67 members have voted

1. 1. On scale 1-5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

IMG_5832.PNG.ba6c8e6bf95bd20370afb846aca47672.PNG

Hello everyone. It has been a while since my last review. Now that I have my hands on this colourful spacemen set, I gave a little bit of my time to make this review. 

This is a quick one, if you have any question, just ask in the comment area and I'll try my best to take a photo and answer your question. Enjoy!

These are all the space guys I have in my stash now. Not all are included in this set. 

Introduction

There are lots of colours of spacemen since the classic space. I think after getting this set, I only need red and black to complete the whole spacemen collection (correct me if I'm wrong). So what are you waiting for? This is really a worthy set to grab!

Overview

Name: 70841 Benny's Space Squad
Year: 2018
Pieces: 68
Minifigures: 4 plus a droid
Price: RM49 / £12.99 

The Box

Very nice purplish blue starter pack sized box. Now you know the names of the spacemen at the back of the box.

The content of the box. Two bags without number.

The parts in the bags.

All other spacemen got classic faces. Only Benny has two facial expressions.

Benny's alternate surprised face. He is the only one faded throughout the years. :laugh:

Accessories. 

The builds are simple and easy spaceship and space cart. The droid feels like Star Wars. The slope is printed.

Tony: Great. Now the Infinity Stones can speak.

Summary review
Playability: 5/10 Not really playable but the colours are great for photos!
Design: 9/10 I love the colours!
Price: 10/10 Very worthy space starter pack!
Overall: 9/10 This is a good set for minifigures.

I hope you enjoy reading my simple review and do express your comments below. :wink:

Decent review of a pretty simple set.

Do you have any of the original space helmets so you could compare the old with the new? The new ones seem slightly thicker from these pictures, presumably to prevent the kind of common damage to the original helmets that Benny exemplifies.

I have bought my first squad today! If only Benny wasn't damaged and scratched but was a generic blue spaceman instead I would have bought the store's whole stock! He's a nice character, but I would feel to pity to get loads of copies of Benny that I wouldn't use.

I'm going to assemble them right now!

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Decent review of a pretty simple set.

Do you have any of the original space helmets so you could compare the old with the new? The new ones seem slightly thicker from these pictures, presumably to prevent the kind of common damage to the original helmets that Benny exemplifies.

Thanks @Lyichir  for the comment. While I'm still thinking of how to answer your question, @Space Police XVIII already did that for me, thanks a lot! 

5 hours ago, Wesley D said:

I have bought my first squad today! If only Benny wasn't damaged and scratched but was a generic blue spaceman instead I would have bought the store's whole stock! He's a nice character, but I would feel to pity to get loads of copies of Benny that I wouldn't use.

I'm going to assemble them right now!

Yes! Unbox them now!

1 hour ago, Space Police XVIII said:

I was curious about this myself, so took a couple photos.

head gears

The 'mandible' of the helmet does get thicker throughout the years. Thanks again @Space Police XVIII for the great picture!

10 hours ago, kaelthas said:

Tony: Great. Now the Infinity Stones can speak.

Ok, that's somehow pretty hilarious for what otherwise I'd consider to be a lame joke. :thumbup: :head_back:

2 hours ago, Space Police XVIII said:

I was curious about this myself, so took a couple photos.

Ooooooh, I was waiting for this! Thanks for the pics too! :thumbup: :sweet:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

18 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ok, that's somehow pretty hilarious for what otherwise I'd consider to be a lame joke. :thumbup: :head_back:

Haha. Too bad the colours are not the same with the real gems. 

20 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ooooooh, I was waiting for this! Thanks for the pics too! :thumbup: :sweet:

Yes, special thanks to @Space Police XVIII . I don't have them in my stash so its impossible for me to provide this. Amazing folks here in Eurobricks community. 

11 hours ago, kaelthas said:

Playability: 5/10 Not really playable but the colours are great for photos!

This is an opinion of an adult ahaha!

Apart from this, I totally agree with your review. This is a must set for any AFOL and kids alike. :laugh:

Great minifig set but I really do hope they also make set(s) with regular Red, Black, Blue spacemen in the near future.

(maybe some more Green as well as they have been made for an Ideas set)

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Great minifig set but I really do hope they also make set(s) with regular Red, Black, Blue spacemen in the near future.

Well they did forget Denny and Penny. :tongue:

Nice little set and review, but I find the head photo / front page photo somewhat misleading as it includes elements not found in this set.

Great review and a worthwhile set for the minifigures. If anything monochrome minifigure collector’s could find some value in these parts. 

On 12/27/2018 at 8:00 AM, TeriXeri said:

(maybe some more Green as well as they have been made for an Ideas set)

Don't forget Light Bluish Grey too! :wink:

Very fine review. Love the finale picture.  This set is nowhere to be seen and is selling like hotcakes in Singapore. 

Thanks for the review, this set is awesome! This is probably as close to a new Classic Space set we will ever get, gonna get a lot of these. An undamaged Benny would have been perfection of course, but 3 new Classic Space figs + a printed brick at that price is a great deal regardless.

The original classic space minifigute colors were white, red, yellow, black, and blue.  Since then we have gotten green from the Exo-Suit, and a torso for light bluish gray in CMF S17's Rocket Boy which can be completed minus the airtanks.  We now also have dark pink from this set.  Here's the whole gang;

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br3fF-MFFq5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=d959jfoq0mnr

On 12/27/2018 at 6:26 PM, koalayummies said:

Well they did forget Denny and Penny. :tongue:

And with a few letter chances, there's more possibilities like Sandy and Candy.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:38 PM, LegoFjotten said:

This is probably as close to a new Classic Space set we will ever get, gonna get a lot of these.

Ehhh, I wouldn't be so certain of that yet, as per this recent TLM2 TV spot... :wink:

screencap.jpg.3b08f89a20e7d670da7059ffa861a356.jpg

On 12/30/2018 at 3:38 PM, LegoFjotten said:

An undamaged Benny would have been perfection of course, but 3 new Classic Space figs + a printed brick at that price is a great deal regardless.

Hey, there could always be the possibility of seeing further recolors of the new ol' style helmet mold pop-up somewhere else, including in Blue! :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Those spaceships are shown in the background on the box of this set as well. (right side, above Benny)

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ehhh, I wouldn't be so certain of that yet, as per this recent TLM2 TV spot... :wink:

I would love to be wrong on this, we'll see when the dust has settled...

I saw on some of the AFOL blogs that these sets are rather difficult to get.  So I was really happy to see that LEGOLAND Florida had plenty of them.  Unfortunately the only LEGO Movie 2 polybag available was Emmet's 'Piece' offering (30340).  Of course I got it anyway.  I definitely plan on doing some 'army' building. :)

On 12/28/2018 at 1:30 PM, HawkLord said:

Great review and a worthwhile set for the minifigures. If anything monochrome minifigure collector’s could find some value in these parts. 

Indeed, it’s been a while since we’ve had yellow hips and legs. I’ve grabbed a few sets off BrickLink since it will be months before it comes to NZ. My yellow monofig will have some new hips and legs finally!

How many sets have you all already? How many sets does it takes before it gets overdone? :innocent2:

Has anyone an idea what the chances are we could find the minifigure parts available sooner or later on Bricks & Pieces?

11 hours ago, Wesley D said:

How many sets have you all already? How many sets does it takes before it gets overdone? :innocent2:

Only 1.

I rather wait and see if they make some more generic sets instead of having many Benny's.

If the nostalgia really kicks in , I still got some original (old) Classic Space stuff around, but I do keep my old (up to year 2000) and new (2015+) LEGO seperate

Edited by TeriXeri