Bart

[SR-CHII prize-Fatu Hiva] Royal Basilica of the Faith

I know challenge II is been a while back, but I found out a bit later that I had won a prize. This started out as a build to claim that prize, which is technically still possible, but well it got a little bigger:

--

After Captain Adolar Brickdottir that the Mayor of Fatu Hiva had granted them a license to build a free building in Fatu Hiva for their efforts in exploring the island and trying to find the source of all the evil. She told some local builders to build Fatu Hiva a temple for the Faith. The local builders didn't waist any tie and cleared a large part of the Jungle just outside Fatu Hiva and started with constructions. The builders elevated the grounds with battlements as to raise the Basilica above the jungle to show the superiority of the Faith over the pagans hiding in the Jungle, imported the best white marble they could find and covered the roofs with the brightest blue slates all the way from the mines in old Oleon. The idoils of the pagans where turned in to good use and all remolted to decorate the outside of the Basilica in gold and silver statues. To maintain the Basilica the builders added an monastery to the build compleet with gardens.  

45565318495_3de86d00f0_z.jpgBasilisk of the Faith 1 by Bart, on Flickr

46427287282_5d76b9bb3a_z.jpgBasilisk of the Faith 2 by Bart, on Flickr

45565318405_ef4a5dfaf1_z.jpgBasilisk of the Faith 3 by Bart, on Flickr

46427287092_b4b8cc88b1_z.jpgBasilisk of the Faith 4 by Bart, on Flickr

45565318275_a642963633_z.jpgBasilisk of the Faith 5 by Bart, on Flickr

As you can tell I accidentally surpassed my free license size wise a lot, it's not a large Art's and Culture. But it surpases the Royal size limits. 

Therefore:

@Captain Genaro @blackdeathgr @Phred as Oleon staff and @Captain Braunsfeld for running the Challenge:

To: Lord Chancellor Calida Supreme High Priest of the Clerics of Zeus
From: Adolar Brickdottir, Captain of the West Compagnie of the 
1st Battalion Derr's Expeditionary Light Infantry

Fatu Hiva, 27 December 618

Your excellenty,

I write to you as to my knowlidge you are the most powerfull person in the Faith.
On my behave a Basilica for the Faith has been constructed in Fatu Hiva.
I would like to humbly ask you for a royal grant for the building, so as it may be valued in the grandeur it shows.

Best regards, 
Adolar Brickdottir

--

I've been trying to build a basilica a few times before in LDD but always got suck on the scale when using regular minifigs as a base. But now this prize came on my path and asked for a micro scale, so I started with the small minifig trophy figures as a size base, first the facede with the rose window grew and then I wanted a dome, and then well it had to stay into the proportions my mind had mapped out. 

If Oleon things this is not worth a Royal charter, no worries I'll use the free license I won at challenge II. If you do I need to collect some moneys to get the license paid, but lets not worry about that. 

Bart

2 hours ago, Bart said:

but well it got a little bigger:

and the understatement of the year goes to.... :pir_tong2:

A simply fantastic effort here. The sheer scale is amazing and the fact that it is microscale doesn't diminish from the majesty of the building. I especially like how the whole thing is mounted on fortification style bastions. My favourite part is the monk's cloisters, just full of fantastic detail with the atrium style dormitories and gardens and the column of monks. Great job and I have asked the court to consider it for Royal status.

@Bart after seeing the facade as we discussed this ... It turned out even better than I imagined.   Honestly if you left the figs off it would take a min to realise its micro.  

Well done and this is a favorite of mine right now! 

13 hours ago, Bodi said:

Looks fabulous, the amount of details is astonishing, nice work.:thumbup:

Thank you, it was fun building this.

10 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

and the understatement of the year goes to.... :pir_tong2:

A simply fantastic effort here. The sheer scale is amazing and the fact that it is microscale doesn't diminish from the majesty of the building. I especially like how the whole thing is mounted on fortification style bastions. My favourite part is the monk's cloisters, just full of fantastic detail with the atrium style dormitories and gardens and the column of monks. Great job and I have asked the court to consider it for Royal status.

Thanks, I like how the monastary turned out too, that to me is more true 'microscale' then the Basilica it self.

10 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Bart after seeing the facade as we discussed this ... It turned out even better than I imagined.   Honestly if you left the figs off it would take a min to realise its micro.  

Well done and this is a favorite of mine right now! 

Thanks, yeah I've had a normal minifig next to it in LDD and even then it's big, although not grande anymore as what I intended to build.

4 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Wow. Now there's a reason to visit!

The padre is more then welcome :)

3 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Yog ! Stunning !

Thanks Prof, I hope you now understand why in the SR thread I said I couldn't place it in any Searat town, it would not be fitting.

Bart

:wub:  Lovely!  Architecture, roofs, stained glass windows - pretty much everything here is perfect!  The trees/grass/bushes (I'm not quite sure given the scale :grin: :laugh:) give an awesome texture and surrounding as well - fantastic job all around!

Wow!  This is a fantastic build, strangely enough the fact that it's microscale actually makes it look massive, the nanofigures are so small!  Lovely dome, curve on the end of the roof, and flying buttresses!  I also really like the subtle slope on the dark grey foundation.  Great job!

3 hours ago, Garmadon said:

:wub:  Lovely!  Architecture, roofs, stained glass windows - pretty much everything here is perfect!  The trees/grass/bushes (I'm not quite sure given the scale :grin: :laugh:) give an awesome texture and surrounding as well - fantastic job all around!

Thank you. They're intended to be trees :blush:

6 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Wow!  This is a fantastic build, strangely enough the fact that it's microscale actually makes it look massive, the nanofigures are so small!  Lovely dome, curve on the end of the roof, and flying buttresses!  I also really like the subtle slope on the dark grey foundation.  Great job!

Thank you,
The slope is just a simple 2x2x3 sloped brick which is very nice at this scale. 
The flying buttresses are actually architecturealy necessary, I think the walls would fall over if build in real bricks, as the walls aren't sideways supported any other way and stand inside on pillars. *because I wanted the glass behind the windows I didn't do an interior, but otherwise it is possible. 

Awesome Dome. This basilica looks stunning. Probably the biggest building in that part of the Brick Seas right now.

An excellent addition to Fatu Hiva, and certainly a worthy basilica for the Order. Your introduction does a nice job incorporating the build into the events of the BOBS world, and the monetary was a great addition to an already sublime build. 

Absolutely beautiful. :wub: The layout and overall design are lovely, particularly that giant dome. What part is the lowermost blue portion of the dome made from?

The color scheme is really good, and the renders turned out nicely. I especially like the view of the second-to-last pic for some reason. The trees frame it all well, even if they are a bit short.

Keep it up.

15 hours ago, Elostirion said:

This is just insanely impressive. A brilliant addition to BoBS. Just wow.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Awesome Dome. This basilica looks stunning. Probably the biggest building in that part of the Brick Seas right now.

This far east yes as far as I know the biggest.

12 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Absolutely gorgeous

Thanks

11 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

An excellent addition to Fatu Hiva, and certainly a worthy basilica for the Order. Your introduction does a nice job incorporating the build into the events of the BOBS world, and the monetary was a great addition to an already sublime build. 

If not for winning in the challenge, i  probably wouldnt have build it.

11 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Stunning work. Beautiful. I don't know what else I can add to the other comments. :thumbup:

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Absolutely beautiful. :wub: The layout and overall design are lovely, particularly that giant dome. What part is the lowermost blue portion of the dome made from?

The color scheme is really good, and the renders turned out nicely. I especially like the view of the second-to-last pic for some reason. The trees frame it all well, even if they are a bit short.

Keep it up.

I'll check in LDD fot the part name later today (i think its in the window part folder) there where maybe 7 versions of the dome before deciding on this one as this is the best scale and shape i could master.

The trees are taller then the nano figures but i wanted the base of the building to stick out on top so conpromises where made. 

14 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

(...) What part is the lowermost blue portion of the dome made from?

(...)

In LDD the part is named "screen bowed - 4x8x2" it probably doesn't exist in dark blue in real bricks but thats the advantage of LDD :p 

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

Ro-yal! Ro-yal!Ro-yal!!! Stunning enough, massive enough, simply beautiful!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, TomSkippy said:

Wow.

The simplicity of your reply made me smile :)

On 12/29/2018 at 12:14 AM, dr_spock said:

Beautiful LDD build.  Fitting for a royal.   :pir-classic:

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Wonderful, really wonderful.

I saw my name somewhere up there - what am I supposed to do? :pir_wacko:

Thanks, I didn't know whom exactly to ask abiut the royal license so you got tagged because you ran the challenge. 

Professor Thaum informed me the Royal was granted. But I cant afford it :/ 

7 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Congrats on hitting the front page @Bart!

This is to much honour :0

As I said elsewhere, Bart, this is absolutely spectacular. First of all, the whole setup with the forest around it and the raised battlements and monastary give it both a sense of scale and grandeur, and makes it a more realistic setup altogether.

Second, the basilica itself looks like it could be something real. It has the proper (to the best of my knowledge, that is) layout, and loads of great architectural details. The dome is in itself brilliant, but the stained glass, flying buttresses, grand entrances and subtle dis-symmetries like the two different towers really makes this an absolute beauty, and the frontpage is well-deserved!

Additionally, you have given it a story to make it fit into the world of BoBS, something that is sometimes forgotten on a grand build like this.

6 minutes ago, Bart said:

But I cant afford it :/ 

Start a fundraiser - ask for donations to the faith, have the faith/oleon finance you, seek outside investors, collude with your fellow rats, or similar. There is money enough in BoBs to build several of these, all you need to do is find the right investor at the right price. So shop around a bit for the best offer, both economically, administratively, and strategically. :)