Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

Where can I get cheap LEGO parts

Not urgent,

but I have a plan of starting to create my own buildings, after finishing more than 10 sets in two months of time (I started playing LEGO only on August 2019)

I want to create very tall buildings, instead of house, I don't think LEGO will

have any of sets like this in the past or in the future, Never, ever...

Two general questions now,

1. Where can I get cheap LEGO parts? Nevermind if it's second hand but I 

mind if it's LEPIN, I only like real and authentic parts.

2. Where can I learn skills of creating my own buildings? Any such tutorials online?

Edited by ks6349

To answer your first question: If you cheap parts, find a modular building set that has mostly the building parts you need then buy 1 or 2 of that set. The reason I say this is is because the last 4 modular sets at least have had their Price Per Piece ratio at less than £0.08 whereas if you buy the parts individually from places like BrickLink or Bricks and Pieces (Lego’s own individual parts service. At the minute, they’re not taking any orders until 1st February 2019 (They are on their annual shutdown, presumably to cope with Christmas gifts having missing pieces)) then it will cost you an awful lot more to buy the parts.

Set 10225 Assembly Square has quite a good PPP (Price Per Piece) Ratio but depends what pieces you need. Alternatively, if you need to know what pieces are in a set, use this and type the set number in and it will give you the full list of pieces in that set.

If you need anything else just tag me @J4ck. Hope this helps :wink:

For inexpensive parts I always look for sets on clearance sale at local shops, even if they are not themes I care for, if they have useful parts I buy them. Often I get them for .05 cents a piece or less. For someone like me who more or less is just starting to collect, it is a good way to build stock fast. 

11 hours ago, J4ck said:

To answer your first question: If you cheap parts, find a modular building set that has mostly the building parts you need then buy 1 or 2 of that set. The reason I say this is is because the last 4 modular sets at least have had their Price Per Piece ratio at less than £0.08 whereas if you buy the parts individually from places like BrickLink or Bricks and Pieces (Lego’s own individual parts service. At the minute, they’re not taking any orders until 1st February 2019 (They are on their annual shutdown, presumably to cope with Christmas gifts having missing pieces)) then it will cost you an awful lot more to buy the parts.

Set 10225 Assembly Square has quite a good PPP (Price Per Piece) Ratio but depends what pieces you need. Alternatively, if you need to know what pieces are in a set, use this and type the set number in and it will give you the full list of pieces in that set.

If you need anything else just tag me @J4ck. Hope this helps :wink:

Excuse me, what did you mean by " the last 4 modular set" ? The latest 4 Expert set? My english is not excellent. Which sets do you recommend so that I can at the same

time get a lot of parts for cheap

Creator sets are also good parts packs. They are designed for building a few models, so there are useful parts included. 

On 12/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Creator sets are also good parts packs. They are designed for building a few models, so there are useful parts included. 

Did you mean Creator 3 in 1? Yes, but you need a lot of sets ! Even 31026 only has a thousand parts, most other creator 3in1 has only a few hundreds parts

Edited by ks6349

On 12/29/2018 at 4:48 AM, ks6349 said:

Excuse me, what did you mean by " the last 4 modular set" ? The latest 4 Expert set? My english is not excellent. Which sets do you recommend so that I can at the same

time get a lot of parts for cheap

I meant the last 4 sets i.e. the latest 4 sets. Does this help? 

Set 10255 “Assembly Square” has the best PPP ratio out of the modulars. Depends which building parts you want though.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:04 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Often I get them for .05 cents a piece or less.

That would be 1/20th of a cent or less a piece. In other words: You're getting at least 20 pieces for just 1 cent. Or 2000 pieces or more for $1. How are you getting those prices?

47 minutes ago, 3797 said:

That would be 1/20th of a cent or less a piece. In other words: You're getting at least 20 pieces for just 1 cent. Or 2000 pieces or more for $1. How are you getting those prices?

Yea okay then,  will you believe,  0.05 of a dollar. Or 5 cents per piece, sorry to have incorrectly stated that. 

On 12/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, ks6349 said:

Did you mean Creator 3 in 1? Yes, but you need a lot of sets ! Even 31026 only has a thousand parts, most other creator 3in1 has only a few hundreds parts

Forget about the number of parts in a set - it is not a good number if you are MOCing. Look at the number of USEFUL parts in a set. Are you after mainly 1x4 bricks or 1x2 bricks for your buildings? If so, then look at the number of those, and in the right colour schemes, in a set. You will probably find bricklink is the cheapest place to buy them, probably used condition. It does depend on the colour of course. Street type buildings are popular (as are castles and space ships) so any colours used in those in useful sizes tend to be more expensive.

Another way to gather parts, if amassing any LEGO at all is your goal, is looking at the second-hand market. Though, in Asia I do not know how active or affordable it is.

Here in the UK, charity shops, flea markets, local selling pages and the like can supply parts very cheaply. On the weekend I picked up a box of bricks for £4 (£3.49 actually, but it was a charity shop, so I donated the change).There was clone brands in there, but once I parted them up I had a fair amount of LEGO at a good price. (And a lot of brick for my "monkey box" of bricks for kids to play with).

27 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Another way to gather parts, if amassing any LEGO at all is your goal, is looking at the second-hand market. Though, in Asia I do not know how active or affordable it is.

Here in the UK, charity shops, flea markets, local selling pages and the like can supply parts very cheaply. On the weekend I picked up a box of bricks for £4 (£3.49 actually, but it was a charity shop, so I donated the change).There was clone brands in there, but once I parted them up I had a fair amount of LEGO at a good price. (And a lot of brick for my "monkey box" of bricks for kids to play with).

Peppermint ... what charity shop was that if you don't mind telling?

It seems all of the charities near me take anything with value like Lego and send to their Leeds based eBay selling hub.

I guess that might not be the case with smaller charities but I've yet to find any Lego at all.

I don't mean to derail this thread. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, leafan said:

what charity shop

Local Hospice shop and also the Heart Foundation shop has had LEGO too. The hospice shop has been a source of many good finds for me.

1 hour ago, leafan said:

It seems all of the charities near me take anything with value like Lego and send to their Leeds based eBay selling hub.

I guess that might not be the case with smaller charities but I've yet to find any Lego at all.

I find the same thing. Anything in a LEGO box at the chain charity shops tends to get marked up at ebay prices. Whereas the one-off local ones have better prices but incredibly rare to see any LEGO in there.

There is also a chance of eBay or Gumtree or Facebook marketplace supplying what you need. Again, maybe a problem in Asia where the market is still pretty new for LEGO.