniques from various builders here on EB and Flickr. This model took me several months to design, build, and test but it is finally completed! The best part? You can purchase your own set of instructions to build the same model! Yes, that's right. Have all of those amazing BMR rolling stock and maybe one or two of my SP & UP PFE cars but no engine to pull it? Well now you can build an expertly modeled steam engine that will fit in with your rolling stock perfectly. Instructions can be purchased here: https://www.bricktraindepot.com/product-page/southern-pacific-4-10-2 

The model is powered by two XL PF motors, and a AAA battery box in the tender. An SBrick is housed in the tender as well. Features side rods by @zephyr1934. This engine can haul a LOT of rolling stock. Was going to test with all 45 of my train cars here soon but I am positive it will work exceptionally well.

Let's get on to some pictures!

44992570464_58a6d224be_b.jpgSouthern Pacific 4-10-2 by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

31845554798_3e8ef90a6c_b.jpgSouthern Pacific 4-10-2 by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

44992571254_dd6ea6e6c9_b.jpgSouthern Pacific 4-10-2 by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

31845554398_0a4fe1edaa_b.jpgSouthern Pacific 4-10-2 by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

Hope you guys like it! Let me know what you think.

-Jeffinslaw

Edited by Jeffinslaw

That is an excellent build. I like how you got the continuous curve on the cab (only one of many eye catching detailed bits throughout). What is the power, an XL motor or two in the tender?

This loco is packed with great details - when I first saw the pictures, I thought "Ok, where's the Lego version?" The tender bogies are really well designed and that angled cab front really sets it off!

You've captured the Southern Pacific class perfectly. Great work, can't wait to see it hauling some tonnage.

15 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That is an excellent build. I like how you got the continuous curve on the cab (only one of many eye catching detailed bits throughout). What is the power, an XL motor or two in the tender?

Thank you! There are two XL motors in the tender.

2 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

This loco is packed with great details - when I first saw the pictures, I thought "Ok, where's the Lego version?" The tender bogies are really well designed and that angled cab front really sets it off!

Why thank you! I tried to create the most accurate model I possibly could.

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

You've captured the Southern Pacific class perfectly. Great work, can't wait to see it hauling some tonnage.

Should have a video soon, just need to find a large enough space to set up some track.

13 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice design for this locomotive ...I like how the roof looks curved :wub:

The tender is lovely too with its tank shape

Thanks! I'm very pleased with how the roof and tender turned out.

Thanks for the comments guys!

-Jeffinslaw

First of all, thank-you  Jeffinslaw for releasing BI for this fantastic locomotive.

I'm a 'detail freak' to the max, so I added valve gear rods the best I could representing "Valve Gear" for this locomotive. Also to member Zephyr1934 for his custom rods too.

It took several tries to get the valve gear to operate as the real one does, although not exactly like "Baker Valve Gear" some control rods are way too small to replicate in LEGO elements. I moved the 'pivot point' of the added valve gear all over the place where it didn't interfere with the driver wheels or any other moving/stationary parts. 

The downside to all these added parts makes the SP Loco almost 10, actually it's 12 wide across the ends of the half crankshaft!

So I will be adding separate train tracks just for this in my display as it will not pass through my new train station unless I like picking up parts sheared off from the platforms as the train tries to go through!

Suggested valve gear adds........

800x450.jpg

I had asked @Jeffinslaw about various liftarms to use and found the 'half crankshaft' to be the best choice in my MOD, as the 1x2 technic liftarm moves the valve gear to much and everything "locks up" through its' cycle of movement.

800x450.jpg

I'm also going to add an LED headlight to this creation too, this locomotive must have a headlight in my book!

Edited by ritztoys

Absolutely stunning. :wub: I'm at a lose for words. You've done a fantastic job. :thumbup:

13 hours ago, ritztoys said:

- Snip -

Wow! Excellent job! I found that cutting off the pin portion of part 3749 in light grey works well for the eccentric crank connection.

-Jeffinslaw

14 hours ago, ritztoys said:

First of all, thank-you  Jeffinslaw for releasing BI for this fantastic locomotive.

I'm a 'detail freak' to the max, so I added valve gear rods the best I could representing "Valve Gear" for this locomotive. Also to member Zephyr1934 for his custom rods too.

It took several tries to get the valve gear to operate as the real one does, although not exactly like "Baker Valve Gear" some control rods are way too small to replicate in LEGO elements. I moved the 'pivot point' of the added valve gear all over the place where it didn't interfere with the driver wheels or any other moving/stationary parts. 

The downside to all these added parts makes the SP Loco almost 10, actually it's 12 wide across the ends of the half crankshaft!

So I will be adding separate train tracks just for this in my display as it will not pass through my new train station unless I like picking up parts sheared off from the platforms as the train tries to go through!

Suggested valve gear adds........

800x450.jpg

I had asked @Jeffinslaw about various liftarms to use and found the 'half crankshaft' to be the best choice in my MOD, as the 1x2 technic liftarm moves the valve gear to much and everything "locks up" through its' cycle of movement.

800x450.jpg

I'm also going to add an LED headlight to this creation too, this locomotive must have a headlight in my book!

That looks really good! Indeed, valve gear can be finicky to get working smoothly (so many points of contact). It always seems to require a combination of a PhD in mechanical engineering and a bit of black magic to get them working well. You might want to take a look at my valve gear build on this model,

v4.jpg_thumb.jpg

There are a few things in that build that you might consider, (1) at the "cylinder" try flipping the technic half pins around, you should be able to avoid the use of the 1x1 "washers" to keep the pin between the bars. (2) have you tried swapping the top two holes in the 3 hole bar in your design? That would cut the travel of the valve rod and let you go back to a 2 long half width technic beam for the eccentric. But it would come at the cost of putting the connections in the wrong order. You could also go to a 4 long 3 hole bar to keep the order as it is now but keep the travel down. The half crankshafts have low clutch, and going back to a 2 long half width technic beam would allow you to bring it back to 10 wide at the maximum point (3) if you want to eliminate the top lego bar for the valve gear, note how I discretely used a black 2 long full width technic beam to connect the bar in the my design.

Sorry Jeffislaw, didn't mean to high jack your post, just want to improve a great looking Loco!

Zephyr1934, I'm still trying different combinations of all parts associated with this type of valve gear(had to take a break, Dentist pulled 4-eye teeth!)

Your suggestions are well received, with some new ideas..... I'll post what I come up with, maybe nothing changes I don't know yet! I also like your 2nd attachment point too.

Zephyr1934, I took your suggestions to rebuild, and rebuilt all afternoon..............it worked!

I added a #10 axle without tech connectors and put 1x2 thin liftarms on each end, and this moved the pivot forward, making all the difference for this mod.

Thank-you Jeffinslaw & Zephyr1934 for your help......

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by ritztoys

12 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

Looks awesome! Nice job!

-Jeffinslaw

Thank-you Jeff, your design of this beautiful locomotive was just needing a little more detail(in my mind) as it will have it's own display case.

Besides, it is very interesting to watch go by on a track layout and see all those 'rods' going through their movements. Not exactly like 'Baker Valve Gear', but similar.

(I'll tear up the living room and move out furniture to lay out some track to test it!)

Now all I have to do is build some rolling stock or some fancy coaches.(next fall)

2 hours ago, ritztoys said:

Thank-you Jeff, your design of this beautiful locomotive was just needing a little more detail(in my mind) as it will have it's own display case.

Besides, it is very interesting to watch go by on a track layout and see all those 'rods' going through their movements. Not exactly like 'Baker Valve Gear', but similar.

(I'll tear up the living room and move out furniture to lay out some track to test it!)

Now all I have to do is build some rolling stock or some fancy coaches.(next fall)

Very happy to hear you like it! Share some pictures when you are all done!

-Jeffinslaw

Well Jeff, it's all done. Track tested an' everything! Next step is to find room for a bigger track layout!

800x450.jpg

Yes, that's a working headlight, the other LED is buried inside the boiler(not doing anything, I thought about having a "boiler glow", but changed my mind.)

800x450.jpg

Once again thank-you Jeffinslaw this was a very enjoyable build, including my personal mods too.

@ritztoys: fantastic job! You're the first person I've seen who has completed the build and posted pictures of it. What did you think of the instructions? Easy to follow along? What about the build in general? By the way, what was your total part cost?

-Jeffinslaw

4 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

@ritztoys: fantastic job! You're the first person I've seen who has completed the build and posted pictures of it. What did you think of the instructions? Easy to follow along? What about the build in general? By the way, what was your total part cost?

-Jeffinslaw

Thanks Jeff, The instructions are very good and clear to understand, I found only 1 issue. The elevation of the chassis that supports the boiler in one spot needed to change as it 'tilted' the boiler. (didn't look correct)

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed building my first "steamer". 

I think anyone wanting to build such a locomotive as yours should fully 'pull the trigger' and get into LEGO trains!

I had quite a few of the elements already in my "unemployed brick section", but I would guess I spent around $275-300+, that included the custom 'rods' by Zephyr1934

During the build I tested this loco on 9v track radius, and it works ok, but this loco desires R104 radius track IMHO......

5 hours ago, ritztoys said:

Thanks Jeff, The instructions are very good and clear to understand, I found only 1 issue. The elevation of the chassis that supports the boiler in one spot needed to change as it 'tilted' the boiler. (didn't look correct)

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed building my first "steamer". 

I think anyone wanting to build such a locomotive as yours should fully 'pull the trigger' and get into LEGO trains!

I had quite a few of the elements already in my "unemployed brick section", but I would guess I spent around $275-300+, that included the custom 'rods' by Zephyr1934

During the build I tested this loco on 9v track radius, and it works ok, but this loco desires R104 radius track IMHO......

Can you tell me what step that issue was in? The engine can handle R40 and up but yes, it does look great on R104+

-Jeffinslaw

@Jeffinslaw I found that the 'chassis support' for the boiler needed adjusting, to properly support the boiler across all areas you designed into this creation.(rigid hose on bottom?)

For reference I modified the support between the wheels(rear most driver wheel) I added a 1x4 plate on top of the "jumpers" under the tile, page 68, step 69.

The second driver wheel(moving forward), I removed that support completely and replaced with a 1x4 tile only, no slope assembly.

The next driver wheel has the 'boiler pin' connection between the wheels, I didn't change anything here.

The next driver wheel has a 1x4 tile across the chassis sides, I added a 1x4 plate, under this tile. The tile barely rises above the flange of that said wheel.

So the boiler is supported @ three places, including the 'pin'. (rear most 'rigid hose' assembly, connection pin, 'middle rigid hose' assembly)

The very front bottom of the boiler rests between the 1x4 plates w/2 studs. (seen below at right side of photo)

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

A little hard to see, I was most concerned where the edge of the 'grills' came too close to the edge of the rear driver wheel, for me if this loco is going to run all day long on my display I wanted everything to clear and not possibly rub on other parts.

(These notes/suggestions are just my personal opinion here, not bashing this creation at all.)

I appreciate it! Those are some good modifications. I'll have to check out how mine is and might implement these changes myself!

-Jeffinslaw